I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  New nurse and being rough with needles
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New nurse and being rough with needles  (Read 21368 times)
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:09 AM »

Man, what a morning! I walked in the center this morning and noticed someone new hovering around my station. I thought it was a trainee, but the first thing I heard was "Hi, I'm Rhonda, new here but 13 years in dialysis". Well, got my standing blood pressure, then sat down to be stuck. Rhonda with her 13 years, slammed the needle in like she was tossing a spear. I yelled OUCH!, why do you have to be so rough? She then grabbed the 2nd needle, SLAM!, same thing. I asked her to please step away from me as I was in lots of pain. I have a nerve somewhere in the arterial side of my fistula, and she hit it dead on. Now the tech who has known me for the almost 2 years I been there started coping an attitude, telling me" that since I have been there I have picked and chose who puts me on". Now she knows damn well, there is only one other tech I wont let touch my fistula, and that was after I gave her 3 chances. Needless to say, I told her to get away too. They wanted to take the needle out, then put another one in, I said NO WAY, As once someone hits that nerve, flipping the needle, pulling it out, inserting another needle does no good,  I'm in pain for the rest of the treatment. I managed to hang with the pain for 2 hours before I asked to be taken off. Now, being diabetic my sugar has peeked from the stress of this morning, and I am still 1.5 kilos off my dry weight. Now, I was asked to speak with the centers supervisor, about starting button-holes. I had asked this the whole first year I been at this clinic, they told me there wasn't anyone qualified to do the buttonholes. There has been nobody new start, outside of "Rhonda" so I wonder how now they can all the sudden suggest buttonholes. I am still stressing over all this, I'm not sure what I will do.  :rant;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Roadrunner

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »

I feel for you.  When we moved we started with a center that was like yours.  It was just a job that they wanted to get over.  It is why we are now on home dialysis.

Ask if you can be trained to put in your own needles.  The same person should be inserting the needles everytime when starting buttonholes.  I do my husbands needles and he says the blunt needles are almost painless.  He hates when I remove the scabs.  Says that is worse than the needles.

Roadrunner
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »

Thanks RoadRunner, I am going in Friday, and was told they want me to start buttonholes. I will post again to see if someone there will do the buttonhole, or its me who will do it. Thanks for the reply  :thumbup;
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:53:53 PM by Joe Paul » Logged

Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »

Sorry to hear that JP >:(

I say this - anyone who wants to can have an attitude that is their problem just do you friggin job!

I agree with you, I like to give people more than one chance but they need to show they are taking my instructions seriously and following them if not then you will not touch my arm I do not care who has an attitude! If you are curious as to what has changed that makes it possible for them to do buttonholes now and not then - ask them. Ask the head nurse or an admin and they should have a direct and immediate answer.

Good luck! :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:48:36 AM by CW » Logged

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »

Sorry to hear that JP >:(

I say this - anyone who wants to can have an attitude that is their problem just do you friggin job!

I agree with you, I like to give people more than one chance but they need to show they are taking my instructions seriously and following them if not then you will not touch my arm I do not care who has an attitude! If you are curious as to what has changed that maked it possible for them to do buttonholes now and not then - ask them. Ask the head nurse or an admin and they should have a direct and immediate answer.

Good luck! :2thumbsup;
Thanks CW, thats who I see Friday, the "head nurse". I will ask exactly what you said. Thanks for your reply  :thumbup;

Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 01:29:41 PM »

Oh man, JP. I hurt just reading your post.  You're darn right you're gonna talk to the head nurse. That is unacceptable.

It's not THEIR nerves they're attacking!  I'd say something but it wouldn't be complimentary to our forum female dogs!

I so hope you get your BS down. 
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »

Thanks MyssAnne, I have calmed down since I posted this, working on the blood sugar now. Funny, one of the older women patients (79) called me to make sure I was doing OK. She told me in the 2 years she has known me, she had never seen me upset. God I love her, so sweet!
Thanks MyssAnne for your reply  :thumbup;

Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »

Sorry JP I feel your pain , I was hitting nerves getting my buttonholes started , mine are nearly painless after 9 months. So try and get them to start you on buttonholes Take Care Oh and if "Rhonda"  comes near you :boxing;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »

Aint those nerves painful! Thanks Charee for your reply   :thumbup;

Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 02:50:40 AM »

:thumbdown; My arm is really aching this morning. What makes me upset is when I asked to do buttonholes a year ago, the fistula was nice and undamaged. Now that its beat up, they want to talk to me about buttonholes! I am trying to get a picture to show what I am talking about - Also, for "evidence" tomorrow when I see the head nurse, as I heal quickly. Got it, here is what it looks like this morning
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 03:07:46 AM by Joe Paul » Logged

Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 04:10:29 AM »

OUCHIE!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 04:28:51 AM »

??? ??? :thumbdown;

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »

OH MY GOODNESS!!  That is absolutely awful!  I am glad, though, that you stood up for yourself. They always seem to think that a good patient is one who lets anything happen to them, silently.  Not at all.  Wish I could deal with that Rhonda -  :boxing;  You need to print out a copy of LifeOnHold's 'Darla's Guide to Dialysis Nurses' and put it up in your unit - http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=66.0
From what you said, Rhonda would be categorized as a 'The Brute'!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 05:51:43 AM »

Volunteer to stick Rhonda next time you are in there.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »

Oh JP!!!!!!  That looks horrible!!!!!!   How are you feeling today?  Other than sore that is!!!  Is your blood sugar stable now? 
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »

I wouldn't let her near me again.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 09:12:05 AM »

Oh, JP, that is awful. I know what it's like to hit nerves with needles (or should I say, rip nerves clean in half), and it sucks big weenie. Don't ever let that brute approach you with a needle again. I stick myself (when my access is working well enough to use), and I don't think I would ever want to have a nurse or tech cannulate me. At least if something goes wrong (infiltrating or hitting nerves), I know it is my mistake and I can take action to correct it, rather than dealing with a hot-headed nurse who won't admit he/she did something wrong. I hope things go better for you JP.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Bajanne, I wish you could deal with her for me :)  MyssAnne, still having trouble with the sugar as I am concerned as to what I will be treated like tomorrow. The units social worker called yesterday, and from what shes said the nurse and the tech switched up the story to suit themselves. Well tomorrow I guess we will all sit and discuss the situation, something I feel does not need brought up again. I spoke my mind yesterday and did not stutter. They should have taken notes, cause if they need explanation it is not going to be a pleasent one. That is why I took that picture, they say a picture speaks many words. I have printed that picture, and will let it speak for me. Thanks again for all your support in this it means lots to me  :thumbup;

Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »

JP it looks awful, wishing you luck in getting this sorted so that you never have to deal with that nurse again.  Hope the pain is soon gone. :cuddle;
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 01:53:15 AM »

Ouch JP that does look like it hurts >:( ; but excellent move on the pic we definitely  think alike! 8) Always document !! :clap;

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 06:46:05 AM »

Its a lot of pressure on a nurse to stick someone.  Seems many try doing it fast in the ripping the bandaid off philosphy.

Best thing to do is learn to stick yourself.  Then you do not have to rely on anyone to stick you and you never have to worry about how other nurses do it in other units if you travel.

After a few times to a few weeks of sticking yourself you should be familar with your fistula and where the good places are to stick.

From there start the buttonholes yourself.

The basics of starting a buttonhole are to stick the same spot using the same angle and routine.  After doing it a 2-3 weeks you should have your buttonholes formed and should be ready to move to blunts.

Nurses do not have to start buttonholes.

Medisystems has a video that will help you get started. 

http://www.medisystems.com/hemodialysis/buttonhole/default.asp

The video link is at the bottom of the page.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 08:32:05 AM »

The "meeting" did not go well. As I said, the staff changed up what happened to suit them. The "supervisor" didn't even want to see the pictures of what I had to endure, all she said is "well, thats the nurse that is going to be working here". I guess it is time to find another doctor, new center & pray a transplant comes soon. Ain't it something that even a dialysis clinic is nothing more than a "click".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 08:35:51 AM by Joe Paul » Logged

Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »

Damn, why do they think they have jobs in the first place?? It's certainly not so that the patients can become their personal punching bags! Don't they realize the patients have enough to deal with without having to fight them for quality care?  >:(

JP, I am so sorry you're having to deal with these insensitive, uncaring people. I hope you are able to find a neph and a center you're happy with. I hope you've gotten your blood sugar under control (I didn't know stress/worry could affect it like that. Very interesting.)

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »

That's disgraceful, I hope you can find another centre nearby, they seem to be few and far between here.  Good luck, what else can I say. Hope a transplant comes soon.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »

I agree, that is just disgraceful.  We should not have to suffer any more than we already do.  DEFINITELY get out of there as soon as possible.

gggrrrr :boxing; :boxing;
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »