I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Cojo's Battle With Kidney Disease
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cojo's Battle With Kidney Disease  (Read 2062 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: January 18, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »

January 17, 2008
Cojo's Battle With Kidney Disease

OK Magazine

He’s witty and pretty — and suffering from polycystic kidney disease. Entertainment Tonight correspondent Steven “Cojo” Cojocaru documents his life with the disease — and his double kidney transplant — in his new book Glamour, Interrupted. In a special two-part interview on Jan. 18 and Jan. 21 with ET, Cojocaru candidly discusses his struggle to survive.

The flamboyant Hollywood stylist to the stars admitted that he was “in denial” about the effects of his lifestyle on his disease. “I thought I was immortal. I was young, living the Hollywood dream, life in the fast lane. I thought I was untouchable. I was also secretly afraid, deep down inside. I didn't lead a healthy life. I was a chain smoker, I liked a cocktail now and then, I didn't sleep, I didn't eat. For me, a meal was guzzling diet soda. Before I was diagnosed, I hadn't been to a doctor in over a decade."

Cojocaru underwent his first kidney transplant in early 2005, with his best friend as the donor. Within months, that kidney contracted polyoma virus and it was removed. His mother donated another kidney in 2005.

“Dialysis sucked the life out of me. I was on a machine. It was harrowing and it was sad. I was flattened as a human being." When asked if he ever thought he wouldn't make it, "There was a voice inside of me that said, 'It's just not my time. I'm not going anywhere.' I felt like I had lived just a second of my life. With a little humor, there are so many more gowns to critique, there are stars who need me! On a serious note, I had barely begun living."

The after-effects of the surgery were difficult for Cojocaru to handle. "When you're just coming out of the transplant, they have to blast you with steroids. Besides ballooning, mentally I felt like I was jumping out of my skin. I was like a dragon, spewing bile and fire. The slightest thing would set me off. There are a bunch of sales clerks in Beverly Hills that I really apologize to. It was like, 'What do you mean you don't have this in a size medium?!? What do you mean you don't have these shoes?!' I should have been locked up. I was angry that this happened to me."

In an image-obsessed industry, it was difficult to deal with the realities of illness. "I was worried I was going to lose my career. I thought it was over, that the A-list would never look at me again, and that broke me. That made me so sad, because my career is something I cherish. Disease doesn't really play in Hollywood and it's not the most understanding town. It took my breath away that people reached out. I was absolutely stunned by how embracing Hollywood was and how open their arms were."

The experience, he says, has radically transformed him. “The lights are on. I don't feel like the lights were on before. The lights were on in a very meaningful way. I never asked to be a role model, I never asked to be thrust into this position, but I am. I want to bring awareness to kidney disease. The whole experience opened my eyes. I never thought in a million years that I would be actually satisfied with what I have, which are great teeth and good hair. And an amaaaaazzzzing wardrobe!"

http://www.okmagazine.com/news/view/3907#

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
George Jung

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:47:02 PM »

I saw a bit of this on t.v.  It seems like it takes someone who is "high profile" to draw attention to renal failure and it's treatments, and even then it is minimal attention that will soon be forgotton.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 11:34:37 PM »

I dont really care for this guy but i am happy that he is doing well  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:27:44 PM »

Anything to bring attention to kidney disease and organ donation is great. Sadly, though his time talking about it will be brief, there are so many of us affected by ESRD that there will be someone else before too long.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »

I heard him talking about little kids on dialysis and how sad it was to see them. I agree it is very sad, so why dont we have those kids on tv instead of this guy. let people get a good look at them and maybe they'll start caring more about kidney disease. And even though he was on the doctorphil show kidney disease didnt even get the full hour, it got about 20 minutes and then they switched to a guy who had heart surgery and continued smoking. I know people (myself included) have written oprah on the subject of kidney disease, but all she does is advertise her "favorite things" and her friend's search for americas greatest hamburger. It pisses me off, but maybe im just bitter :rant;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »