I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:22:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hair
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair  (Read 5564 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: June 17, 2006, 09:22:54 AM »

Okay folks.  Is anyone out there taking Minoxidil for high blood pressure?  Are you having hair growth everywhere?  I am. I have hair growing where hair ususally does not grow on a woman.  My face is covered with fine hair.  I have to shave or something soon!  I have been told it is the medication and I will have to learn to live with it.  Luckily I am a blonde so the facial hair is not as visible as it could be.  I itched like mad for months when th hair on my back was first growing in. I am slowly turning into Fuzzy Wuzzy, was a bear!
So, anyone else out there a hairy bear due to their medications?

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
hyperlite

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 09:41:30 AM »

Sorry I can't complain about any "hair growth"...but if its really a problem for you, you should talk to your nephrologist. There are a million other blood pressure medicines out there. I take an Ace-inhibitor, and it works well for me. Keeps my blood pressure relatively normal (as long as my fluid gains aren't too high) and I don't have any side-effects. The only ones I've heard about for Ace-inhibitors are a dry cough...but I haven't got that. You should look into taking them (unless you can't for some reason)?
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 11:10:10 AM »

Kitkatz,
My husband Len was on Minoxidil for almost two years. He looked like a bear, honest to God, his arms, hands and feet, he had hairs on his toes that had to be 2 inches long. The cardiologist switch him to coreg and that help. He's hair to return to normal.

Hope this helps.

willieandwinie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 11:30:49 AM »

Okay folks.  Is anyone out there taking Minoxidil for high blood pressure?  Are you having hair growth everywhere?  I am. I have hair growing where hair ususally does not grow on a woman.  My face is covered with fine hair.  I have to shave or something soon!  I have been told it is the medication and I will have to learn to live with it.  Luckily I am a blonde so the facial hair is not as visible as it could be.  I itched like mad for months when th hair on my back was first growing in. I am slowly turning into Fuzzy Wuzzy, was a bear!
So, anyone else out there a hairy bear due to their medications?

Katherine

OH YEAH! I tried just about every BP med there is but then we tried Minoxidil and it worked great, but yeah the hair does GROW! I have longer hair on my arms and my beard grow so much faster. I have grown hair where I had none before, even my chest hair got thicker. I was on Minoxidil for several years but recently I have stopped both of my BP meds. 3 weeks now with no BP meds and my BP is perfect.  8) I stopped it because my BP was getting to low on dialysis try 60/30  :o now it's a steady 130/70  8) in the past when my thyroid was out of whack my BP hit 250/130 and higher.  :o

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 04:55:33 PM »

Yep,  happend to me too... I just told my dr. that i didnt want to be walking around looking like that and he switched me right away,  I had my face waxed (OUCH)  and it regrew just slightly until the med was out of my system i guess, then i waxed it one more time and that pretty much took care of it.   

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 04:22:01 AM »

I grew hair after the transplant. Got hair on the sides of my hairline, and just under my ears. It was soft and blonde, reminded me a bit of a koala lol My arm hair and eyebrows thickened and went dark. This was when I had to start plucking my eyebrows and I was only 15. One good thing was, the hair on my head grew very fast and was incredibly thick and shiny. I got alot of comments on it.
It was all ok until I started Uni, and I dont know why by 3/4 of my hair fell out. I was under a hell of alot of stress with study so that could of been why. I had to chop off my butt length hair as it was so thin and dull. Its still quite thin now, but with regular visits to the hairdresser for trims and treatments its got a little thicker and isnt so dull. Much to my dislike I have to keep it short, as its too thin to be long. All the heparin and anaesthetic doesnt help either!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »

Sorry I can't complain about any "hair growth"...but if its really a problem for you, you should talk to your nephrologist. There are a million other blood pressure medicines out there. I take an Ace-inhibitor, and it works well for me. Keeps my blood pressure relatively normal (as long as my fluid gains aren't too high) and I don't have any side-effects. The only ones I've heard about for Ace-inhibitors are a dry cough...but I haven't got that. You should look into taking them (unless you can't for some reason)?

I agree with Hyperlite (That's a first)  ;D  There are a million BP medications out there.  If you were getting headaches, you'd be switched, any unwanted side-effect is a problem.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:38:00 PM »

am I the only one that never got hair growth from the BP med Minoxidil but instead got a LOT of fluid retention??

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 03:31:41 PM »

No fluid gains for me from the medicine. Hair growth is out of control  :o

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »

Oh Man is the hair growing.  I am going to have to get the face waxed or threaded soon.

The Grizzly Bear with Hair >:D

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 10:50:47 PM »

I started growing facial hair after transplant... I was told that it was a side effect of cyclosporin.. I don't think that's true, because I haven't taken cyclosporin, or any other anti-rejection drug (except pulse prednisone at Christmastime) since a few months after I started dialysis in 2004... I use nair to take it off about once a month... it's gets pretty thick, but I can't do it more often than I do because the nair burns too easily... now, if the hair on my head would start growing in, that would be nice... I lost a lot of it after the last transplant.. and it got really thin, especially on top.. it never grew back...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 10:57:18 PM »

I cannot use Nair on my body.  It burns like heck and I break out.  Even the dr recommended stuff on the shelves at the drug store burns my poor sensitive skin.  I am thinking of shaving, but that would require every day to keep the fuzz down.  What is a girl to do???

lifenotonthelist.com

Panda_9

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 01:35:06 AM »

Using things like nair isnt much different to shaving, it grows back just as quick.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 02:43:02 PM »

You could try waxing? Even though I never have. I used to bleach and also used Nair.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 10:05:14 PM »

OUCH!

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »

Okay folks, I am hunting for something to use to get the hair off of my face. If you say get a razor I will scream!   AAAUUUGH!  Something gentle to use that does not hurt too much.

From
The Fuzzy Bear

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 01:50:55 AM »

Okay folks, I am hunting for something to use to get the hair off of my face. If you say get a razor I will scream!   AAAUUUGH!  Something gentle to use that does not hurt too much.

From
The Fuzzy Bear
I use Sally Hansen's Hair Remover.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 01:59:23 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 10:17:24 AM »

Hair remover isnt as effective as if you had your face waxed, it stays away longer, i know from experience  ::)   It is a little painful but worth the pain in the long run.  Good luck and let us know what you decide ok Kit...

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »