I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Has anyone heard about the "New" heaters?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone heard about the "New" heaters?  (Read 6046 times)
silverhead

« on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:59 AM »

Although I believe the PureFlow unit's heater is working ok, and we keep the house at a pretty steady 72 degrees, it has been quite cold outside but I am comfortable in the house in socks and a t-shirt, we are getting tired of putting 3 blankets on Sharon during treatment, I have turned up the heater to #13 and ANYTIME i check it the window says "heating", which to me means that the heater is on and has not reached it's goal (I blame this on the total lack of insulation around the unit) I find myself wishing like crazy that we had the external "bag" heater, I'm sure I could jury-rig it to be used in-line with the PureFlow to better bring the Dialysate to a more reasonable temperature.....

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Roadrunner

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »

The heater goes up to 20.  We have it set for 19.  At this setting he is only chilled on the first day since it doesn't have time to warm up completely.  He still wants a blanket but is no longer chilled.   

cev

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:50:59 PM »

We are using the bags and the warmer works good, just can't have it on high for too long, but still husband gets really cold.  The electric throw is a God send and we have an electric heater at his feet, or I put his feet up and cover them with a sheep skin.  Hope some of these options help until NxStage can get their heater situation straighten out
silverhead

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »

Well now I am questioning whether like Adam, my PureFlow heater is going bad also, I went out to my shed today and found a roll of insulation that would work for me, it is the type that is "bubble wrap" with aluminum foil bonded to both sides, this fit completely around the base unit and should have helped a lot in the quest for more heat, but with only 20 liters in the unit and insulated for almost 8 hours the heater never advanced out of the heating range on a setting of 13. Will call tech support in the morning....
An earlier call today to them revealed that they have just now obtained approval for the unit (I would guess from the government) and they are now ramping up for production, so it looks like a couple of more months before they ship........

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »

How about putting a heating pad on the line from the pure flow to heat the fluid a little?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:10:10 AM »

I'd call and see about getting anew control unit - it shouldn't take that much to keep the pureflow warm.  I run every session at about 14 - but then I've also got an electric blanket and a small ceramic heater that blows right on me during every treatment.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »

Yes, definitely see about a new control.

I also have an electric throw and an electric heater with a remote.  It helps tremendously.

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »

We run the PureFlow at 18 plus I have an electric heater going...I've found if I don't have the heater on at the beginning of treatment, I can't get caught up...I need to be warm from the start to stay warm through the time of the treatment.

I don't know what's up wth the new warmers...they finally sent me one of the old ones, which I'm thrilled to have, so I'm ok to wait for the new one!!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »

My nurse forwarded the latest to me on the whole NxStage heater problem.  If you don't currently have one, it's going to be 2 to 3 months yet.  Here's the letter.

"January 22nd, 2008

Dear Valued NxStage Customer,

Happy new year to your from all of us at NsStage!  We would like to kick off 2008 with some good news for you and all of your patients!

You will remember in 2007, due to unforeseen inventory issues and a rapidly growing number of patients on therapy, NxStage had no coice but to transition temporarily to a loaner warmer model.  Int this model, PureFlow SL patinets would use their built-in PureFlow SL warmer for regular treatments and receive temporary warmers for travel or reliability.

This temporary transition period is now over.  NxStage has built a reserve of warmers to accommodate new patient starts.  Eventually, NxStage will also supply these warmers to existing patients without warmers over the span of 2-3 months.
Beginning with new patient initial shipments that Customer Service will make in January 28th, a warmer will be included as part of their rental package.  This means that most new patients starting on Feb. 4th and all new patients starting on Feb. 11th or later should receive a warmer with their startup shipment.  Patients who currently have a loaner warmer can keep it as part of their rental package.

Your Area Manager will contact you if you have existing PureFlow SL patients without warmers - to obtain the names of those patients.  Customer Service will then reconcile your list with the NxStage records, so that we do not miss any patients.  You may be contacted if there are discrepancies.  Once that is done, NsStage will ship warmers to those existing patients.  Please be patient, as it may take 2 months before each and every existing patient has received a warmer.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Area Manager."

So only 3 more months of hypothermia. . .

I just love how it's "GOOD NEWS", as if the problem that was supposed to be fixed months ago finally getting fixed in 3 more months is a fabulous thing. . .  ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »

Rob uses the bags instead of Pure-Flow, but has his heater on high at times to combat the cold.  If he gets very cold, I pop a queen size fleece blanket in the dryer for 5 mins and this warms him up immediatly.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »

I still have no stinkin' heater!  It's now April - and that letter was sent out on Jan 22.  The amount of supplies I've ended up tossing because we had to rearrange the schedule and dump part of a batch is really adding up.   >:(

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »

I still have no stinkin' heater!  It's now April - and that letter was sent out on Jan 22.  The amount of supplies I've ended up tossing because we had to rearrange the schedule and dump part of a batch is really adding up.   >:(

Jbeany, that is ridiculous! :banghead;  Why do you have to keep waiting?  Rob said the chilled feeling is unlike any other and couldn't imagine doing this without a heater.  Stupid NxStage!!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »

Because they expanded so fast, they can't keep up with themselves, I guess.  The last time I had to run without a heater, I only did a partial run and quit.  I was too cold.  Now, even on days when the schedule gets changed around, I just make a batch and dump any expired fluid.  It ticks me off because it's wasting my electricity and water, but at least I'm not the one paying for the bags.  I really wish  they would get their act together and get me a heater, though!

Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »

I still have the same warmer they sent me for a weekend trip I did about six months ago. The never asked for it back, and I was happy to keep it because I've had a few Pureflow issues that have force me to use bags for one or two treatments, and I couldn't even imagine running with bags and no warmer  :snowman;. I would probably be contemplating building a fire on top of the machine to heat the bags  :lol;

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »

I FINALLY got my heater today!  Wooohooo - no more cold runs!

silverhead

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »

For whoever has the new heaters:
Do they still use the same "bags" or do they use a new style for these also (visions of horror of having a new style and them shipping wrong ones to me), do they hang from the same connectors on the side of the machine?
Tom

Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 12:05:20 PM »

I just asked my NxStage rep about the new warmers, and she didn't even know NxStage was going to be introducing new warmers! That just shows how some people aren't told anything about what's going on.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 01:39:04 PM »

For whoever has the new heaters:
Do they still use the same "bags" or do they use a new style for these also (visions of horror of having a new style and them shipping wrong ones to me), do they hang from the same connectors on the side of the machine?
Tom

I don't know what they modified - it looks like the old ones to me.  It takes the same bags and hangs off the same connectors.  But then again - just because they finally sent me a heater doesn't mean they sent me a new one.  Whatever, as long as it works!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:05:42 PM by jbeany » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »