I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  which decade of music are you
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: which decade of music are you  (Read 8364 times)
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »

I also like the other 80's music (Depeche Mode, Oingo Boingo, Yellow,Haddaway).

I am weird when it comes to music.  I listen to anything from the 50's to the 90's with a bit of 2000's here and there.  It can be country, rock, rap (80's), classical (ok so this is pre 50's), show tunes... and the list goes on.  I thought I was the only person who knew Oingo Boingo though.  Have you ever seen the movie Forbidden Zone when they were still known as the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo?  It is an extremely odd movie with lots of sexual innuendo and nudity when they were in their theatric/experimental phase before breaking into the music scene.

It's not easy being green.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 12:34:59 PM »

Not until a month ago did I know that they were into theatric's prior to becoming Oingo Boingo when I was searching for other 80's music to download. Looks like I need to actually find  an original Thomas Dolby CD to get a good sound for the song "She blew me away with Science". I also listen to classical, mostly on radio but do have one Beetoven CD. On occasion, I do listen to opera, not much, but mixed with rock, it helps. I just stay away from Country music :puke;, Celine Dion :puke;, Barbara Striessand :puke;, or anyone else who annyoys the crap out of me :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Jill D.

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »

I was a teenager in the 70's, when the "expensive" concert tickets were $14.00! I was (and am) into what is now called "classis rock" - saw so many bands in concert: Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen, Jefferson Starship, James Taylor, Jackson Brown, Journey, REO Speedwagon, ZZ Top, Heart, AC/DC, J Geils Band, Ted Nugent, Bad Company, Head East, Molly Hatchet, Van Halen, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, Blackfoot  (just to name a few!) We always bought concert t-shirts and I still have most of them - someday want to make a wall hanging or something! I also LOVE Led Zeppelin (had tickets to see them in 1980 or 81, but the tour was cancelled when Jon Bonham died  :( ), Aerosmith, Ozzy Osbourne, Lynyrd Skynyrd,  Elton John

Nowadays, I also love Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Nickleback, Alice in Chains, Coldplay, STP, Matchbox 20, Natalie Merchant, and Counting Crows.

I saw a quilt made from concert t-shirts, each square was artwork from the shirts, it was pretty cool! (similar to these http://www.campusquilt.com/ideas/index.html)

My sister saw Zeppelin, I was so mad I missed it!

Karol - that's exactly what I was thinking of for my concert t-shirts! My sister-in-law is a whiz on the sewing machine, so I think I will hire her to make it for my husband for his birthday. After all, we were dating when we saw most of the concerts, so he paid for the tickets AND the shirts! :cuddle;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
mysty

I'm here.. for us.

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »

I listen to anything but rap..
but my senior prom's song was Free Bird.. it was the Peter Frampton era..
In high school that is.. (Also Boston, Eddy Money, Eagles, Cheap Trick, Super Tramp..Manson....Deep Purple

Outside of High School.. it was totally Country music...which to me is pretty timeless
Some say I like heart breaking music by listening to Country music..

I do love the oldies though.. the Supremes, The Five Stair Steps..

But to pick favorites.. I run between Joel, Clapton, Billie Holiday, Garth Brooks, Norah Jones..
See what I mean... I'm just all over the map!

Love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »

I just stay away from Country music :puke;, Celine Dion :puke;, Barbara Striessand :puke;, or anyone else who annyoys the crap out of me :rofl;

Me too! But you can add Mariah Carey (sp?) to that list too.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 10:08:13 AM »

I just stay away from Country music :puke;, Celine Dion :puke;, Barbara Striessand :puke;, or anyone else who annyoys the crap out of me :rofl;
And don't forget Whitney Houston!  (Yes, she has a great voice, but the way she sings makes me want to :puke;. Just my  :twocents;, of course.) 

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »

Anybody else remember when "New Wave" was actually new?  (Sounds like a few of you do ;).)  Well, that's my era -- late 70s/early 80s, overlapping a little bit with punk rock.  I was never much of a punker, but I do still have a soft soft in my heart for the Ramones (gabba gabba hey!).  Elvis Costello started out kind of punkish, then turned into new wave, I think; anyway, I like him.  I'm with you, Chris, on Depeche Mode and Thomas Dolby.  Also New Order and Talking Heads, and then a bunch of the one-hit wonders from that period.  Now, though, I will really listen to just about anything (excepting Whitney Houston, of course -- see above).  I even finding myself liking country some of the time, especially if it leans towards bluegrass.  Dolly Parton -- wow, she's great!  Linda Ronstadt too -- she was big when I was in high school -- and I still like her older stuff. 

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »

And don't forget Whitney Houston!  (Yes, she has a great voice, but the way she sings makes me want to :puke;. Just my  :twocents;, of course.) 
Yes, those two idiots too. Never did like their music either. Now if I could merge this smiley :guitar: with this smiley  :Kit n Stik;, that would work regarding some of these so called musicians. :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »

i got into music in the mid ninties when i started playing guitar.  I was big on lousy nu-metal bands like korn and limp bizkit, hendrix and black sabbath had a big influence too. now i listen to pretty much a littleof everythign. but mostly metal cause thats what i play :)
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 05:31:46 AM »

Of those three, Hendrix all the way! I wish I bought Hendrix Greatest Hits when Best Buy had it on sale, but gas was more important :'( ::)

I was privileged to see Jimi Hendrix live at a little club in my home town of Stockport. It was very early in his career (I think Hey Joe was just entering the British charts) and in those days artistes and bands usually honoured the smaller gigs they had booked in the days before they new they're careers were going to take off.

I've never seen anyone create so much expression and passion on a guitar since.....er well OK maybe Stevie Ray

Ken
isurvived

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 05:49:56 AM »

Despite saying what my musical preference was earlier in the thread, there are some bands that I listen to that one would consider outside of my decade. Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Chris Duarte, Tab Benoit(if you like SRV). Chris has a CD out called Texas Sugar that reminds me quite a bit of Stevie. Gary Hoey is another more recent artist that I like the sound of. I also listen to some jazz-big band type. Stuff like Glenn Miller, Louis Armstrong. Do not like improvisational stuff-too involved. Don't like opera or rap. Rap makes me feel like a typewriter with no bell. I even listen to classical-Rossini, Bach, Mozart.
NolaGail

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 06:02:51 AM »

JillD has a great list...  still love me some Aerosmith.  Although I like and am willing to listen to most music, (do not mean to offend here) I do not like rap.  It's not music to my ears  :puke;!  I have a minor in Music so I'll give most anything an ear.

I also was a young teenager during the Osmond reign (and they call it puppy love. . .)  :oops; did I admit that in public?

NolaGail

In His no-slip grip!

Living donor has one more test to go (4-14-2008).  Her left kidney could be mine in a few months.  No surgery date yet.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »

JillD has a great list...  still love me some Aerosmith.  Although I like and am willing to listen to most music, (do not mean to offend here) I do not like rap.  It's not music to my ears  :puke;!  I have a minor in Music so I'll give most anything an ear.

I also was a young teenager during the Osmond reign (and they call it puppy love. . .)  :oops; did I admit that in public?

NolaGail

Was it those purple sock's Donny had?  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

NolaGail

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 06:06:13 AM »

And to think that Donny Osmond is now a grandfather!  Well, that made me feel younger. . .NOT  :oops;

NolaGail

In His no-slip grip!

Living donor has one more test to go (4-14-2008).  Her left kidney could be mine in a few months.  No surgery date yet.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 04:47:28 AM »

and Meatloaf
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »