I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:55:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  We have more answers and I know the name of the drug
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: We have more answers and I know the name of the drug  (Read 5677 times)
Beth36

« on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »

My mom talked to her transplant coordinator today from Mayo!  She found out the name of the new drug and it is called Eculizamab.  They have it and my mom is in queue....they said it could be her turn in 8 weeks!  So, I guess they'll call her in a month or so to give her the definite date because they said they'd call her a month in advance to let her get her stuff together.  I am just so happy!!  Everything is finally starting to look better.  May will be a good month because it won't be so cold in MN, my sister's boyfriend is coming home from deployment, and I will be in my second trimester and hopefully have some energy to help take care of everybody!!  I was just so sad thinking about everything today because my mother wanted me to have another baby and when it turned out I wasn't the best candidate, she was eccstatic, to say the least.  When it turned out my sister was  going back to school (to become a nurse) and decided to move back home, I was happy because she won't be alone while she is recovering from the surgery (she is my mom's donor), it all just started to make sense that everything happens for a reason.  Now, hopefully my mother will be able to see her new grandchild......or grandchildren because there is a good chance I am having twins!  Thank you so much for all the encouragement.  I gotta Google that drug.....I don't even want to try to pronounce it!

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »

:2thumbsup; Things are working out - that's great news Beth!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »

:2thumbsup; Glad things are on the up Beth. And the possibility of twins - WOW!!  :grouphug;
Beth36

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

Thanks, ladies!  We are cautiously optimistic about everything and hoping it happens soon.  I had a feeling it wouldn't be until May.  Yes, I did IVF and my beta (pregnancy hormones) levels were pretty high and I have one more blood test and an ultrasound next week and we'll know for sure how many we are having.  I already have a 3 year old son, who is hell on wheels but wanted to give him a sibling.  He did tell me he wanted a brother and a sister.  Maybe he'll get his wish.  We went from being told we never would have children to having them and I'm grateful for what I get and hope he/she is/are healthy!  I'm really the most excited about my mom.  That was the best news I have heard all week, even counting the news that I was pregnant again.  I did Google the medication and can't understand a blooming thing as far as the info goes but it looks like it lowers T-Cell sensitivity and my mom's T-Cells were the ones that were the ones with the highest reaction in her flow crossmatch.  Dr. Gloor recommended she wait and well, that's what we're doing!  I hope to post her transplant story soon!  Thanks again!!

Beth

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »

Beth, I am so excited for all of you.  Things do work out; we just want them to work out on our schedule!   It is all perfect timing--new kidney, new baby (s)--somedays life is really good and this is one of them.  Jill D. said you would love Dr. Gloor and it sounds like he is really looking out for your Mom.   May will be here  before you know it and we will all be waiting to here how she is doing.   Do we have a due date?   :clap;  How are YOU feeling?  Take care! :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Beth36

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »

Thank you, Paris...I love your avatar, by the way...the tiara is fab!  I do have a due date of November 13 but if it's twins, it will be earlier, like October.  Even if it's not, I'll go early, as I have to have a C-Section again.  October is a very busy month at our house.  Our wedding anniversary is in October, our son's birthday is 2 days after that (he was born 4 years after we were married), and now he might have a sib/sibs in October.  I'm nervous at the prospect of 2 at once but I'm pretty tough.  I am the oldest of 4 and have been changing diapers a loooooong time.  I'll know for sure sometime next week at the earliest, they'll do the ultrasound around 6 or 7 weeks and I'll be 6 weeks next Thursday.  My main focus is going to be my mom once we get the call...there is so much to plan and do.  I'm just so happy for her.  This is her time--her and my sister's time, really, and I need to be there for them and I am so happy for them!

Beth

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »

You gotta name one of them Sluff.  :) Glad things are well.  :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »

Beth, I have twin siblings -brother and sister.  We stilll say "the twins" when we talk about them.  My Mom was 39 and had 3 more of us----5,11, and 18!  There names are Jack and Jill!  Mom was tired of naming babies by then and gave me the honor!  Don't make that same mistake!! :rofl;

The avatar was designed by AlohaBeth for our tshirts for the kidney walk.  She created a team called "Walking for Nana (me) and Nina (Goofynina) and thought putting the Eiffel tower and a tiara together would be perfect.  And I love that she put the green ribbon in too.  She has done an incredible job. It has been her way to honor Goofynina.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:48:05 AM »

The avatar was designed by AlohaBeth for our tshirts for the kidney walk.  She created a team called "Walking for Nana (me) and Nina (Goofynina) and thought putting the Eiffel tower and a tiara together would be perfect.  And I love that she put the green ribbon in too.  She has done an incredible job. It has been her way to honor Goofynina.

Hi Paris.  Yes I've seen the T Shirts since I asked this (although I couldn't remember the word avatar (old age  :rofl;)) I got it that the tiara was in memory of Susie and I thought perhaps the Eiffel tower was for you (Paris) but I hadn't connected it with the walk at that point so wondered if it was something else (like a national kidney logo) and I was making the wrong assumptions.  Although I've read about the walk I hadn't connected you as being Nana (I thought you were Beth's Mum) I'm sorry I haven' t been paying attention. I love the green ribbon, it's such a beautiful shade.  Beth is doing an incredible job of honouring both you ladies - and I think she should be designing a mascot for World Kidney Day 2009, those Ive seen on here so far are frightening.  You're doing a fantastic job Beth  :2thumbsup; I hope it all goes well for the walk   :cuddle;
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »

:oops; I've now looked properly at Beth's site and I see you ARE her Mum - you see in the UK a Nana is a grandmother - hence my confusion.  I'm sorry Paris and Beth put it down to me being from the  :ukflag;   :rofl; :rofl; Anyway to make up for it all I've made a donation. Keep up the good work. Rose xx
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »

Rose, Nana is what my 7(!) incredible grandchildren call me.   Music to my ears when I hear "Nana, we're here!"   I have very compassionate children who all do volunteer work and fundraising for several causes.  Beth has done great things with raising money for the Kidney Foundation.

Beth36, please tell you Mom we are all so very excited for her :cuddle;

Beth36

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »

Aww, thanks Paris!  I will tell her...she did tell me she and my dad drank 2 bottles of champagne last night and she was glad she was getting her last hep vaccine shot but she was tired....I told her, "Um, it's called a hangover."  She is excited and we are, too.  I can't think about anything else because I am so happy.  I just hope it all goes well.  I think that is a super way to honor Goofynina and call attention to Kidney Disease.  Way to go!  You rock, Nana!

Beth

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:52:08 AM »

Ummm. you do know what Sluff stands for, right?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Beth36

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 06:55:05 PM »

Ummm. you do know what Sluff stands for, right?

Um....no....I'm kind of afraid to ask  :shy;

Beth

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »

:yahoo;
Good Luck with EVERYTHING!!! It is all wonderful news!! :clap;

Sluff stands for Super, Loveable, Undeniably, Fabulous, Fellow. Isn't that what you told me to tell everyone Sluff?? Can I have my five bucks now?  :bandance;
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 09:21:28 PM »

Beth how wonderful for you and your Mum too.  She gets a new kidney and you get a new baby (or2).
Good luck and best wishes to all of you.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Beth36

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »

Thanks again, everybody!  My mom is feeling better, her function is still stable, and we're just waiting for the call.  As for me, they saw 2 sacs this morning but only one heartbeat.  So, it started out as twins but I will be having on healthy baby in November.  I'm very happy about that.  My hubby will be traveling and my 3 year old will be in preschool, so life is gonna be hectic no matter what!  I hope to have even better news soon about my mom....just waiting!

Beth

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »

Hi Beth,  One healthy baby is such a blessing and wonder.  Glad things are going well.  November-just in time for the holidays.  I think of your Mom all the time. I can only imagine how excited and nervous she is.  Your family is having a marvelous year!  Have a good Easter weekend! :basket:

Beth36

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »

Thank you, Paris!  I think of you and your quest for a transplant as well....and I hope it all works out for you, too.  We will know in a few months if we will be moving to Raleigh and I can't wait to go have REAL barbeque!!  I hope you and all your children and grandchildren have a wonderful holiday!!

Beth :grouphug;

Beth36

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »

No news on my mom but had my second ultrasound today....the second baby they didn't think would make it did!  I saw 2 healthy babies with 2 healthy heartbeats.....so, I am officially having twins.  My mom is over the moon and now all we need is that call from Mayo!!!!  Still waiting......

Beth

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »

Oh Beth!  I am so excited!  How wonderful for all of you.  What great blessings are coming to your family this year.  And your Mom will get her new kidney soon and beable to enjoy those sweet babies.  I am thrilled for you. I can't imagine how you felt when you saw the ultrasound.  I think this is your family's year of miracles. :cuddle; :cuddle; :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :thumbup; ( can you tell I am excited for you?)

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »

Twins!!!Wow!!  :mysty: :keefer:

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 11:46:23 PM »

That's incredible Beth - wishing you and your mom a very good year!  :clap;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 06:07:29 AM »

:yahoo; :bandance; :bestwishes; :big hug: I'm so happy for you. A call from the Mayo would be icing on the cake

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 07:38:15 AM »

Good luck with everything.  2008 will be a great year for you and your family.

:big hug:

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »