I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:40:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  What to expect?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to expect?  (Read 6767 times)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« on: June 22, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Could the members here that have had transplants, please tell me what to expect when I take my husband to meet with the Transplant surgeon, coordinator and social worker next Tuesday? Will they want to run any test that day? As usual, our clinic has not informed us of anything. I have come to the conclusion that's how they are. I come to this board for my questions.  Thanks for any information you can give me.

willieandwinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 07:01:10 PM »

I can't tell you what will happen during your evaluation but can give you some general ideas.  My wife and I met with the UCLA transplant program director, and a social worker.  Dr. Danovitch kind of layed out what is entailed in a transplant, the risks and benefits of getting a transplant.  He was extremely honest about things like the possibility of rejection, increased possibility of getting cancer from the immunosuppressants etc.  They want to evaluate the recipient psychologically as well.  They need to feel that the recipient is going to be compliant with the drug regimen and in dealing with any additional medical issues that might arise and they want to be sure he'll have enough support on the home front before and after surgery. They will likely tell you that there are certain health parameters a potential recipient must be within.  They want body weight under a certain point depending on the patient, no history of cancer, dental health must be good because any dental infection can compromise a transplanted kidney. Any potential cardiac problems must be taken care of before transplant to minimize risk during surgery. The patient must be prepared for many many followup visits in the months just after the transplant to check kidney function, adjust medications etc. It will be a time for give and take.  Ask all the questions you want while you are there, they will be answered in detail.  The evaluation is nothing to worry about, they want to give your husband that kidney.  They just want to do it in the safest manner and with the best outcome for him.  Good luck!

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:28:02 PM »

I can't tell you what will happen during your evaluation but can give you some general ideas.  My wife and I met with the UCLA transplant program director, and a social worker.  Dr. Danovitch kind of layed out what is entailed in a transplant, the risks and benefits of getting a transplant.  He was extremely honest about things like the possibility of rejection, increased possibility of getting cancer from the immunosuppressants etc.  They want to evaluate the recipient psychologically as well.  They need to feel that the recipient is going to be compliant with the drug regimen and in dealing with any additional medical issues that might arise and they want to be sure he'll have enough support on the home front before and after surgery. They will likely tell you that there are certain health parameters a potential recipient must be within.  They want body weight under a certain point depending on the patient, no history of cancer, dental health must be good because any dental infection can compromise a transplanted kidney. Any potential cardiac problems must be taken care of before transplant to minimize risk during surgery. The patient must be prepared for many many followup visits in the months just after the transplant to check kidney function, adjust medications etc. It will be a time for give and take.  Ask all the questions you want while you are there, they will be answered in detail.  The evaluation is nothing to worry about, they want to give your husband that kidney.  They just want to do it in the safest manner and with the best outcome for him.  Good luck!

Very concise reply livecam, I really value you as a member.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 07:47:32 PM »

DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT Mention you have been looking at going out of the country to get a kidney!   >:D

Hey, that would be a good thread!   ;)

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 05:37:19 PM »

Joe recently went to talk about transplant and getting on the list, and what we thought was going to be one visit turned into 2 weeks of scheduled doctor's appointments.  They printed a schedule for him (it was like a class schedule at school) and he's been to at least 2 different appointments per day for the last 2 weeks.  I hope yours isn't like that.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »

If you ever do get a transplant, then be prepared for appointments galore! Once you are discharged from hospital it doesnt stop from there. You usually are required to see the doctor and have bloods done every day for a couple of weeks, then slowly goes down to every second day, 3 days a week, and so on. It is a big commitment!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 07:01:01 PM »

I have pics of my transplant incision even though it is from 1990. Wanna see? :P

also .. it is important to realize that every kidney transplant is TEMPORARY because of your body's own defense system and DNA and that they only thing preventing your body from rejecting a new transplant is the immonusuppressant medications with a crap load of side effects! Make sure you are prepared for them all .. and oh ya! Something no one tells anyone! Use cocoabutter on your skin to prevent stretchmarks from the weight gain you will get from Prednisone if they put you one it ;)

As you can see in the pic .. they put the new kidney in the FRONT to make it easier for access for biopsy if they ever need.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:05:59 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
livecam
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:22:11 PM »

Thats a major incision Angie.  Maybe they are doing things differently now because mine is relatively tiny.  One day while waiting for a followup visit I grabbed my records and read the account of the surgery.  They did what is called the standard "hockey puck" incision in my case and that is exactly what it looks like.  None of it is visible in the area of the abdomen.  Good luck and I hope you get another call soon.
Panda_9

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 06:23:57 PM »

Thanks for the pic angie! Mine was about the same too, I think I remember counting 28 stapes, that was in 1994. Then when they removed it, they cut in the same spot but I had 32 staples! The size of the incision generally depends on your weight too. The bigger you are, the more they need to cut. I think now days incisions are getting much smaller as technology improves.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 08:49:01 PM »

Thats a major incision Angie.  Maybe they are doing things differently now because mine is relatively tiny.  One day while waiting for a followup visit I grabbed my records and read the account of the surgery.  They did what is called the standard "hockey puck" incision in my case and that is exactly what it looks like.  None of it is visible in the area of the abdomen.  Good luck and I hope you get another call soon.
Ya mine is a hickey puck as well but goes real real low (yes, that low) but I think it is only that big because it was done back in April of 1990 ... how small is yours? Have any pics?

Thanks for the pic angie! Mine was about the same too, I think I remember counting 28 stapes, that was in 1994. Then when they removed it, they cut in the same spot but I had 32 staples! The size of the incision generally depends on your weight too. The bigger you are, the more they need to cut. I think now days incisions are getting much smaller as technology improves.
I forget how many staples I had. My mom had saved them though so maybe she knows. I didn't have to have my failed transplant removed though so I am glad about that :) But as for the incision being the size depending on your weight .. I was 98 lbs at 5'3".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 08:51:03 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
livecam
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 09:47:19 PM »

Not very large at all in comparison to yours and with the scar approaching 5 years old it is barely detectable.  Sorry no pics in fact I can't remember any being taken at the time.  Recovery from the surgery and getting used to the new drugs were the main orders of the day back then.  Shoot I hope this kidney lasts a long time.  Really don't want to repeat the past.
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 03:17:32 AM »

The weight thing was just something I heard angie. Considering you were tiny, well then that must be all crap lol I was 75kg when I had mine.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:58:29 AM »

The weight thing was just something I heard angie. Considering you were tiny, well then that must be all crap lol I was 75kg when I had mine.
Well it WAS 1990 :P I am sure things have improved in the last 16 years ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »