I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Need help with chlorimine testing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help with chlorimine testing  (Read 3084 times)
Roadrunner

« on: February 03, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »

I have been taking the chlorimine tests each fill and they always passed.  Today I took the test and everything seemed fine until I looked at the results under my book light.  Usually I look at it with my standard light  bulbs which are a yellowish light.  I'm not sure what my book light is but it is a bluish light.  Fluorescent lights are also somewhat bluish.  My results are 0.0 with the standard lights, possibly failing with the booklight and between 0 and 0.1 with fluorescents. 

Does anyone know what kind of light we should be using?  I can't do it in daylight since we dialysize at night and the Pureflow finishes after dark.  Even though I am suppose to test from the PAC I think I will take a sample from the chickenfoot tomorrow in the day and see what kind of results that gives.

How do you know if the PAC has expired.  This is still my first PAC.  Does it stop mid fill?  Does it give you warning?  It is almost 12 weeks and I will need to change it.

Roadrunner
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »

The pac will give a "Last Batch" warning. Watch the screen on the Pureflow closely - it doesn't give any more of warning beep than the usual noises it makes as you switch from chloramine checks to "batch in use" and all the other usual messages.  It's easy to hit go and flash past the warning without really noticing it. 

Mine only lasts about 8 weeks because I'm on well water, so I don't mark them on a calendar - but I think you are supposed to change them at 12 weeks, expired or not.

Just remember, it takes about 3 hours to prime the darn thing, so if you want to start a batch the same day you change the pack, you need to account for priming time first.

I'd go with the standard lights - the book light is not a normal shade.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

terry3004

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:03:03 AM »

When i test the chloramines, I do it under normal light.  I was never told about using a certain light for reading the test.

I can't help with the pak, as I'm still on my first pak.  I am on well water as well, so I am expecting about 6-8 weeks between paks.

Become a living organ donor...you never know who's life you're going to save!

Married to my wonderful wife 4/2005
Diagnosed ESRD 7/2005
Started PD 3/2006 - Got infected
PD Catheter Changed 4/2006
PD Catheter removed & Perma-Cath placed 5/2006
In-Center Hemo started 5/2006
Tried PD again 5/2007 - Catheter wouldn't drain
Fistula made 8/2007
NxStage started 1/2008!!
Roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:13:47 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I hope someone knows definitively about the lights.  Never thought about it until the booklight was within reach and I used it.  I always use it when inserting my husbands needles since the NxStage is between the light and my husband.  I may call the company that makes the strips.  I know it's not my eyes since the state made us take a colorblind test last week.

I am also on well water but I will need to change the PAK by Feb 11th since that will be 12 weeks.

Roadrunner
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »

What happens if you look at a new test strip under the book light? Does an unused strip also show the presence of chloramines?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:19:17 AM »

What happens if you look at a new test strip under the book light? Does an unused strip also show the presence of chloramines?

The unused strip matches the 0 reading in the booklight.  When I test the water the strip reads 0.1 in the book light but almost 0 in the incandescent light.  Since the passing reading is <=0.1 I knew it passed either way.  I'm just concerned that if it goes any higher I may miss it in the incandescent light.

I called RP, the manufacturer, and they said no one had ever asked that question before.  After hedging they asked if I was a clinic and when I said no they referred me  back to my clinic.  I'm sure if they don't know the answer the clinic doesn't either.

I guess I will just hope I never go over 0.1 in the booklight.

Roadrunner
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:29 AM »

Since you should never have sunlight in a water room because it helps grow bacteria there are no windows in a clinics water room to get natural light.  Because of this all clinics have your everyday florescent lights in the water room.  To my knowledge there has never been any discussion about taking readings under different type/shades of light so I really cant help you any further than to tell you what we have.

It's not easy being green.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »