I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:21:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Para-thyroid or thyroid problems - Do you take thyroid replacement meds? I do.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Para-thyroid or thyroid problems - Do you take thyroid replacement meds? I do.  (Read 20415 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: August 23, 2005, 07:02:58 PM »

I had my Para-Thyroids removed and when they went in they found a lump on one side of my thyroid so they removed that side (lobe)  But they could only find 3 of my para-thyroids. So my PTH was still 3,000+ (Which is why I am in a wheelchair). Also the lump they found was tested for cancer and yeap it was thyroid cancer :-[ So they had to go back in to find the other remaining para-thyroid(s) and remove my other thyroid (the other side of the thyroid) And by doing so they cut one of my vocal cords >:( Thus making it hard for me to speak. I can talk but if I turn my head to the left my voice is very horse and low. But the good thing is they found the remaining para-thyroid it was the size of a golfball :o when it should be the size of a grain of rice. So after the surgery my PTH dropped to below 50 from 3,000+ what a drop huh? But the damage was already done to my bones. So now I take thyroid meds (Thyroid removed due to cancer) and it was a bitch for the first year to find the right dosage. I had ups and downs it was a very tough year. It's amazing how much the thyroid controls.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
LifeOnHold

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 07:55:31 PM »

Wow!  You've been through the ringer with the parathroids! :(

I had one parathyroid inside the left lobe of my thyroid, so it was removed.  I am supposed to be taking Levoxyl but I quit it after a year because there was no change in my thyroid levels.  They think I might be losing thyroid hormone through the dialyzer-- which isn't "supposed" to happen, but then again I wasn't "supposed" to get hypoglycemia after my treatments, either, and I do.

They ended up carving about a pound of tissue out of my throat with the parathyroid removals... I was scared that it would screw up my singing voice (I'm a fan of karaoke).  If anything, my voice has improved-- one good thing from the surgery, anyway.  I have a pretty noticeable scar across my neck, which makes me look tough :)

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 09:07:24 AM »

They have threatened to take out my para- >:(thyroids several times and when they go do one last check.... it will be normal.  So, I've lucked out so far.  My PTH is 650 and the dietitian is giving me something at dialysis to bring that down. 

Epoman....  why would a thyroid problem put you in a wheel chair.  (Add this to your dumb questions list)  Darla~ :(

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 10:49:28 PM »

They have threatened to take out my para- >:(thyroids several times and when they go do one last check.... it will be normal.  So, I've lucked out so far.  My PTH is 650 and the dietitian is giving me something at dialysis to bring that down. 

Epoman....  why would a thyroid problem put you in a wheel chair.  (Add this to your dumb questions list)  Darla~ :(

My PTH was 3,000+ at that level ALL the calcium was pulled from my bones making my bones very brittle, I fell and when I did I broke my hip. A week later I twisted the wrong way and broke my other hip. Well 5 years later I am still waiting for my bones to heal.  :'( You may ask why not get a couple of artificial hips? Well my bones are so bad a hip stem being put in might cause more problems i.e. brakes in different places. So you better take care or your Phosphorus and Calcium levels and get your Ca.times Ph.product low so they can give you Calcijex or other vitamin D drug to keep your PTH low so your bones can stay healthy. BECAUSE BELIEVE ME BEING IN A WHEELCHAIR SUCKS LIKE A MOFO.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 09:48:12 PM »

Thank you for the explanation and the advice.  :)

Gus

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 07:12:24 PM »

I had my Para-Thyroids removed and when they went in they found a lump on one side of my thyroid so they removed that side (lobe)  But they could only find 3 of my para-thyroids. So my PTH was still 3,000+ (Which is why I am in a wheelchair). Also the lump they found was tested for cancer and yeap it was thyroid cancer :-[ So they had to go back in to find the other remaining para-thyroid(s) and remove my other thyroid (the other side of the thyroid) And by doing so they cut one of my vocal cords >:( Thus making it hard for me to speak. I can talk but if I turn my head to the left my voice is very horse and low. But the good thing is they found the remaining para-thyroid it was the size of a golfball :o when it should be the size of a grain of rice. So after the surgery my PTH dropped to below 50 from 3,000+ what a drop huh? But the damage was already done to my bones. So now I take thyroid meds (Thyroid removed due to cancer) and it was a bitch for the first year to find the right dosage. I had ups and downs it was a very tough year. It's amazing how much the thyroid controls.

That's strange, went through same ordeal as you did..........parathyroid surgery for me also led to the removal of my thyroid as well.....they stated that they found cancerous lymph node....am taking levoxyl.....To maintain calcium I also take 5K TUMS each day.......
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »

That's strange, went through same ordeal as you did..........parathyroid surgery for me also led to the removal of my thyroid as well.....they stated that they found cancerous lymph node....am taking levoxyl.....To maintain calcium I also take 5K TUMS each day.......

You take 5,000 tums a day WOW that's a lot of pills  ;)  ;D

Just kidding, I know what you meant.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kevno

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:32:18 AM »

I had a fall in 1990 broke both knees took over four years to walk properly again, had my Para-thyroids out, they found all four of them. They are meant to be the size of a grain of rice. Mine where the size of peas. So they took 3 and three quarters out. On the X-ray I was told that you could see through my hips. The Surgeon was talking about all different operations I needed. A wheelchair was wheeled round but I refused to get in it. So I went in the Hydro pool twice a week for four years. On a zimmer frame for about 6months, two elbow crutches for about two years. then one walking stick. But after they took the para-thyroids out my bones began to grow back to near normal. Now back on one stick because of calcification of the lower leg.

Sorry I forgot. No I do not take thyroid repacement meds.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 02:11:45 PM »

I had a fall in 1990 broke both knees took over four years to walk properly again, had my Para-thyroids out, they found all four of them. They are meant to be the size of a grain of rice. Mine where the size of peas. So they took 3 and three quarters out. On the X-ray I was told that you could see through my hips. The Surgeon was talking about all different operations I needed. A wheelchair was wheeled round but I refused to get in it. So I went in the Hydro pool twice a week for four years. On a zimmer frame for about 6months, two elbow crutches for about two years. then one walking stick. But after they took the para-thyroids out my bones began to grow back to near normal. Now back on one stick because of calcification of the lower leg.

Sorry I forgot. No I do not take thyroid repacement meds.

Kevno

A person only needs Thyroid meds if they had their Thyroid out not just their para's out.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 05:14:35 PM »

My PTH is sitting at 500, doesn't seem to be doing much. I think most others on nocturnal don't need any meds to bring it down, so not sure whats happening with mine  :-\
shay_pcb

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 01:03:46 PM »

I had a thyroid storm 3 years ago and had Radio-Iodine Therapy to shut down my thyroids completely. The thyroids definitely control a lot of things in your body. When I had the thyroid storm, I lost about 15-20 lbs., even though I was CONSTANTLY eating. I only weighed 95 lbs., and I really was eating ALL the time. I would eat 2 breakfasts, snack during my classes, eat 2 lunches, snack during my last class and on the bus ride home, and then I'd eat the rest of the night at home. I would eat an entire bag of chips, then eat dinner, and just whatever I could find. My mom brought me to buffets a lot then!!  ;D

Anyway, I am on a thyroid replacement hormone now. I stay at 100 mcg, and I get labs done once a month for that. If you read my other posts, I am also on dialysis, and I have a huge bloodclot in my leg that almost reaches my heart. I was also hypoglycemic when I was younger and went into 4 comas bc of it.

Shannon
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »

A person only needs Thyroid meds if they had their Thyroid out not just their para's out.

Joe takes Synthroid because he is hypothyroid and he still has all his thyroid parts.   ;)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 05:16:45 PM »

Joe takes Synthroid because he is hypothyroid and he still has all his thyroid parts.   ;)

Wow it only took you 6 months to come up with that one.

Let me rephrase that...Shall I?

USUALLY a person only needs Thyroid meds if they had their Thyroid out not just their para's out, or if they have a Thyriod problem.

I look forward to your reply in 6 months.  ::)

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 08:22:57 PM »

USUALLY a person only needs Thyroid meds if they had their Thyroid out not just their para's out, or if they have a Thyriod problem.

- Epoman

Where's that "Bite me" emoticon??  ::) 
Besides, don't get snappy with me just cuz you didn't word your post accurately.   ::)

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 10:16:30 PM »

- Epoman

Where's that "Bite me" emoticon??  ::) 
Besides, don't get snappy with me just cuz you didn't word your post accurately.   ::)

I wasn't getting snappy with you, if I was going to get snappy about anything it would be for you not finishing up the "2006 Secret Santa" thread. Your last reply was:

"If you have time, can you do it?  I have some stuff I'm working on and I believe you said you were able to create some sort of attachment with it that I don't know how to do"

Which is fine, I had a shortcut to help you out, but you were also supposed to follow up with everyone, according to this reply:

"Just an FYI, on Jan 1, I will start checking with people to see if they have received their gifts yet.  So, when it gets to be Jan 1 and you haven't received a gift, please let me know.  Thanks."

I had to make the post about who didn't receive their items. When you should have, after all this was your project. You started it, you should finish it. Are you going to finish it? You did a great job to start it but it needs to followed through until the end.

Oh and feel free to bump any other 6 month old thread.

Now that's getting snappy.  ::)

- Epoman
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:33:24 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 06:20:05 AM »

1. What does that have to do with thyroid replacement meds?
2. Why couldn't you address that with me in private?
3. I had already followed up with some people, which is how I was able to tell you that mcjane and anja had not received their presents.

As far as you having to make a post about who didn't receive their items - **I** was waiting until Rerun got back to see if she could contact some of the missing people, before publicly embarassing them over this.  For all we know, they died or are in the hospital. 

I am really, really sorry that me dealing with some personal and PRIORITY stuff at home is apparently not acceptable to you.  But wow, thanks for saying I did a great job starting the exchange off.  I'm glad that met your approval.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:36:55 AM by Sara » Logged

Joe died July 18, 2007
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 06:22:27 AM »

Oh and feel free to bump any other 6 month old thread.

I wasn't aware we weren't supposed to reply to a thread over a certain age.  You might want to post that in the Rules.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

If I may get in here, in the middle of this "Abbot and Costello" routine -- and I hope I don't turn it into the "Three Stooges".  ;D

I'm not on dialysis.  I had a partial thyroidectomy in the early to mid '80's -- can't remember exactly when.  I was on synthetic thyroid replacement, T4 only, for most of the years since then, and it did not work except to make my TSH look normal.

I've been on natural thyroid replacement, Armour, which contains T4, T3, T2, T1, and calcitonin, for almost a year.  If I am ever told I have to switch back to the synthetic, I will buy black market Armour if I have to, in order to stay on it.  I really believe it saved my life and I would have died in less than 5 years if I had not made the switch.

My advice to everyone on synthetic T4 -- find a doctor who routinely prescribes the natural and make the switch.  Even if the synthetic T4 is working now, eventually it most likely will not.  Most of the doctors who have been in practice since the synthetic was introduced do not know how to prescribe the natural and can cause serious health problems for their patients due to their ignorance.  Not taking the natural can cause worse problems and can eventually cause death, usually due to heart arrhythmia, valve problems, and eventually congestive heart failure.

Check out

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalThyroidHormones

and  (addresses corrected! Thanks, Angie)

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

It took me a year to figure out that these people know what they're taliking about.  There is no substitute for natural thyroid hormone and the doctors who prescribe it for their patients are saving lives.  The one who don't are killing some of their patients with their ignorance and condemning them to a living hell on the way to their death.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:24:30 AM by Black » Logged

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »

I feel so much better without the parathyroids running around in my system.  Food has a taste again and the sex drive came back. Explain that one if you can!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 10:13:33 AM »

Great post black!!

Check out

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalThyroidHormones

and

stopthethyroidmaddness.com

By the way, make sure you put the www. infront of the last link or you will end up at some search site instead. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:17:32 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »

1. What does that have to do with thyroid replacement meds?
2. Why couldn't you address that with me in private?
3. I had already followed up with some people, which is how I was able to tell you that mcjane and anja had not received their presents.

As far as you having to make a post about who didn't receive their items - **I** was waiting until Rerun got back to see if she could contact some of the missing people, before publicly embarassing them over this.  For all we know, they died or are in the hospital. 

I am really, really sorry that me dealing with some personal and PRIORITY stuff at home is apparently not acceptable to you.  But wow, thanks for saying I did a great job starting the exchange off.  I'm glad that met your approval.   ::)

1. It has nothing to do with thyroid meds, but you said don't get "snappy with you and bite me" and I wasn't in the first place, I was just messing around with you. SO I did get snappy.
2. Well I guess the same can be said with you, no? "Where's that "Bite me" emoticon?? Besides, don't get snappy with me just cuz you didn't word your post accurately."  You want to be a smart ass, well so can I.
3. Well "some" is not everyone, is it.

Please don't use Rerun as an excuse, she has been back for SEVERAL days now, also do you really think only Rerun has access to the contact list? Every admin and mod has access to that info. Did you not think the owner of the site would not have that info as well?

It's not about embarrassing people, if they are in the hospital or died we will be sad and unfortunately. However it is also sad and unfortunate that members took the time, energy, and money to send a gift but received nothing in return.

If you were going through something personal all you had to do was send a PM to ANYONE on the admin team and ask them if they can take over because you are dealing with some personal issues right now, and we would have handled it no questions asked. Instead of ignoring the situation. And I am glad you are glad that you met my approval, because I must APPROVE all things such as this that take place on IHD.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:44:18 AM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 11:25:58 AM »

Thanks, Angie.  I went back and corrected them.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »

Epo, I am going to drop this now, because I really don't feel it is appropriate to continue this on the public board, and I really don't appreciate the attitude that you have exhibited towards me in this thread.   :(  You need to learn how to talk to people. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:38:36 AM by Sara » Logged

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

Epo, I am going to drop this now, because I really don't feel it is appropriate to continue this on the public board, and I really don't appreciate the attitude that you have exhibited towards me in this thread.   :(  You need to learn how to talk to people. 

Good choice. I speak the way I see it, and the way I feel. If you remember right all I said at first was: Wow it only took you 6 months to come up with that one. and you are the one who was disrespectful first and said: Where's that "Bite me" emoticon??   
Besides, don't get snappy with me just cuz you didn't word your post accurately.
You don't feel it's appropriate to continue this discussion in a public board, yet you have no problem telling the "Owner/Admin" bite me? I may need to need to learn how to talk to people but you need to learn some respect.

Now do you really want to drop it or will you reply one again time to get the last word in?

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »

uh, trying to get this back on topic.

Last month my PTH was at 13.4 (I guess that is 134 for most of you?!) and this month it shot up to 19.0 (190). Is this kind of (~50%) increase in a month normal? I am concerned they will want to rush me into surgery, given that one doc wanted to do it "soon" when it was at 13.4 but my full time doc overrode that and said it wasn't so bad yet. Now that it has shot up so much (they have only been monitoring the PTH for 2 months now) I am concerned. My calcium can't seem to come down either (2.72 last, 2.74 this) despite changing medications, reducing caltrate etc.

Any comments welcome

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »