I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Blood test for dialysis patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood test for dialysis patients  (Read 8212 times)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« on: June 24, 2006, 05:14:20 PM »

Hi Everyone

I got my husbands lab results back and I wanted to share them with you. This is the first time ever that his phosphorus has been expectable by the doctor. YEAH! Anyway, I remember a while back there was a discussion about lab results and the numbers associated with them. I had to ask Epoman to help me get it on the site, I'm not too computer smart and it's in a table format.

Anyway, my husbands numbers are:

WBC             8.49
RBC              4.14
HGB              11.4
HCT              36.1
MCV                87
MCH              27.6
MCHC            31.9
HGB X 3         34.2
BUN                  62
Creatinie         10.4
Potassium         5.2
Bicarbonate        22
Alkaline Phos       75
AST/GOT           15
LDH                  122
Total Protein      7.1
Albumin (BCG)    4.4
Calcium              9.5
Phosphorus         3.0
Ca x P  Product    29
Magnesium         1.2
Sodium              141 
Chloride             102
Iron                    69
UIBC                 191
Trans Sat            28
BUN Post            14
UREA Reduc        77

We started taking fosrenol (1000mg) and they are working wonders. I'd be curious to hear about other patients lab results. I know every month at clinic we knew we were in for a sermon on something.

Everyone have a good evening

willieandwinnie

« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 05:27:07 PM by Epoman » Logged

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Panda_9

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:30:38 PM »

Well they look pretty good to me. Some of the levels are read differently to ours though. May I ask, was this pre or post dialysis? I assume its pre, but I just wanted to check.
Bicarbonate is a little low, is he on sodibic or something like that? Theres a few I dont know about, as they arent on any of my lab sheets. The phosphate is a bit of a concern, providing the ranges are the same as here. Our normal phosphate range is 0.8-1.5. Does the lab report have normal ranges written on it?? He may need to cut down the phosphate in his diet, and make sure he is taker a binder before all meals and snacks that contain significant phosphorous. I know the doctor said his level was acceptable, but if it were here, it wouldnt be.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »

Well they look pretty good to me. Some of the levels are read differently to ours though. May I ask, was this pre or post dialysis? I assume its pre, but I just wanted to check.
Bicarbonate is a little low, is he on sodibic or something like that? Theres a few I dont know about, as they arent on any of my lab sheets. The phosphate is a bit of a concern, providing the ranges are the same as here. Our normal phosphate range is 0.8-1.5. Does the lab report have normal ranges written on it?? He may need to cut down the phosphate in his diet, and make sure he is taker a binder before all meals and snacks that contain significant phosphorous. I know the doctor said his level was acceptable, but if it were here, it wouldnt be.

Yeah those are USA numbers, his Phosphorus is GREAT! I wish mine was like that.  :-\ Mine is 9+ but that's why I'm in a wheelchair, because I'm an idiot.  ::)

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 05:48:18 PM »

Epoman, do you know the normal ranges for phos? If his phosphate is good then I would say overall these bloods are excellent.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 12:38:44 AM »

Epoman, do you know the normal ranges for phos? If his phosphate is good then I would say overall these bloods are excellent.

3.0 to 5.5 mg/dL is the desired range for dialysis patients. His labs are great!

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 03:56:33 AM »

I really want to know what is the normal everyday range if you know what it is, as this is what we work off. When I say my bloods are in normal range, I mean they are in the range as they would be in a person not on dialysis.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »

Okay you bunch of brilliant people. Here is some of my brilliant bloodwork from today. Kaiser is sending me results on line, but no explanations of what in the heck it all means.

Chloride  93 low
CO2 32 high
CMV High
Creatinine 5.9
GFR 8- NB
BUN 36 High

All the rest of the labs fall within the normal ranges. Even my phosphorous was 5.4. Good for me. I do not have all of the results back yet.  Can someone explain, in simple English what these mean?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:21:41 PM »

I wish i knew Kit, guess we gotsta wait for Zachypoo ;)   :popcorn; 

(or anyone who knows for that matter) :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »

I don't know either but I was surprised at your creatnine only being 5.9

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 12:02:25 PM »

Okay, kitty, here goes -

Most of this is abnormal only in a healthy person.  You're already on dialysis, so your abnormal lab results are to be expected.

Chloride - the salt level in your blood.  Low numbers are probably better for you than high.  Healthy kidneys would keep this in balance.

CO2 - this indicates the acid status of your blood.  High levels indicate kidney problems.

Creatine - this is a waste product from normal muscle breakdown.  Again, high levels indicate kidney problems.

BUN - blood urea nitrogen - another waste product supposed to be removed by the kidneys.

GFR - Glomerular Filtration Rate - a test of how much kidney function you have.  30+ is healthy, 15 or below means you need dialysis. 

The only non-kidney thing on there is CMV.  That's the virus karol was talking about in some of the transplant posts.  A high level in a blood test may indicate that you have a high level of the antibodies in your blood - possibly a sign you are currently fighting the virus.  Perhaps the tired feeling is a result of that?  This one you need to talk to the docs about!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 04:00:54 PM »

They should actually do the CMV testing for anyone on the list so your not doing last minute CMV testing before your transplant (which is required to be done) to know if you need to go on meds after and so forth. This test is also required to be done on the donated organ.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »

JBeany thanks for the elucidating and thoughtful response.  I will have doctor look into CMV stuff when I call him next week.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »