I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Email I received from a member. LIST THE THINGS YOU LOVE ABOUT DIALYSIS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Email I received from a member. LIST THE THINGS YOU LOVE ABOUT DIALYSIS.  (Read 12541 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: June 30, 2006, 03:27:58 PM »

Here is a email I received the other day from one of our members:
Hey Epoman,  Hope your day is going well and your filling up on them Tito's Tacos that you love so much.   I have a question for you,,  i want to start a new thread but i am not sure where to start it at,  i am sure i am going to get alot of heat for it but i am sure there are others out there that might appreciate it,  my thread is......

Happiness is.....

and we would all add GOOD things about dialysis such as,  not having to go pee during a movie or a long trip
or a
good lab report

i am sure there will be some good ones,  ohh, like handicapped parking,  thats probably my favorite,  me loves me V.I.P PASS,   lol

can you please let me know what you think,   thank you

NAMED REMOVED

I replied:
Well I hate the idea but it is up to you to post what you want, that is why I built this site to allow members to have a voice. Just start the thread in General Discussion. But honestly I am going to be one of the people giving you heat. For example I would GLADLY walk 100 yards and give up my placard if I could walk again. OR I would NEVER watch a movie again if I could pee again. But threads like this is what makes this site interesting.

- Epoman

She replied:
nevermind

I replied:
NO! did you EVEN read what I said? or just read between the lines? make the thread THAT IS WHY THIS SITE IS HERE to give you a VOICE. I will be pissed if you don't do it now. This is not just my site it is YOUR site, and from now on I wish you would not ask me and just post it, you do not need my permission. You are not going to offend me. So please post it or I will, and say it was your idea but were to chicken to do it.

- Epoman

She replied:
nah, its cool,  i didnt like the feeling i got from your little reply so i know i wont like what the others have to say,  it took alot for me to get over their first reactions when i posted my positive shit....i am sorry i came to you first but do you know how frustrating it is to think your posting something in the right place and it still gets moved,  not only mines but others too,  but anyways,  thanks for your opinion

So we went back and forth for several more emails, her not wanting to make the thread afterall, but I felt bad because if she wanted to make a new thread, she should just have done it and not ask me. This site is here to give members a voice, and I was giving her my opinion, but she kept refusing so I told here either you do it or I will do it and credit her. So we exchanged more emails and I decided to not include her name but I told her I would post it and I have.

So here is the post:

List the good things about dialysis such as not having to go pee during a movie or a long trip or a good lab report. So list the things you love about being on dialysis, or having kidney disease.

There it is folks do you agree or disagree with the member? Do you look for the good things like not having to pee during a movie? Or being lucky enough to actuallly need a handicap pass, so you don't have to walk far?

Say what ever you want, if you can find positive things about being on dialysis, more power to you. List them.
I think you all know what I think.  >:D

The moral of this post is that I want my members to be able to post what ever they want, without worrying about others or me, If you want to be positive fine, if you want to be negative fine, as long as you have a voice. All I ask is that you don't try to change a member, to make it your mission to get that member to be positive or vice versa.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 03:29:08 PM »

Ok, I'll go first here is a list of things I love about having Kidney Failure:

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

hyperlite

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »

I have to admit, not peeing is sometimes a bonus...I mean yeah the results of not peeing really suck (ie: fluid restriction...etc) but just the not peeing part is pretty decent. I mean I never have to stop doing something I'm enjoying to take a leak. I can drive anywhere without stopping...etc etc.

ummm thats about it hahaha

well theres the free coffee at the clinic, but i mean i can get free coffee at my house (paid for by my parents  ;D)

yeah thats definately the only upside to dialysis (besides the staying alive part...) that I can think of...and really I'd much rather have to stop at a reststop everynow and then, then have to pull all that fluid off every couple days
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:50:56 PM »

I have to admit, not peeing is sometimes a bonus...I mean yeah the results of not peeing really suck (ie: fluid restriction...etc) but just the not peeing part is pretty decent. I mean I never have to stop doing something I'm enjoying to take a leak. I can drive anywhere without stopping...etc etc.

ummm thats about it hahaha

well theres the free coffee at the clinic, but i mean i can get free coffee at my house (paid for by my parents  ;D)

yeah thats definately the only upside to dialysis (besides the staying alive part...) that I can think of...and really I'd much rather have to stop at a reststop everynow and then, then have to pull all that fluid off every couple days

True, there are times when I am glad I don't have to go pee, certain situations. But on the flip side I feel sad when I see my friends go take a piss and then be able to come back and drink as much as they want. When I have to watch my intake.

I guess I could also say It's great having a seat where ever I go (wheelchair) but then I get sad when I see my friends stand up and stretch or see dads play with their son (running, jumping, sports, etc.)

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:56:32 PM »

My favorite things about dialysis.....hmmmm.
I have met some pretty nice people.
I am on the web site Ihatedialysis.com regularly and have a support system from this group.
I can excuse myself from almost anything I do not want to do, because I am tired or do not feel well. (LOL)
After movies I do not have to rush to the bathroom anymore (darn it!)
Ice instead of a 32 oz coke
Ooops. Starting to complain here.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 01:29:33 AM »

I see some good things about it too. After all theres nothing we can do to change the fact that we have ESRD, so I think its important to see the positive side about it too. I have been slammed for being positive on this site before but I don't care, I'm not going to change my attitude to suit others. Of course I would do just about anything to have my own normal kidneys back, but thats not going to happen. Heres my list....

You don't need to pee during the night
Treatment is available, its not a terminal illness
I too have met some lovely people
Having ESRD makes you more aware of your health, and how to look after it, not just renal, but every other aspect

OK so its not a long list, but I tried  :)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 01:31:09 AM »

I see some good things about it too. After all theres nothing we can do to change the fact that we have ESRD, so I think its important to see the positive side about it too. I have been slammed for being positive on this site before but I don't care, I'm not going to change my attitude to suit others. Of course I would do just about anything to have my own normal kidneys back, but thats not going to happen. Heres my list....

You don't need to pee during the night
Treatment is available, its not a terminal illness
I too have met some lovely people
Having ESRD makes you more aware of your health, and how to look after it, not just renal, but every other aspect

OK so its not a long list, but I tried  :)

Good for you.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

dialysta

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:52:34 AM »

Girl's like me more because I never leave the seat up.
kevno

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »

Well after so long on dialysis. I have made a lot of friends on dialysis. The only trouble is most of them have died now.

No change in the NEEDLES >:(

The Machine same size

The Fx6 kidney is about a tenth the size as the old keele kidney :-\

The one good thing about haemodialysis is the free days without dialysis, that is if you feel well enough to enjoy them  :-\

Don't worry give me a few months, then I might think of something I like about dialysis, don't know what ???

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:25:47 AM by kevno » Logged

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
hephziba

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 06:30:42 PM »

Im on Capd so my list should be bigger. on haemo.

nope their were no good points to haemo.

oh it kept me alive. yey the life thing..

capd.

freedom to travel, take holidays visit friends who live far away.

I can eat more.

the peeing thing doesnt count for me, I did stop peeing altogether on haemo and then a friend prayed for me and now I pee 2 litres in 24 hours and have no fluid restriction any more.

I get to smile at my wife and chat to her while I exchange this is a blessing I really missed on haemo I hated leaving my wife.......

yep thats my input. ;D

God who comforts the downhearted comforted me again by your visit.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 09:02:51 PM »

Things I like about dialysis

YOU nice people!
My hubby's support and love.
Getting to see my children grow through their teen-age years and become hard working successful adults.
Talking to an angel and making a choice. (I am not crazy! Really!)

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 12:43:37 AM »

Talking to an angel and making a choice. (I am not crazy! Really!)
Now, Kitkats, you know we can't leave this one alone!  You have peaked my curiousity.  Please explain. [In a PM, if you prefer]
Now to my say on what I like about dialysis.  I suppose it is the same as most of you guys.
I appreciate my off-dialysis days much more.
I am grateful for life and the chance to see my grandson grow up.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 06:34:04 AM »

I too love the fact that if i dont want to do something or go somewhere, i pull out my "i dont feel well card"  and people just leave me alone.   I stopped using that card so much cuz i noticed i wasnt getting invited to so many functions anymore, lol,  but at least they know i have a reason for not feeling well.   
I love the outlook it (ESRD) gives me on life,  so many things i took for granted when i was well, whether it is a flower, a nice breeze, to seeing my great-niece eat (wear) chocolate pudding,  aye yi yi,  i cherish even the most littlest things now.   
I dont mind if people come over and my house isnt tidy,  before i wouldnt answer the door or i would be pissed off, but now i know they came to see me, not inspect my house. 
But (and i know i am probably going to hear it for this)  I love the fact that God gave me this disease instead of taking me "Home"  i would hate to have missed all the beautiful things i've seen while i've been sick.  BUT THAT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION and remember, we are all entitled to our own opinion, well, that is mine and i am proud to say it :):):)

You go Hephzibia, that brought me to tears when you said you can smile at your wife while doing your exchanges, what a beautiful thing to say, I sure hope she reads that!!!!   I thank God each and every day for giving me my hubby,  we are getting ready to celebrate our 20 years togetheron the 18th of this month,  just celebrated 9 years married (i drive him nuts with all my anniversaries)  I dont care,  I am celebrating anything and everything dammit,,  he is lucky i dont remember when is the first time he farted in front of me cuz, by golly, that would be an anniversary too  :P     

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
deej

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 11:09:55 AM »

I canīt say I love doing dialysis but I am watching more movies since I take my mobil DVD player to the clinic three times a week. And I donīt have to work as much as before; Iīm teaching less and enjoying life a bit more. All I can think of at the moment.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
"...holy shit...what a ride!"
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 01:11:44 PM »

Okay............lety me think a minute here.  Good things about dialysis..........how about these:

When I'm on dialysis I can just go and zone out for a few hours and not think about things that stress me out. 
I watch the other patients and sometimes get a good laugh out of some of the funny things that happen sometimes.
I met a few really nice people who are on dialysis on my shift so it's been a plus socially.

When you think about it dialysis is better than going to chemo or radiation.  I watched my beloved uncle die from cancer and he had to go to both every day of the week, plus he couldn't eat at all--he had esophageal cancer.  He had a feeding tube.  And this man loved to eat and drink--he was a great cook, a partier, very social.  That disease knocked him down and he never got back up  And the last 6 months of his life he had to eat through a feeding tube.  I know he's still with me and when I get discouraged I think of him and he's with me. 

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 12:19:43 AM »

I can't think of anything "good" about getting every drop of blood sucked out of my body and washed and shoved back in 3 times a week for three hours each time.  But, here goes....

I'm skinny for once!

Yeah, I like the parking thing.

I guess I'm going to get paid for staying home.

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 01:01:47 AM »

The doctor comes to see me, instead of me going to see the doctor  8)
The good looking nurses & techs who work at the clinic
Being the youngest at my clinic (well, sorta takes the older peoples minds off themselves)
Still having a sense of humor

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 12:29:12 PM »

Oh yeah!
That sense of humor that has not deserted me through all of this!

lifenotonthelist.com

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »

I can't think of things I LOVED for Jenna on dialysis -
but maybe good things? short list...
more naps
it's not cancer
she lived through it

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 01:04:37 AM »

In case you all didnt know, it was me who wanted to start this thread and who wrote Epoman the letters in the first post.  Just wanted to thank all those who posted here.  I know even though what we are going through is bad, i just wanted to see if anyone out there saw anything good about dialysis like i did, and i am so glad to know that you didn't hesitate to share them.  Much love to you all...  :grouphug;

Goofynina

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
ILOVEFLUID

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 05:28:34 AM »

Okay, this is  hard one but i will try.

I do love not having to dodge bears going to the bathroom while camping.
My illness brought me closer to my parents.  They insist on accompanying me to every dialysis shift so it is 18hrs a week I spend with them that i may not have if i was not on dialysis.
It has made me a much stronger person.
It has elevated my sense of humour. though dark at times.
It actually influenced my fiance to marry me.  I know, weird.  I met him while my transplant was working.  After about a year, he was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder.  I stuck by his side, even though we broke up because if it.  I helped him get through it, get to the hospital and get regulated with meds.  Afterwards we moved away and lived together as friends.  Because he felt I was a caregiver to him, we did not resume our relationship until my transplant failed.  He needed to feel needed and once I started hemo again, I needed him.  He proposed 3 months later.  Now we are caregivers to each other.

And, yes I will admit, I can get out of things by claiming I do not feel well.

Each day at a time, one drink at a time (or two, or three...etc)
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 06:07:56 AM »

Hmmm...

Geez, I guess I have become a very good driver because of dialysis, (2 hours each way)

I am the star of the party with my buzzing arm.

That's all for now but if something else comes to me I will add :)

Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 06:10:36 AM »

Because of dialysis, I started my documentary production company and have been producing television specials ever since.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 08:17:06 AM »

It is great that when faced with something like kidney disease and dialysis some of you can find the positive points and not allow this disease to overtake every aspect of life.  Kudos to all who have posted in this thread.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 09:46:19 AM »

In case you all didnt know, it was me who wanted to start this thread and who wrote Epoman the letters in the first post.  Just wanted to thank all those who posted here.  I know even though what we are going through is bad, i just wanted to see if anyone out there saw anything good about dialysis like i did, and i am so glad to know that you didn't hesitate to share them.  Much love to you all...  :grouphug;

Goofynina

Thank you for seeing that something good that can come from something bad.
Love,
--Zach

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »