I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Im making my way to the USA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Im making my way to the USA.  (Read 20804 times)
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« on: February 23, 2008, 05:29:39 AM »

My Lovely Parents are giving me a transplant present and will be shipping me over to the USA. I plan on going in july or august depending when i get time off University.

I will be there for around 3 weeks, and would love to be able to meet some of the IHD Family members.

I would also love any tips and advice anyone has on places to go and things to see.

Love
Amanda
xxoo
jonn r

my little girl maiah

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:22:12 AM »

and were are we going in the us?????? boston???? new york???? portland maine...hahah thats funny but would be nice
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:27:27 AM »

Yeah, what part of the USA you coming to?, East coast rocks!!!! And besides, everyone has seen the West coast  :usaflag;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
AlohaBeth

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 06:28:31 AM »

Manhattan, Vegas and San Francisco are great -- I'll be living in California at that point, close to Yosemite -- a must see for the beauty of America and only a few hours from San Francisco...    Have an amazing time!  

Imagine a world that lived with the Aloha Spirit.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:32:28 AM »

Come to Wisconsin!!  :waving;
isurvived

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:34:19 AM »

It depends on what you want to see. Here, we have the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and other Lincoln related historical sites. In other parts of the country, there are nature sites that are absolutely stunning. I have vacationed out west and some of that is very pretty. Take for example South Dakota. Rapid City is a very cool place to go with lots to see like Rushmore, but it also has a lot of natural phenomenon like Thunderhead Cave.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »

Atlanta, Georgia:  site of the 1996 summer olympics, Martin Luther King's hometown (beginning of the US Civil Rights movement in the 60's), where the book Gone With the Wind is set, and lots of other natural and historic landmarks and MANY tourist attractions. Only downfall is it's very hot in July and August, but then, you'd feel right at home!

So excited you might get to meet some of us!  :clap;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 07:14:09 AM »

Wonderful Amanda. I love visiting the US and it sucks since I have not been for 2 years now :( You will have a blast wherever you go. How exciting! :D

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:34:37 AM »

Texas!!  (ok hot in summer...) Houston (ok hot AND humid...) Galveston!  (What?  You call that a beach??...) Ok, we have the Space Center!!   :rofl;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 07:37:30 AM »

Thanks all, i love the ideas so far.

I love the hot weather so July and august would be perfect.

I don't know yet weather i will be there for 2 or 3 weeks depending on college, so i want to fit everything in, which is going to be so difficult because i want to see EVERYTHING!

Would love to hear more ideas ...!

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »

You can come see.....hmmmm...nothing here in Rialto,CA, except little old me!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 07:43:17 AM »

Kit... im sure your entertaining enough..... hmm do u do any tricks ;)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 07:44:12 AM »

Yes...I do tricks...I fly off the handle and Jump to conclusions.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 07:47:03 AM »

That might do.... lol
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 07:47:28 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;  Kitkatz! 

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 07:53:39 AM »

The 2008 Transplant Games arew in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. You could meet IHD members that are attending the games! :bandance;
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 07:54:55 AM »

North Carolina is nice (and a little warm in July and August)...we have Kitty Hawk, NC (the site of the Wright brothers' first airplane flight)...we have the Outer Banks (first permanent English colony site -- The Lost Colony -- beautiful outdoor drama  depicting the event)...we have the mountains (absolutely breath-taking views)...we have miles and miles of beaches and historic old lighthouses ...we have Paris, and Rookiegirl, and George, and BobT, and Petey and Marvin -- who could ask for anything more?
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »

I lolvee Florida but it is really hot at that time of the year.
Also a vote for Las Vegas, Grand Canyon.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
vandie

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 09:25:22 AM »

Maybe you can come for an IHD family reunion?!?!?!

xoxox

Life is the journey, not the destination.
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 10:26:10 AM »

Los Angeles area: Malibu beach, shop on Rodeo Drive, visit television studios, see some Hollywood clubs, lots to do here in California! I also love Santa Barbara and San Diego and Manhatten Beach - well, I love all the beaches! Hope to see you!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »

Amanda, you are going to make a lot of Americans very happy when you visit!   What a lovely gift your parents gave you. When you decide on your destinations, I am sure many IHD members want to meet up with you.  I am sure the men are already trying to figure out how to meet you! :clap;  Keep us posted on your plans.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »

The most American thing I can think of is a road trip for part of the trip. If you can hire a car for a week or more then I would say start your trip in LA (I'm sure IHD members could provide a best of LA in 2 days itinerary and then I would get in a car and drive to Vegas - there is nothing like Vegas (you could take in Death Valley on the way to test your love of heat) From Vegas I would drive into Southern Utah National Parks on your way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Plenty of options from here - continue the road trip through the Rockies to Denver. Stop at one of many "Dude" ranches and take a horse pack ride into the woods. White Water rafting. Mountain bike tours over the Flintstone like landscape of South Utah. Drive up to Arches National Park and then fly out of Salt Lake. Drive down to Phoenix to fly on.

There are many road trip options - if it is available to you I'm sure we can think of other cities to connect.

If you want to let someone else do the driving (remember we drive on the right side of the road) there is the Green Tortoise http://www.greentortoise.com/budget.adventure.travel.html which a lot of the cool kids use to get around the US. But either way if you want to see America you have to hit the road.

There are numerous fun festivals in the summer, there are uncountable hiking and camping opportunities. REI http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html rents gear so you can get off the road and spend time in some of the US's spectacular wilderness. Kayaking, canoing, rafting, sailing and boating are all options.

On a whirlwind three week trip be sure to give yourself some time to relax and rest. In every part of the country there are cute, walkable small towns that would be great to visit - especially if they're having a local festival. Sometime in the middle of week two, spend a weekend hanging out.

Washington DC in the summer can be pretty miserable but it is a tourist rich city. Free museums on every topic through the Smithsonian http://www.si.edu/
A lot of big cities to choose from NY NY of course; most large cities have many nightlife choices.

Remember the US is big, basically the contiguous US is the same as Australia - only with something dangling off the lower right. When I visited Oz for two months I made a bad choice, didn't consider the distances and mucked up my visit to Perth. I spent four days flying up to/visiting Shark Bay, when I should have just spent that time exploring Perth. Not to say Shark Bay isn't unique and interesting - it is. Wild dolphins come right up to shore and there is an entire bay full of ancient life - direct relatives of the first life on earth billions of years ago. All very cool but the fact is time is very precious when you're traveling. Four days (even out of two months) was too much time to spend.

This was an example of if you can't spend enough time don't spend a little. I had to get back for dialysis so I couldn't spend the three or four days needed to make the trip truly worthwhile a rest in the midst of a long trip. I could have used a few day s of decompression, instead I packed in more travel. It is a hard thing to do but tell yourself - I'll be back. Make sure you spend enough time in places, even if it means going to fewer places. And always have fun, enjoy what you're doing.

Once you narrow down the destinations/activities I'm sure we'll all have great ideas.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 05:08:59 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
isurvived

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »

Almost anywhere in the lower 48 will be hot, but some places will be miserable. Hopefully, you will find somewhere acceptable to your liking.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »

The 2008 Transplant Games arew in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. You could meet IHD members that are attending the games! :bandance;
A couple hundred miles from Pittsburgh,(A place worth seeing in itself) is Gettysburg Pennsylvania, intresting history of some of the United States Civil war. Or if that doesn't intrest you, Hershey PA is about the same distance, and home of the Hershey chocolate company. OK, now if you like amusement parks, Kennywood park is a nice place to spend a day, amazing roller coasters, good food, etc. Hope you consider coming this way, you wouldn't be disappointed  ;D

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 04:36:59 PM »

Sedona, Arizona is one of the most beautiful places I have visited.
Also the Painted Desert is beautiful to see.
Ohio has Kings Island(lower Ohio)  and Cedar Point (up by Lake Erie) if you come through that way.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »