I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hemodialysis treatment time...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hemodialysis treatment time...  (Read 6087 times)
Krisna

« on: January 23, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »

I was just curious as to how long other HD patients' treatments were?  Also if you do it at home or in center?

I do 3 hours in center HD.  This has been my prescription every time I've had to go back to dialysis with the exception of the very first time!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »

Mine varied from 3-5 depending on what the docs wanted and what I would tolerate.  In the early days I pushed for shorter treatment times then woke up to reality and ran longer.
silverhead

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:12:21 PM »

Sharon is presently on a 3 day on 1 day off with the NxStage at home, 2 hour 32 minutes per session.....

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:16:59 PM »

Always have been 4 hours.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:13:27 AM »

In center, I started at 4 hours.  They eventually dropped 12 minutes off that.  My labs stayed okay, but I refused to keep shortening it - 12 extra minutes didn't make my day any easier, and I figured that more was better.  Now I'm on home with a NxStage.  I do 3 days on, one day off, with an average run time of about 2 hours, 15 minutes.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:58:18 AM »

I do home hemo and do 7.5 hours every second day , here in Aus they,  well where i trained  say the longer the better, all my Labs are really good and i have been able to  go off Blood pressure meds and  caltrate , no diet i eat as i did before , still have to watch my fluids which i find the hardest of all things.So most weeks i do 22.5 hours in the week :ausflag;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »

We had a thread and poll on this subject once.  Maybe you want to check it out.  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3589.0

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »

I'm now doing 5 home treatments per week (between Monday-Sunday) and each one is about 3 1/2 hours long using 26 liters of dialysate and pulling about 96 liters of blood.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:02:10 AM »

In center 4.5 hours... and pushing for more.
oswald

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »

i used to do 4 hours every mon., wed., and fri. in center hemo.  12 hours per week. 

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »

There is now research evidence indicating that excessive amounts of creatinine in the blood are pathological and promote the development and progress of arteriosclerosis.  Since everyone on dialysis by definition comes to treatment each time with an elevated creatinine level (patients would be taken off dialysis if they didn't), the more dialysis time the better, even if the other lab results, such as potasium, phosphates, urea, hemoglobin, etc., are normal. 
terry3004

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 04:08:36 PM »

When I was in-center, I was on TTS 4 hours per treatment.

Now I'm on NxStage 6 days per week (Fridays off) running between 2:15 and 2:30 per treatment.

Become a living organ donor...you never know who's life you're going to save!

Married to my wonderful wife 4/2005
Diagnosed ESRD 7/2005
Started PD 3/2006 - Got infected
PD Catheter Changed 4/2006
PD Catheter removed & Perma-Cath placed 5/2006
In-Center Hemo started 5/2006
Tried PD again 5/2007 - Catheter wouldn't drain
Fistula made 8/2007
NxStage started 1/2008!!
Krisna

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »

We had a thread and poll on this subject once.  Maybe you want to check it out.  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3589.0

Thanks!  I will do that!   I am still trying get through all the threads from before I joined.  I didn't lurk at all before I joined, I just saw the site and the forum and thought, "This is exactly what I've been looking for!"

So, Thank you for the link!

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Krisna

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:40:33 PM »

When I was a kid, dialysis was a lot less efficient and I had to do a couple 8 hr treatments at first.  Then I did 6 hr treatments for abt a week.  Then it was 4 hrs.  I did it every day for probably a couple wks.  Now, this info is from my dad since I don't remember much of it.  I was very sick and was not diagnosed until going into Congestive Heart Failure.  I only had 25% of my total kidney function left!  Dialysis back then did not use bicarb so I got sick to my stomach most of the time I was running.  That's the only thing I really remember abt it other than the shunt that was in arm for it! 

I could do more treatments a wk if I wanted to.  I have a good relationship with my Nephrologist but I don't feel I need more at this time.  I've always been real good abt my diet and fluids.  I am especially careful on Saturdays because I know I still have to get through Sunday and half of Monday.  I average between 1.5 & 3.0 kilos between treatments.  And I am on a 4 Ca; 3.5 K bath.  I have the opposite problem most patients have with Potassium, I don't eat enough foods with it.  Right now my Phosphorus is even too low and I have been told to stop my binders.  All my other labs are great! 

Thanks for sharing! 

Hickman
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »

4.5  hours   m,w,f

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 11:56:35 PM »

5 hours TTS

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 01:20:57 AM »

4 hours in center M-W-F

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »

3-1/2 hours in center M-W-F...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »

I was just curious as to how long other HD patients' treatments were?  Also if you do it at home or in center?

I do 3 hours in center HD.  This has been my prescription every time I've had to go back to dialysis with the exception of the very first time!

I go 4 hours M W F.  Would not even consider taking less if they offered me.  As it is now I go in early, I get put on as soon as I get there and I don't have to wait.   :clap; :clap;

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 04:01:37 PM »

I run three days on one day off then two days on and one day off.  I do home dialysis on nxstage and run about 2 hours 15 minurtes.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Cincygrandma

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »

Hi, I  do 3 in center treatments, TTS, each 4 hours long.   Including waiting time and getting on and off, I'm there a minimum of 5-1/2 to 6 hours.  This is new to me and still confusing.  Last treatment I went in at 1kg under my dry weight and came out 4kg over. (?)  As much as I hate dialysis though, I am very thankful for the advancements made in recent years.  I'm curious, why would anyone want more treatment time?
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »

Hi, I  do 3 in center treatments, TTS, each 4 hours long.   Including waiting time and getting on and off, I'm there a minimum of 5-1/2 to 6 hours.  This is new to me and still confusing.  Last treatment I went in at 1kg under my dry weight and came out 4kg over. (?)  As much as I hate dialysis though, I am very thankful for the advancements made in recent years.  I'm curious, why would anyone want more treatment time?

Sounds like your scale was off.

A five kg difference for you to go over by 4 would be 5-1liter bags of saline added during your run.
Cincygrandma

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »

BigSky, sounds scary to me either way! 
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 05:56:37 PM »

I'm curious, why would anyone want more treatment time?
The reason for more treatment time is that it is easier on the body.  Remember, the dialysis machine is attempting to do what your kidneys do (did) 24/7.  A longer treatment is more thorough and as I already said, easier on the body.   One of the patients in our unit just spent some time in Florida.  He went to a unit where he started at 8.00 p.m. and ended at 4.00 a.m.  That is the kind of dialysis I would like.  I would just sleep the time away and know that I was getting a good dialysis.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Cincygrandma

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 04:41:58 AM »

Last treatment I went in at 1kg under my dry weight and came out 4kg over. (?) 

BigSky, thanks for the info.  I went in under weight again Thursday, and questioned the tech about the weight difference.  They were not kilograms but tenths of a kilogram, so guess my change was .5 kilos.  I should have known that!! 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »