I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2024, 01:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My uncle stopped dialysis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My uncle stopped dialysis  (Read 7109 times)
Psim

« on: March 22, 2008, 08:23:09 PM »

I got an email from my cousin today saying that my uncle had decided to stop dialysis and was saying goodbye to friends and family for the next few days, and would love to hear from me. I phoned him -- he seemed in good spirits and was surrounded by family. It was an odd, but good conversation. He clearly didn't want it to be sad or difficult, and I took my cue from him (it's his death, if he wants laughter and not tears, I'll do my best). I was shook up though. He's a great guy. He's in his late eighties and has had a very full life (eight kids -- who all adore him!). It seems like  good way to die: when you feel ready, surrounded by love. But it's sad nonetheless.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »

It is sad, but thankfully he has a family who respects his wishes.
Here's a {{HUG}} for you Psim  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »

:cuddle;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

We are here if you or any family member needs a place to vent or ask questions. I honestly believe he has the right to do it his way under his terms and what a wonderful family to understand this.  :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »

Letting go of a family member is tough.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:35:16 AM »

He is blessed to have a family who understand his wishes and accept them.  Bless you all at this tough time and know that we are here if you need us.  :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:59:50 AM »

I admire him for going with dignity.  Being brave enough to say "Stop The Madness".   I hope it goes fast for him/them.

Here is a hug for you.                       :cuddle;

keefer51

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 05:11:55 AM »

I agree with you Rerun, I hope it goes fast too.

EDITED: Removed all caps - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:31:05 AM by Sluff » Logged

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 05:41:29 AM »

:cuddle; :cuddle;

CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 06:08:01 AM »

:big hug:

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 06:16:24 AM »

Psim  :grouphug; we are here for you.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:27 AM »

I'm so sorry psim. I hope goes peacefully and as comfortably as possible.  :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »

I'm so sorry, Psim. Knowing he has lived a good life and is surrounded by family who loves him is all any of us can ask for at the end.  :cuddle;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Psim

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »

Thanks so much for your support and  :grouphug; It makes such a difference to have a place where I can get so much understanding. You all seem to really get my mixed emotions. I feel really sad to lose him, but at the same time I can only admire him for how he's lived his life and how he's facing his death.  I sure hope the next few days go ok, and the hospice folks can keep him out of pain. I try to remember the words of my brother, who worked for a long time as an ambulance attendant. He says, even though the end of life is sometimes racked with pain and fear, we can still see through that to its dignity, meaning and beauty. But damn, I don't want him to suffer.

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 05:49:23 PM »

psim you and your family are in my prayers. May they do all they can to help him go peacefully. As someone who is in a place where their loved one has hinted many times they don't want to start, it is hard and quite understandable to have mixed emotions. Stopping dialysis is a very soulfully deep decision. :cuddle;
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:36:26 PM by ODAT » Logged

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »

A very difficult decision to make on your uncle's part.. a loving understanding family that will make his choice go as he wishes..

Love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »

I agree, what a tough decision and you have a wonderful family who would agree to let him deal with his life choice his way. I hopw you all can support each other as easily through this time and after he is gone.  Life is meant to be lived, and it sounds like he had a good and full life.   :grouphug; :grouphug;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »

Psim, I am sorry for your pain.   How marvelous, though, to be his age, with a loving strong family to help him in his last journey.  I can't think of a better way to leave this world. It sounds like he had a good life and raised a good family.  I hope when it is my time, I am surrounded by those who mean the most to me.   But, I know it is never easy to say goodbye and I know you are very sad.  I will keep your family in my prayers.  :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
devon

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »

My friend at 89 had suffered with Congestive Heart Failure. She was in an endless cycle of going into the hospital only to be discharged feeling better and then a couple months later repeating.  She decided that she'd had enough and stopped all meds and asked that she not be admitted again under any circumstances.  She passed in her sleep a couple weeks later. 

It is often WE who need to accept that the end must come more than then one at an advanced age making the difficult decision.

-Devon
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 06:21:27 AM »

It is often WE who need to accept that the end must come more than then one at an advanced age making the difficult decision.

-Devon

How true.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »

I'm sorry Psim.
I pray he is comfortable and free of pain.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Psim

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »

Thanks again to everyone. Your support means so much. And I'm thinking of you, ODAT. It's a hard hard place to be, I know. Wishing you and your whole family all the best.
Slywalker

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »

Psim - so sorry.  I have no words of wisdom for you.   You and your family are in my prayers. 

Big hugs   :grouphug;

Sandyb
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 07:12:56 AM »

*hugs* to psim.

just over 2 years ago when my mother was suffering from various things in hospital and things looked grim I happened to be there when she told the doctors to end the treatment so she could go with some form of dignity and not fight for every breath or against medication so strong it was destroying her kidneys and liver. That was one hell of a shock let me tell you HOWEVER seeing the peace she was in with her decision and the way SHE was able to say goodbye to us(family) and to organise things she wanted (eg: telling us exactly how she wanted her funeral service, etc) was important. When we could see how at peace she was with her decision - that she was done here... well that was what was important to me and us and what made it easier to handle.

I admire both your uncle's decision and courage as well as that of your family to support him. I have no doubt having his family's love and support makes it that much easier for him to go in the way HE wants.

I hope there is not too much pain or discomfort when the time comes. For my mother it was mercifully just a few days on morphene....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
The Wife

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 08:14:41 AM »

There are times when words just don't convey the feelings in our hearts.  During these times, we wish we could just sit beside someone and speak from the depth of our being.

I sit with you in silence.   :grouphug;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »