I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 08:31:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Toenails falling off....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toenails falling off....  (Read 5539 times)
TrophyWife

« on: June 23, 2006, 06:08:40 AM »

Hi
I'm down in Atl visiting my dad who has been on dialysis a little over a month now. Just noticed his toenails.....they look like they are trying to fall off.  I've been looking on the internet and it says it might be anemia....do any of you guys know anything  about this? Is this a side-effect of dialysis ? Thanks  :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 06:15:11 AM »

I have not had a problem with my toenails.  I forget, is your father diabetic?  Where is Ati?

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:26:39 AM »

Most dialysis patients are anemic not because of dialysis but because healthy kidneys produce a hormone that tells the bone marrow to make red blood cells.  In damaged kidneys much less of this hormone is produced so many patients are severely anemic.  Dialysis centers provide a synthetic version of the hormone so that near normal red blood cell counts can be achieved.  This drug is called Epogen.  Check to make sure your father is on it and have him get copies of his regular lab results so that he can monitor his hemoglobin or hematocrit which are both used to determine proper red blood cell counts.  Epogen dosages are usually adjusted both up and down to get the desired results. Can't help with the toenails...outta my department.
TrophyWife

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 11:00:57 AM »

Thanks for your input and sorry I meant to put Atlanta. Ha ha-- it's hard to type with a 6 year old and a 6 week old puppy running around.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:24:04 PM »

Over here, that's what we call Atlanta - ATL, so I totally understood.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kevno

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »

Your Dad needs to see the Doctor, my toenails fell off. It was calcification of the veins in my lower leg. Not saying that is what your dad as, but its better to make sure it is not that. It is easy to find out if it is or not. He will need a an geogram. But first talk to the Doctor and see what he says. There my be some other reason.

Kevon

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »