I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:59:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  snow clearing!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: snow clearing!  (Read 5848 times)
billybags
Elite Member

« on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:09 AM »

I have just taken on another job. I am now clearing snow. We have had a lot of snow in the night, where I live in the Midlands or middle of the UK we always seem to miss snow in winter, I think it is the hills that surround us, we also miss the sun in summer, frigging hills. To-day we have woken up to about 5 inch of snow, it looks lovely, the whole of the UK and Europe are covered in the stuff. My husband is not well enough to clear it, for the first time in his life.I donned my boots, gloves and coat and off I went with the shovel, do you know what, I really enjoyed it, I felt like a kid. So besides all the other shit I do, I am now a  snow shoveler.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:10:39 AM »

We have (lots of) snow too!  But our boiler broke down this morning and we have no heating.  Grrr.  BG can't come out till tomorrow morning to fix it so we can't go outside because we have no warm house to come back into to!  I'm also waiting for a Tesco delivery which was due between 10 and 12.  They've sent me no communication so I don't know if it's running late or not coming at all.  Today is turning into a bad day! (It's okay, we still have hot water so I can warm up in the shower later!)

Enjoy your shovelling ... have you made a snowman yet?

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »

BB...I'm almost jealous.  Snow is so pretty and this year we have not had any (just a little dusting twice).  I love to build snowmen and almost always get to clear the driveway and sidewalk. 

Poppy...brrrrrr..no heat?  brrrrrr....

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »

I saw video of Heathrow in the snow.  My son called from London and was complaining about it.

I had to laugh because here it is, first week of February, I'm in Chicago, and do you know what I did today?  Gardening.  And the Brits are shovelling snow.  How bizarre.  I lived in the UK for almost 20 years, and during all of that time, we had snow maybe during 4 winters.  But lately, y'all seem to be seeing more snow than usual.

I've got snowdrops and daffodils coming up.  I've got teeny tiny buds on my roses and clematis.

I'm the one with CKD, but I'm the one who ends up having to shovel.  I just can't shovel the whole driveway anymore, though, so if we get more than 3 inches, we have a guy who comes and clears the drive.  I still have to shovel the front walk and the sidewalk.  The guys who live on either side of me both have snow blowers and both know that I am sick, and it sure would be nice if they would clear my sidewalk.  I've always been really nice to them; I'm kind of disappointed.  What would take me 15 minutes of hard work they could do in about 30 seconds.  Oh well.  I guess I shouldn't expect any mercy from anyone. ::)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:40:21 AM »

Poppy, hope the plumber gets to you soon, I bet you are frozen.  Moose, I bet if you ask the guy with the snow blower he would help you out. Some times I find asking for help is hard, but most people love you to ask. To-day the snow has turned to mush, I just hope it does not freeze over, I nearly went arse over tit this morning  doing my shopping.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »

We have mild temps in the south here.  Normally, we have a couple good snows, but not this year!  They blame it on Global Warming!   :lol;

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »

I lived in the UK for almost 20 years, and during all of that time, we had snow maybe during 4 winters.  But lately, y'all seem to be seeing more snow than usual.

I've got snowdrops and daffodils coming up.  I've got teeny tiny buds on my roses and clematis.
Oddly, I remember there being lots of snow when I was little (and we have the photos to prove it!)  I don't actually think we're seeing more snow than before in the UK,  I just think we'll never get used to it because we only have it for one or two days a year so it will always be big news, because we always forget what it's like!  My brother lives in Eastern Europe and he's stuck in his house in the countryside right now, but it's okay because they're expecting highs of -7 (yes, highs of minus seven) at the weekend so will be able to get back to the city.  Crikey.  We've had lows of -6 or -7 this week and that IS a novelty.  Brrrr.

;D

My daffodils and tulips have been coming up since November.  I expect this cold snap will kill them.

>:(

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »

Looking out of the window now Poppy, it is 18.35 and it has started to snow, has it reached you yet. I am a bit miffed because I am having a day out ( first time for a year)  next Wednesday, taking the grand kids to London for the day with my daughter. It had better not snow on my parade.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »

billyb, I think we got it before you (which is surprising since I'm further south!)  I heard we were just expecting a light sprinkling and it's been snowing non-stop for the last four hours.  If it keeps it up Blokey will be spending the day at home with me (the roads are awful - we're on a corner and I'm waiting for the big bang as someone goes into the lamp-post outside my house ... it's been scary watching even the slowest most careful drivers dancing in the snow!)

If it helps, the outlook for next week looks good ... no snow and a high of 8 degrees on Monday ... Yay!

Oh, and my boiler broke again (different problem) ... I still have heating thankfully, but it will only run if I've got the hot water on too. 

*sigh*

;D

Get the shovel out again, billyb! 

iketchum

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »

I can come help if you want, I have a snow blower.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:50 PM »

ohhhhh my goodness, i thought i'd offer some help but seems ya already got a snow blower on the way....  :rofl;

Ya know how i spent my day,,,, hangen at the ocean catchen some sun  :flower;

But!!!!!!! i do miss snow but do not envy the 'job' you've had to take on  :(  what next  :banghead;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »

Nice one Boswife, what is it like to have the sun on your back. (I bet it is lovely)

iketchum, Thanks for the offer of the snow blower, but tell me, what is the animal you have got under your feet. Is it dead or what.Scary.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »

Nice one Boswife, what is it like to have the sun on your back. (I bet it is lovely)

iketchum, Thanks for the offer of the snow blower, but tell me, what is the animal you have got under your feet. Is it dead or what.Scary.

Everything grows bigger than life in Maine, Billybags. That is a SQUIRREL!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »

Everything grows bigger than life in Maine, Billybags. That is a SQUIRREL!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
I am never EVER going to Maine ...

;D

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »

Heck with the "Squirrel", I like his "Blower". 

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
iketchum

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »

I found this also. It might be fun to try.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 06:46:56 AM »

Now that's a hawg!   

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »

you are kidding me, that is never a squirrel. I suppose it could be, because every thing in America is bigger. Is that right. LOL
wvgirl

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »

My son moved to London a year ago. He was used to Ohio winters so he is probably happy with all the snow. It will remind him of home.

Jeanne
1988- Chronic Kidney Disease
2005- Biopsy showed IGM Nephropathy
10/2011- Fistula surgery, transplant evaluation-gfr 13
02/2012- On transplant list
05/2012- Started in center dialysis with gfr 9
2 calls for a transplant but still waiting...
iketchum

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 02:26:04 PM »

Once we got the critter cut up, we ate for all winter real good. :rofl;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »