I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 12:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Obesity operation may cure diabetes in many
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obesity operation may cure diabetes in many  (Read 2517 times)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« on: January 22, 2008, 06:36:33 PM »

Obesity operation may cure diabetes in many

Surgery patients 5 times more likely to see disease disappear, study says   

CHICAGO - A new study gives the strongest evidence yet that obesity surgery can cure diabetes.

Patients who had surgery to reduce the size of their stomachs were five times more likely to see their diabetes disappear over the next two years than were patients who had standard diabetes care, according to Australian researchers.

Most of the surgery patients were able to stop taking diabetes drugs and achieve normal blood tests.

“It’s the best therapy for diabetes that we have today, and it’s very low risk,” said the study’s lead author, Dr. John Dixon of Monash University Medical School in Melbourne, Australia.

The patients had stomach band surgery, a procedure more common in Australia than in the United States, where gastric bypass surgery, or stomach stapling, predominates.

Gastric bypass is even more effective against diabetes, achieving remission in a matter of days or a month, said Dr. David Cummings, who wrote an accompanying editorial in the journal but was not involved in the study.

“We have traditionally considered diabetes to be a chronic, progressive disease,” said Cummings of the University of Washington in Seattle. “But these operations really do represent a realistic hope for curing most patients.”

Diabetes experts who read the study said surgery should be considered for some obese patients, but more research is needed to see how long results last and which patients benefit most. Surgery risks should be weighed against diabetes drug side effects and the long-term risks of diabetes itself, they said.

The diabetes benefits of weight-loss surgery were known, but the Australian study in Wednesday’s Journal of the American Medical Association is the first of its kind to compare diabetes in patients randomly assigned to surgery or standard care. Scientists consider randomized studies to yield the highest-quality evidence.

The study involved 55 patients, so experts will be looking for results of larger experiments under way.

'New way of thinking about diabetes'

“Few studies really qualify as being a landmark study. This one is,” said Dr. Philip Schauer, who was not involved in the Australian research but leads a Cleveland Clinic study that is recruiting 150 obese people with diabetes to compare two types of surgery and standard medical care.

“This opens an entirely new way of thinking about diabetes.”

Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes, and researchers are furiously pursuing reasons for the link as rates for both climb. What’s known is that excess fat can cause the body’s normal response to insulin to go haywire. Researchers are investigating insulin-regulating hormones released by fat and the role of fatty acids in the blood.

In the Australian study, all the patients were obese and had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes during the past two years. Their average age was 47. Half the patients underwent a type of surgery called laparoscopic gastric banding, where an adjustable silicone cuff is installed around the upper stomach, limiting how much a person can eat.

Both groups lost weight over two years; the surgery patients lost 46 pounds on average, while the standard-care patients lost an average of 3 pounds.

Blood tests showed diabetes remission in 22 of the 29 surgery patients after two years. In the standard-care group, only four of the 26 patients achieved that goal. The patients who lost the most weight were the most likely to eliminate their diabetes.

Both patient groups learned about low-fat, high-fiber diets and were encouraged to exercise. Both groups could meet with a health professional every six weeks for two years.

The death rate for stomach band surgery, which can cost $17,000 to $20,000, is about 1 in 1,000. There were only minor complications in the study. Stomach stapling has a 2 percent death rate and costs $20,000 to $30,000.

In the United States, surgeons perform more than 100,000 obesity surgeries each year.

The American Diabetes Association is interested in the findings. The group revises its recommendations each fall, taking new research into account.

“There is a growing body of evidence that bariatric surgery is an effective tool for managing diabetes,” said Dr. John Buse of the University of North Carolina School of Medicine in Chapel Hill, the association’s president for medicine and science.

“It’s just a question of how effective is it, for what spectrum of patients, over what period of time and at what cost? Not all those questions have been answered yet.”

Medical devices used in the study were provided by the manufacturers, but the companies had no say over the study’s design or its findings, Dixon said.

© 2008 The Associated Press.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:47:49 PM by livecam » Logged
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »

Gee ... didn't an IHD member post that there were few, if any, cures for illnesses?

Damn you medical researchers.  Damn you!
 8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:20:43 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:55:04 PM »

Hard to call this a cure with so many factors to consider, plus it may not work for all. How long one has had diabetes, what types of complications has set in to name a couple. While Type 2 diabetics in some cases can control their diabetes through weight loss only, some still need to control theirs thru the use of oral medications, oral meds and insulin, and some with insulin only in small doses (different than type 1diabeties). Once you gain some weight back, you run a high risk of setting offthe effects of diabetes. P.T. Barnum comes to mind when I read this.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:18:58 AM »

If you want to go through life eating liquid diet and eating tiny portions, go ahead and do the surgery.  I have seen people lose tremendous amounts of weight by watching what they eat.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 04:58:34 AM »

I had lost 95 lbs and my diabetes did not get any better in fact I ended up on insulin. I don't believe this article, but for those that want to believe it, go ahead because the weight loss is good for the rest of your health and definitely helps you get around easier. Unfortunately when I went on insulin I gained half of my weight loss back... dang it all.   :shy;
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »

We have a good friend who is extremely obese. He's 6'3" or so and his top weight was over 400. I think he's currently around 375. He was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of months ago, and the doctor told him that if he would lose the weight, he would not have diabetes. Essentially, he has too much tissue for his pancreas to support. Cases like his would be the ideal candidates for the surgery, I would think, but I don't know enough about the processes involved in diabetes to know who else it could work for.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »