I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Another Phone Call
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Phone Call  (Read 31301 times)
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »

:yahoo;
Great number!
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2008, 03:07:06 PM »

Fresenius came and picked up all my supplies and my cycler today!!!!  :yahoo;    :bandance; The driver was super nice, and it took him several trips to get all the boxes from the garage into his truck...he said that every trip he made, my smile got bigger and bigger. He even beeped his horn as he pulled out of our street. Celebrating with us.  :2thumbsup;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »

Oh thats wonderful!  I can only imagine how exciting that felt!

http://www.kimhoben.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »

:bandance; Cool!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »

Whole lot of habits changing has to feel good. Congratulations.
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2008, 03:50:06 PM »

Whoo Hoo!!!!   :bandance;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »

:thumbup;  Had to be a good time for sure!

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »

has to be a fabulous feeling I am very happy for you...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »

That must have been a great feeling. I'm so happy for you  :2thumbsup;

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2008, 03:44:29 AM »

:bandance;  Wooohoooo

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »

I felt the same way when they got mine.. live it up. :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »

I keep looking at the corner in my bedroom where the cycler was and thinking, "wow, what am I going to do with all this space??" It was empty before, it'll probably remain that way, but what a great feeling!

My transplant coordinator is still in awe over my creatnine. I spoke to him today, and he said that .6 is better than probably 50% of the US population. Don't worry, I'm taking good care of this!

Also, still having the problems with diarrhea, so instead of lowering my dose of cell cept anymore than they already have, they're trying a different type that has some type of coating on it. Sorry, can't remember the name right now. It should get delivered tomorrow, so hopefully that'll take care of the problem. I've gotten to the point I'm scared to eat and hesitant to take my meds because I know both those things will set it off. (Not giving up either one, though).

~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2008, 02:38:46 AM »

Sorry to hear of the diarrhea troubles, I hope they get you sorted out soon  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #163 on: February 05, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

Got my staples out today!  :yahoo;  :yahoo;

Also, Mom and Dad rent a place in Florida for the month of February each year, and my son has a week off from school the 18th-22nd, and the doc ok'd us driving down there for that week.  :yahoo; He said that by then I should only have clinic twice a month, so if I come in on Monday for labs, then I should be ok until Tuesday a week later for clinic. Yippee!!! The place they rent is right on the beach, and it's been in the 70's and 80's there this week, so while not warm enough to swim, it'll be warm enough for shorts and walking on the beach. I can't wait!!!!

~~~~~~~
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

Enjoy yourselves!  That sounds fun and relaxing!    :clap;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »

YAY!!!!

You deserve a vacation!!! I'm so glad you get to get away, somewhere warm for a while!!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

KT, how long did/do you have to stay away from children post-transplant?  I mean children other than your own.  I thought I read that your son couldn't have his friend(s) in the house and I assumed it was a precaution for you.  Thanks!

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »

:clap; I hope you have a great time! I love the beach!

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2008, 04:54:44 PM »

Have a wonderful time. I love the beach.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »

KT, how long did/do you have to stay away from children post-transplant?  I mean children other than your own.  I thought I read that your son couldn't have his friend(s) in the house and I assumed it was a precaution for you.  Thanks!

We're trying to keep other kids out of the house for at least the first three months, though we haven't really discussed a time frame yet. We also are trying to keep my son off the school bus, out of the after school program, and out of homes with more than one kid for that same amount of time. We are allowing him to do all his other usual activities, though - sports, chess lessons, and Cub Scouts - just to keep things as "normal" as possible.

~~~~~~~
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »

So is that a precaution set in place by the transplant team or just yourself, being that you've been through this before?  I don't have any children in my home, but I have a 1 year-old granddaughter who I've never seen sick and a young niece and nephew who always seem to be sick (allergies).  I want to be able to tell my family how long the kiddos can expect to not see me if necessary.  I meet with my surgeon on Monday.  What questions should I have lined up for him?

Sorry to bombbard you with questions!  :)  I'm really getting excited!  My brother is a blood match and a 3/6 antigen match.  As soon as I get activated on the list he will be admitted for the remainder of his testing.  The "committee" meets on Wednesday!

ahamner

My Tibetan Spaniel "Bud"

« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »

Also, still having the problems with diarrhea, so instead of lowering my dose of cell cept anymore than they already have, they're trying a different type that has some type of coating on it. Sorry, can't remember the name right now. It should get delivered tomorrow, so hopefully that'll take care of the problem. I've gotten to the point I'm scared to eat and hesitant to take my meds because I know both those things will set it off. (Not giving up either one, though).

Are you taking Prograf?  Too much of that was the problem causing my diarrhea.  My prograf level was way too high.  After reducing the dosage it went away.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out - Art Linkletter
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »

So is that a precaution set in place by the transplant team or just yourself, being that you've been through this before? I don't have any children in my home, but I have a 1 year-old granddaughter who I've never seen sick and a young niece and nephew who always seem to be sick (allergies). I want to be able to tell my family how long the kiddos can expect to not see me if necessary. I meet with my surgeon on Monday. What questions should I have lined up for him?

Sorry to bombbard you with questions! :) I'm really getting excited! My brother is a blood match and a 3/6 antigen match. As soon as I get activated on the list he will be admitted for the remainder of his testing. The "committee" meets on Wednesday!

Kelly, we decided about the no kids rule, but it was based on a couple of guidelines from the team. They do not allow anyone under the age of 12 either onto the ward or into the clinic. I believe they use this age, since that's when most kids become aware of personal hygiene, etc. My concern about the grandkids, even the healthy one, is that they put their hands everywhere, then put them in their mouth, on your face, etc (at least that's how my son was at that age.). However, if you are very careful about handwashing and using anti-bacterial gel once they leave your house, you may be ok. This would definately be a question I would ask the surgeon. The questions I had for him really had to do with returning to normal activities like work, driving, etc, since every team I've dealt with has different guidelines for these things. Also ask about their medication protocols and learn what you can now about the meds.

Are you taking Prograf?  Too much of that was the problem causing my diarrhea.  My prograf level was way too high.  After reducing the dosage it went away.

I do take Prograf, along with about three or four other meds that, according to information available, all have the same possible side effect. I don't know why they went straight to adjusting the cell-cept, but I'm going to ask that next week if things aren't better. My prograf levels have ranged from 9.4 - 12.4, and I take 4 mg 2x/day. The doc said they like the level to be around 10, but they would like mine to be just a touch higher since this is my third transplant. It's kind of frustrating that my level bounces around so much, though (and I'm getting the labs drawn 12-13 hours after my last dose, just like they prescribe).

~~~~~~~
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »

My magnesium was alarmingly low last week, so they decided today that I'm probably not absorbing the pills for some reason. Stopped those (yay, four less pills per day!), and gave me mag by IV. I only got 100 mg, but it took nearly three hours to get it in, because it can burn the veins, so they have to go VERY slowly. He started me at 38 mg/hour, which I was able to tolerate, but he said a lot of people have to go a lot slower than that.

Because of that, though, we met with my coordinator for a few minutes, and he told us to go get some lunch until the mag came up from the pharmacy. I asked him about sitting in the cafeteria, and he said that after a month, I can begin going out in public again - restaurants, church, etc. Yay!!  :yahoo; We were really expecting that to be another two months, because no one had mentioned it to us. So we went down the street to a Mexican restaurant and had lunch - it was yummy! Then back to clinic.

Very long day today. We got to the clinic at about 7:45 am and were there until nearly 4:00 pm. I'm beat, but my husband then had to take my son to a basketball game that started at 8:00 and is 30 minutes from home! (All those people and especially kids, I'm going to wait another couple of days to go to that kind of thing!)

~~~~~~~
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »

:2thumbsup; Yay a mexican restaurant!
I am glad you got to go out!
I agree about minimizing contact with kids for awhile. My son's 7th grade class has 50% absent this week due to a nasty cold that turns into bronchitis.
Take care!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »