I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hemodialysis treatment time...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hemodialysis treatment time...  (Read 6081 times)
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »

Greetings, I just finished my 16 weeks in the Renal Solutions clinical trial. The runs were 6 hours, 3 times a week. I decided to not continue with the Allient machine, because with the 2 hours of set-up and prime, and 6 hours on-time, I could not keep up with my homework and other activities. So, I just started back in-center 3 hours/3 times a week.

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »

Greetings, I just finished my 16 weeks in the Renal Solutions clinical trial. The runs were 6 hours, 3 times a week. I decided to not continue with the Allient machine, because with the 2 hours of set-up and prime, and 6 hours on-time, I could not keep up with my homework and other activities. So, I just started back in-center 3 hours/3 times a week.

I think Redbomb tried the Nxstage machine but he felt the same way about setup time and all the little details so he went back to in-center as well. It's not for everyone. Glad you found what works best for you.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 07:39:39 PM »

Since the normal dialysis schedule is profoundly unhealthy, given that it replaces only about 10 to 15% of normal renal function, almost everyone on dialysis needs much more treatment than they are getting to stay healthy.  But then if you invest the time in getting all the treatment you need, you will have to destroy the value of your life in the process, since all your time will be taken up trying to keep you alive to perform a procedure to keep you alive -- which is an empty vicious circle.  You have to find some equilibrium point suitable for you, trading off maximizing health against maximizing actual living.
BigSteve

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »

Big Sky and others: How do you do hemo for 4-5 hours? I have been doing 3 1/2 MWF since I started
in December. Now my labs show that my URR is not high enough so I will go to 3 3/4 hours starting tomorrow.
Unless there is some sports on TV I really hate my time in the chair. It's so damn noisy my mind can't concentrate
on anything and I can't sleep. Sorry for the gripping. I know how many of us have it worse. Steve

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »

When Marvin was in-center hemo .. he got up to 4 hours, 45 minutes, MWF

Home hemo -- around three hours, six days/week
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 06:24:06 PM »

Big Sky and others: How do you do hemo for 4-5 hours? I have been doing 3 1/2 MWF since I started
in December. Now my labs show that my URR is not high enough so I will go to 3 3/4 hours starting tomorrow.
Unless there is some sports on TV I really hate my time in the chair. It's so damn noisy my mind can't concentrate
on anything and I can't sleep. Sorry for the gripping. I know how many of us have it worse. Steve

Most of the time I just listen to music and zone out, sometimes surf the net. 

The noise doesn't even register with me anymore unless its my machine making noise.

Guess I have had too much practice at zoning out to notice much or let it bother me anymore. ;D
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 10:10:41 PM »

Now go get yourself a pair of noise reduction headphones like truckers wear. My sister bought me a set and it sure cuts down the center noise!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 09:28:06 AM »

Earplugs or headphones are a big help at dialysis.  I found these essential when I had dialysis neighbors who were visiting with friends or relatives during the treatment.  I could not help overhearing their conversations, which typically involved them saying and assuming utterly idiotic things about the nature of dialysis and renal failure, or involved dishonesties, errors in reasoning, unfair and oppressive interactions, etc., which were painfully obvious to other parties, but totally invisible to the parties talking.  But as irritating as these phenomena were, of course politeness would not allow me to intervene in their conversations, so the best thing to do was just not to hear them in the first place.
NVRWKN

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 06:56:12 PM »

I was 4 hrs since starting in Sept. I just got moved to 4 1/2 today. What fun...                    :boxing; :boxing;

Never Weaken
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 09:15:47 AM »

3 days a week, 4 hours at a time. one of the centers i use when i travel runs all visitors for 3 hours.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
BigSteve

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 10:09:41 AM »

A universal time for all dialysis patients in a unit doesn't sound like sound medical practice, but
a device for making the unit run easier and faster.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »