I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:24:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Update on First HEMO
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update on First HEMO  (Read 3656 times)
oleboy

« on: March 01, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »

:bow; I have to thank all of you for your support. I arrived and was greeted at the Front door they were waiting on me my wieght was taken my temp was checked and then B/p standing and setting.  I was asked if I knew anything about the process, I said I had been reading alot at IHD about what to expect. The Tech advised me the Doc wanted a 2 hour run using small needles for today and the next few times. Tech told me I would likely have some discomfort at the stick site. Tech had no problem stiking me and I was shown the machine a what was happening to my blood as it passed through the machine (Baxter,Athenia I believe)felt the machine pulling a few times and felt my energy being sapped,They said that would get better with time. Learned I had to hold my own dressings to stop stick bleds.rewieghrd at finish &.3 lbs removed B/P 134/71. Thanks Guys

'hold fast your dreams for if dreams die life is a broken winged bird that connot fly.'
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »

glad  to  hear  that  your  first  treatment  went  well, sounds  like  yur  tech  is  good  as  he  is  explaining  the  process,  anything  doesn't  make  sense  ask  questions.
good  luck  with  it  all. :2thumbsup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »

YAY!!!

I'm so glad it went so well!!!  The next few should be like that too, and before you
know it, you'll be ready to do PD!!!
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »

oleboy,
My Marvin said to tell you that hemo treatments will never get "easy," but the next one will be easier than the first, and the one after that will be easier, and so on and so on.  Are they giving you any shots to numb the access area?  Marvin uses a lidacane cream to numb his site (puts it on about 30 mins. before treatments); it's a prescription cream.  You may want to ask for it.  It sounds like your first day was relatively uneventful -- I hope they all go like that for you.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »

Hopefully you will have less fear now that you got that first one out of the way.  :grouphug;
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »

I'm glad it went well for you Oleboy.
Hope it continues to go well also.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
BigSteve

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »

Good luck you got a capable tech the first time, Buckeye. It really makes a difference. The times I
have one particuar tech have made a difference, but  only a few times have I been really bothered
by the needle sticks. I don't feel that I need a numbing cream, and the one Linocaine shot I had
was worse than the needle. I know many patients hate needles. I go back Monday to the needle
after 1 1/2 months on the chest catheter after my first access clotted. Hope this second access is better.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 11:41:26 PM »

Glad to hear it went well,  :clap; had been watching the old thread to see how you got on. Take care of yourself. :grouphug;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »

I'm glad your first run was a good one. Thats great the Tech took the time to explain the process, could be a sign of the care you will receive.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 02:56:38 AM »

Hey Oleboy, glad to hear it went well they will increase your run times eventually and go to larger needles as time goes on. If you can take the stick without cream or spray I think that is the way to go saves you a little cash. But if you have to have some numbing effect I prefer the ethyl chloride spray bottle. It temporary freezes the site. Watch your BP and stay on top of your dry weight by doing that it will reduce your chance of cramping. Once you cramp on the machine you have arrived. It is not pleasant. Good luck to you....Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Psim

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 09:03:56 AM »

I'm so glad it went well! Onward!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »

It gets easier physically to do dialysis, so watch the mental stuff.   The urge to skip a treatment must be battled, the urge to scream at the injustice of it all.  But then I am glad it has gone well the first time out for you.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »

I've never done haemo but I read all about it on this forum and I'm so pleased for you that your first experience wasn't all that bad. Most of the people on IHD do in centre Haemo so you won't go short of advice when ever you need it. Good Luck. :thumbup;

Ken
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 02:57:40 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.   I am so glad that the first one went so well.  :2thumbsup;  My first one did as well - very uneventful.  I hope all your sessions are like this.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 03:18:51 PM »

Oleboy, glad to hear it went well. Keep us posted on how you are doing.  :waving;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 03:23:02 PM »

Glad you made it thru the first run - that's always the scariest!  I never completely lost the "washed out" feeling on in-center dialysis, but it did get easier after the first couple of months.  They will be guessing at your "real" dry weight for the first few weeks, so the crashing blood pressures are more common then.  Pay attention to how you feel, and let the techs and nurses know if you start feeling even the slightest bit "off".  Once they get a set dry weight for you, it gets a bit better.  Hang in there!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »

Be aware of changes in your eating habits and weight.  Also sometimes your body says aaargh and wigs out on dialysis. On those days be patient.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »

I am glad you had an easy start to hemo. I started using lid. cream as previously mentioned, but I really don't think it helped much, so after about two months I stopped.  It really isn't that bad, once you get used to it.  It helps if you get a nurse or tech that knows what they are doing and get a good fast stick.  I hated it when they would go slow -uurrg!   Best of luck in the coming weeks.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
sandgroper

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »

Thankyou oleboy, reading your post will help me when I first go on hemo in a few weeks :thumbup;
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »

Thankyou oleboy, reading your post will help me when I first go on hemo in a few weeks :thumbup;

sandgroper -- we're here for you, too.  Let us know if you have any questions that oleboy didn't ask, and make sure to let us know how it goes for you.
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »

Fantastic Olebaoy I am happy everything went well - hoping all goes well for future treatments  :thumbup;

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »