I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:41:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  LibraryThing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LibraryThing  (Read 2425 times)
xtrememoosetrax

« on: January 30, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »

Does anybody else out there do LibraryThing?

For those who don't already know about it (although it's been around for about 2 years, I just found out about it a few days ago; I'm always a late adopter -- sigh), LibraryThing is [WARNING, WARNING -- GEEK ALERT!] a web application that allows you to catalog your books so you can see your book collection on-line, and -- even better -- see other people's collections and which books you have in common!  This may not sound too exciting to many of you, but for booklovers, it is quite fascinating, not to mention addicting!  So, if there are any other book nerds like me out there, I'd love to chat with you about LT!

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »

I have to check this out.  I wish I had kept a list of the books I have read since childhood.  I am an avid reader and always have 3 more books lined up and ready when I finish one.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

I think I heard about this! Only problem...I have so many books, all over hte place!  Some hre, some at my fiancee's place, some in the car and then some I've loaned out to people!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »

Well. I just spent the past hour on the site. It is great and I think it will be a help in deciding what to read next.   Thanks for posting this site :thumbup;
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:53:59 AM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:14:59 PM »

I am an avid reader so let's discuss books.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:25:54 AM »

Thanks - looks interesting - hubby has a ton of civil war, revolutionary war, christianity and economics books - it would be incredible to compile a list!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:39:57 PM »

This sounds great! Most of the books I've read lately have been library books, so I don't own many, but for my dad, it would be indispensible!! Also would help in choosing what to read next. I'll check it out tomorrow. Getting late now. Thanks!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »

I have one to recommend--All Over but the shouting--by Rick Bragg---- I read this book several years ago as a library book- and just loved it- I got it at a garage sale for $1.00 last week- (Mr. Bragg is a Pulitzer Price winner)- this book he wrote about his family growing up dirt poor in the South, he is eloquent and poetic, and I love his Momma. I knew the first time I read it- that this book would never leave me...I had tears when I found it again.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:52:33 AM »

I have one to recommend--All Over but the shouting--by Rick Bragg---- I read this book several years ago as a library book- and just loved it- I got it at a garage sale for $1.00 last week- (Mr. Bragg is a Pulitzer Price winner)- this book he wrote about his family growing up dirt poor in the South, he is eloquent and poetic, and I love his Momma. I knew the first time I read it- that this book would never leave me...I had tears when I found it again.
I've heard this is an excellent book, and I've actually had it on my "To Read" list for quite a while but just haven't gotten to it yet.  I'll try to bump it up in my queue -- thanks for the reminder.
I am an avid reader so let's discuss books.
Hi Kitkatz,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; I'm afraid I was busy being self-righteous on another thread :rofl;; but enough of that.  Like I said, I'm kind of a nerd; I read quite a bit of history, with a leaning toward military history -- any chance you're a kindred spirit?  However, I also read lots of other non-fiction -- usually whatever strikes my fancy at any given moment; you can either call me "'eclectic" or just a flake. :)  In terms of fiction, I tend toward older British literature over contemporary American, but of course there can always be exceptions to that; I LOVED The Poisonwood Bible, for instance.  I know this is kind of vague, but let me know if any of this sounds interesting to you (it won't hurt my feelings if it doesn't -- different strokes and all that), and then we can go from there!

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »

I think I've heard of this one, and also heard it was very good. It sounds like it's in the same vein as "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. It's also a true story, and about her family, growing up dirt poor, and moving all over the west and then to West Virginia. Excellent book! I'll have to look for the one your recommended. Thanks!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »

i finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini this morning. Powerful book and really helped me grasp the situation in Afghanistan. The story was amazing and his use of words was beautiful.  Highly recommend it. :thumbup;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »

I'm eclectic in my reading however I do read a lot of fiction.  My husband would probably love to talk military books with you.  He has an entire library of Pacific War books in the house.   I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy.  I have romance novels just for light reading.  I read murder mysteries, too.  Terry Goodkind is one of my favorite authors.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 07:49:03 AM »

I read a wide variety of books, whatever piques my interest at the time.

I read mysteries, fantasy, humor, biographies, children's books, (series), nonfiction sometimes.

My main focus is mysteries though, mostly British, mostly cozies.
Two series that are my favorites are the Amelia Peabody mysteries and
Aunt Dimity mysteries.

There are a lot of good children's series out there, well written, much better than some adult books!

When it comes to humor, I like Southern.  Lee Childs.  Another is somebody White (her last name),
can't remember her first!!

I biographies, it's always fascinating to see how people came to do what they are famous for
(and I love pictures!!!)

Nonfiction: There's a lot of cool stuff out there to learn! 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »