I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 08:18:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  'Rolling billboards' try to boost organ-donor awareness
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Rolling billboards' try to boost organ-donor awareness  (Read 3354 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 21, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »

'Rolling billboards' try to boost organ-donor awareness

By Lex Alexander
Staff Writer
Thursday, Mar. 20, 2008 3:00 am

Alexis McMillian's face is going up on the side of a tractor-trailer rig, and it's for a good cause.

McMillian, who lives in Greensboro, underwent a kidney transplant in 2006 after her kidneys failed. Since then, she has worked to educate the public on the need for organ donors.

As part of that work, she agreed to be depicted on a vinyl film wrap applied to a truck trailer. The wrap includes information touting the need for more people to become organ and tissue donors. The truck will display the wrap as it goes on its regular runs across the state.

The need for donors is critical. Some 2,928 North Carolinians remained on a waiting list for an organ transplant as of Friday. In 2007, 174 North Carolinians died waiting for a transplant.

The wraps are being created by the Rotary Club of Clemmons' "Have a Heart, Give a Part" campaign, using $5,000 of the club's money and a $50,000 grant from the state.

The group negotiated with trucking companies and independent truckers to find trucks on which to place the wraps. The first two wraps were unveiled Wednesday in Winston-Salem. One is on a truck operated by Triangle Warehouse and Distribution Services, the other on a Republic Waste Services truck.

Vomela, a High Point company, printed the wraps, which are guaranteed to last five years and should last seven to eight, said Rotary Club spokesman Ken Burkel.

The Rotary Club hopes to use the rest of the money to put 15 to 18 trucks on the road that will serve as rolling billboards for organ donation. It hopes other Rotary clubs in the state will join the project, raising the number of trucks to about 50.

The group is targeting trucks that operate exclusively in North Carolina.

Also, the trailers must have flat sides for the wrap to be applied.

"The trailers are not an end, but only a means to an end," Burkel said. "The end is zero deaths for lack of organs. ... There's not a shortage of organs. There's a shortage of donors."

People can register to become organ donors when they renew their driver's licenses. Previously, the heart icon on a person's license was not legally binding, but a state law that took effect in October makes the donor indication on the license a legally binding document.

People also can visit the N.C. Coalition on Donation online to download an organ-donor card. A way to register online is expected to become operational later this year.

McMillian began volunteering to help with organ-donation education efforts after her transplant. Working through a volunteer group affiliated with Carolina Donor Services, the federally designated organ-procurement agency for this area, she has spoken to schools, health fairs and religious and civic groups.

"It's important to get the information out to the public so they can be educated and make an informed decision on being an organ donor," she said.

Even if it means putting her face on the side of a truck.

Contact Lex Alexander at 373-7088 or lex.alexander@news-record.com

MORE ONLINE
To download an organ donor card: http://www.donatelifenc.org

Carolina Donor Services: http://www.carolinadonorservices.org

The United Network for Organ Sharing: http://www.unos.org

The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network: http://www.optn.org
Related Links

* Is there a good reason not to become an organ donor? (Blog)

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080320/NRSTAFF/694798310

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:18:30 AM »

I have magnets and decals on our vehicles for donation and receiptant.  :2thumbsup; I have had people ask me about them and tell them to sign their donor card at the MVA. I think this is a great awareness program.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:08:46 AM »

Great idea.  I am going to start looking for the trucks every time I am on the roads.  Alot seems to be happening in Greensboro---first the Spa giving shots that caused kidney failure and now the trucks.     The only thing happening in Raleigh is the City Council has banned installation or replacing garbage disposals!   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »

The only thing happening in Raleigh is the City Council has banned installation or replacing garbage disposals!   
Why? ??? ???

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »

I have magnets and decals on our vehicles for donation and receiptant.  :2thumbsup; I have had people ask me about them and tell them to sign their donor card at the MVA. I think this is a great awareness program.
Magnets? The only one I have is a green ribbon magnet. Doesn't really seem to promote organ donation awareness, I could be wrong. See attached picture. So where did you get yours? I like magnets over stickers.

As for the rolling billboards, we also have that going on in Chicago on the CTA buses. But I wonder how much promotion is going on about the new law here about signing your drivers license to be a donornow superceeds relatives wishes upon death.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »

Here's this rolling billboards we have on the Chicago City buses

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012