I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:39:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Moving cycler when traveling
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Moving cycler when traveling  (Read 2703 times)
Roadrunner

« on: February 25, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »

Warmer weather is coming (it's above freezing today) and we are thinking of traveling.  While my husband is regaining his strength he is unable to move the cycler alone.  We are both over 70 and lifting a 70 pound machine is taxing.  Together we can lift it and move it a VERY short distance, but lifting it in and out of the car will spoil a trip.  Visiting the children is OK since they can help, but going to a motel or cabin seems too hard. 

Do any of you have any easier ways to move the cycler?  Any suggestions?

We are 3 days on and 1 day off.  Right now when we go away we dialyzed in the morning and then travel to where we are going.  Spend day 2 there and then return on day 3 and do dialysis at night when we return.  We would like to take longer trips and would need to take the machine.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:05:59 AM »

Carry a collapsible 2 wheel cart with a wide base. Think you can get them at almost any place like Home Depot, Menards or Lowes. If you can't find them there than maybe you can find it at Harbor freight tools.  Call all over it saves gas, time and money. Measure the base of your unit first.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:14 AM »

Like Sluff suggested a cart can help to get all the supplies from a car to the room. I actually have a four wheel cart that comes apart and together very easily. I've found that Motel 6 type motels works well because a lot of the time you can park right in front of the room on ground level. I've asked ahead for a room with direct access from the car and it turns out it is a common request that they'll do their best to accommodate.

I think that generally people will help you if you ask for help. At larger hotels there is usually enough staff and tipping a couple bucks goes a long way. In the Motel 6 situation I think if you start unloading your car someone will come along that will help. I've traveled a lot around the US and one thing is true - the vast majority of people are very, very nice. Don't throw your back out - just ask for a hand.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »

When I was using the PD cycler, I ended up travelling overnight by myself and was not able to lift the machine on my own. I went into the hotel lobby (it was a small place with only one staff member on duty), and found a family and asked the wife if I could "borrow" her husband for a minute and explained the situation, using as little detail as possible. When he found out it was medical equipment he asked if I had any good drugs I'd be willing to share.  :rofl; Most of the time, people are very willing to help if you ask nicely.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »