I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:57:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 451655 times)
deckerj

« Reply #1700 on: September 15, 2016, 07:13:08 PM »

You may have missed it.  KK spelled out her 'low blood pressure' was the excuse for denial.

I've already spelled out my anger with that team, I believe they are unreasonably wrong.  But KatieV does make a good suggestion, other tx centers may not use the same thing to bar listing.   That bears checking into.

KK, you have come so far.  Literally worked your butt off to meet their qualifications.  You cannot simply give up.  A kidney IS out there with your name on it.  You are going to have to keep your spirit strong and it WILL happen.  Not today, but not that long that you can make it happen.    This is just another test.  Difficult, but you have already shown that you can do it.  Keep on doing it.

Charlie B53

Sounds like when I was denied transplant for a very long time because my BMI was too high. And the thing is, it was too high because I had edema so bad that I had about 40lbs worth of water in my legs, and they even saw that my legs were really huge but it wasn't up to them, rather it was up to the insurance, and the insurance (medicaid) had no appeals process for this kind of thing. It was either you meet the BMI requirement, (<35) or you don't get listed; that simple, even though I was already below the transplant team's requirements (<40 BMI.) And for whatever reason, my nephrologist at the time didn't want to prescribe diuretic so that I could get listed.

After I finally got diuretics, I literally dropped about 50lbs in 2 weeks and finally got listed. That took away a year of my waitlist time; I could very well have a cadaverous transplant by now had it not been for that.

It was funny because when I had my meeting with the transplant surgeon, (he has the final say of whether or not you are a candidate for transplant) we were talking about medication afterwards and he mentioned that I needed anti-biotics to protect against valley fever, and I said "don't you mean anti-fungal?" (valley fever is caused by a fungus) and he realized how knowledgeable I was and told me that I'd probably be one of the best candidates he's ever had.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:19:10 PM by deckerj » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1701 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »

That took away a year of my waitlist time; I could very well have a cadaverous transplant by now had it not been for that.
Under the current rules, you are credited from the start of dialysis, even if you want years to get waitlisted.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1702 on: September 16, 2016, 06:14:35 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought Dr''s reluctant to prescribe anti-fungal as they are very hard on the liver.  Toenail bed fungus, some call it Jungle Rot can be a real pain to get rid of, as are some lung fungal infections such as Legionnaires.
myporkchop

« Reply #1703 on: September 23, 2016, 03:49:38 AM »

Oh my gosh this topic "ignorant things people have said to you" is soooo funny some of the comments I've read :) Thanks for sharing them  :rofl;

How incredibly frustrating/ irritating are other comments  :Kit n Stik;

And sad to hear of some comments too  :'(

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:57:31 AM by myporkchop » Logged

21st April 2016 - mum got told she had only a few months to live. Doctor's did not support dialysis treatment for her due to many other health complications. They didn't think she could cope and recommended conservative care. Our family was devastated. She is only 64 years old.

19th June 2016 - joined IHD. The support from all of you gave my mum the confidence to give dialysis a go.
26th September 2016 - started PD dialysis at home (CAPD). The first week has wrecked havoc with her blood sugar levels and diabetes, she has been in hospital twice within the week. Dialysis is going well though.
deckerj

« Reply #1704 on: September 24, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »

That took away a year of my waitlist time; I could very well have a cadaverous transplant by now had it not been for that.
Under the current rules, you are credited from the start of dialysis, even if you want years to get waitlisted.

I haven't started dialysis. Not sure if I even want to if it came down to it as these past few years I've been heavily questioning whether or not I even want to live anymore. Kind of a separate topic though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought Dr''s reluctant to prescribe anti-fungal as they are very hard on the liver.  Toenail bed fungus, some call it Jungle Rot can be a real pain to get rid of, as are some lung fungal infections such as Legionnaires.

In many areas in Arizona and California, valley fever is a huge risk. Most people are exposed to it almost daily, but your immune system tends to be really good at preventing infection. However if your immune system doesn't work that well then you can get infected, and once infected it becomes a chronic condition, even if you restore immune function later. The symptoms are basically like a really bad chronic flu and/or COPD like what happens to smokers.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:36:38 PM by deckerj » Logged
Disaster96

« Reply #1705 on: September 25, 2016, 10:56:42 PM »

At one time my doctor told me On home diasysis I will feel so good I wont want a kidney
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1706 on: September 26, 2016, 05:22:04 AM »

I don't think so.  Granted, I am not sick like I was before PD, nor do I have the swelling leaking legs getting infected any longer.

But I am still constantly tired and achy, unable to physically do near what I used to.

15 different types of pills taken three times daily.

16,  I forgot the binders.

Limiting drink, some foods.

This is NOT how I used to live.

But I will admit, it does have it's advantages over NO Dialysis

Without, I wouldn't be here.   So even though I HATE Dialysis I have to be Thankful.
beckums70

« Reply #1707 on: September 30, 2016, 06:55:45 PM »

I get asked this dumb question from people that I don't see very frequently:

"How are your kidneys?"

WTF??  I am on dialysis, how do you THINK my kidneys are?  I usually just answer, "They still don't work" or "They suck, how are yours?"
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1708 on: October 02, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »

Further proof that the average person is CLUELESS!

And we are surrounded by THEM.

And they VOTE!

*L*  We're doomed.......  :banghead;

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1709 on: November 07, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »

I got
Do they remove the kidney on the side the transplant kidney is put in, do they remove the old pancreas and a few other other dumb transplant related things asked by medical personnel at my local hospital.

Then there are the idiots who come forth when it comes to my guide dog as we are working.

EDITED: Nov 8, 2016 - Spelling - CharlieB53 - Mod
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:23:10 AM by Charlie B53 » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1710 on: November 09, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »

Then there are the idiots who come forth when it comes to my guide dog as we are working.

Is that the

"Can I pet your dog?"
"No"
"Why not?"
"Because he's working."
"He doesn't look like he's working"

type conversations?

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #1711 on: November 22, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »

My horrible nurse called me fat at my last weigh in. I actually had gone down from last month from 120 to 118 (I'm only 4'11). THANKS JEN!  :sarcasm;

Then when my neph came in to see me 10 minutes after, she asked if I had purposely lost weight and told me to not lose any more. So...   :waiting;

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
KatieV

« Reply #1712 on: November 23, 2016, 06:37:13 AM »

My horrible nurse called me fat at my last weigh in. I actually had gone down from last month from 120 to 118 (I'm only 4'11). THANKS JEN!  :sarcasm;

Then when my neph came in to see me 10 minutes after, she asked if I had purposely lost weight and told me to not lose any more. So...   :waiting;

That's horrible!  My younger sister (a pediatric patient) had "____ obese" (forget the descriptor) typed in her "After-Visit Summary".  My mother insisted on having it removed.  She's overweight, but not obese - and got that way due to medication issues. 

I started dialysis AGAIN in August 2015 and was in-center for a year until I was able to switch to NxStage.  I was so sick on dialysis between high blood pressure issues/migraines/fluid shifts that weight was dropping off me.  My blood pressure was super high (often 230/124) and my neph kept saying "if you lose weight, your blood pressure will lower".  I came right out and asked her multiple times, "I've lost x amount of weight with no difference - how much more do I have to lose?"!!!!  (It was actual weight, not fluid weight.)  I ended up losing 70 lbs in a year; I'm now 150 lbs at 5'7".  My weight is staying stable now that I'm on NxStage.

Then - last week when I was in the hospital for a chest catheter infection, I got a visit by a renal dietician.  She was checking in with me because they were concerned that I lost so much weight.  Where were they LAST YEAR? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #1713 on: November 23, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »

Yeah... I mean, I'm overall ok with my general weight. My nurse is just... how can I say? Not the brightest crayon in the box. No tact what so ever. Very much follows like a checklist in dealing with patients... when you have a question or have a situation that is outside of the "norm", she gets very flustered. *sigh*. The rest of the team is awesome though.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1714 on: November 24, 2016, 06:47:19 PM »

While I was in the hospital a doctor ran up and loudly announced he had found in my lab work that my creatine levels were very high.  As panic insued I calmly pointed out that that may be the reason I was scheduled for 4 hours of dialysis in about a hour.  If he had just looked at the orders he would have avoided the embarrassment.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1715 on: December 01, 2016, 10:19:34 PM »

My younger sister (a pediatric patient) had "____ obese" (forget the descriptor) typed in her "After-Visit Summary".  My mother insisted on having it removed.  She's overweight, but not obese - and got that way due to medication issues. 

I have "morbidly obese" written on my charts... I'm 5'1" and about 220lbs... I've never been thin.. I have pictures of me when I was 3 and 4 years old, and my body is exactly the same shape then as it is now.. just smaller... I was doing some research on the genetic condition I have that caused my kidney issues, and a page (which I wish I could find again) had a physical description of the typical patient.. and it was me.. right down to the short, wide feet... I'm actually inactive on the transplant list right now until I can get the weight down below 215lbs...

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
KatieV

« Reply #1716 on: December 02, 2016, 05:55:34 AM »

My nephrologist referred me to Hematology because of low platelets and WBC.  So yesterday, the nurse is taking my vitals and freaks out that my blood pressure is so high.

"Do your doctors know?"
"Yes"
"But you're not on any blood pressure meds"

UMMMM....yeah I am.  We just went over my med list and the FIVE different blood pressure meds I take!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1717 on: December 03, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »

I laughed at the Kaiser automated phone call telling me my GFR is high after fourteen years on dialysis.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1718 on: June 12, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »

So last night I was talking to my father who lives in Anchorage far away from Virginia.  We talk a few times per year.  I was talking about our recent trip to Spain and tried to mention how much time dialysis takes, when you add up the bus to the center, waiting for hookup and bus back the 3.5 hour session can take up 7 hours meaning a full day is basically shot.  He speaks up and asks how often I have to do that, then precedes to be amazed when I tell him every other day!  In his mind dialysis was something done say once per month!   I guess my I can deal with this attitude means that I'm not stressing to everyone I meet how much of a time commitment this is...

Also my wife is always amazed when making plans for Friday night with friends how they are surprised when they learn I'm not part of those plans.  And those friends even had a mother who was on dialysis for the final months of her life...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1719 on: June 12, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »

I laughed at the Kaiser automated phone call telling me my GFR is high after fourteen years on dialysis.
You mean low?  Or creatinine high?
nursey66

« Reply #1720 on: June 13, 2017, 06:13:58 AM »

Iolaire. , anouther misconception about dialysis patients ,a lot of people think you are half dead , or at least very sickly ,and of course some are. , But my husband would come home from his school bus route at 8:30 AM , get hooked up at the center at 9:00AM , get back at 2:30 PM just in time to getting the bus and pick up kids at schools for the ride home . He finished the route at 5 PM . He had a 90 passenger bus - big bus.  He would start out his day at 6:00 AM . Said the bus and kids gave him a reason to get up in the morning . Lucky the dialysis center was really close by. He has a good working transplant now and is still doing the school bus route .
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1721 on: June 13, 2017, 06:20:18 AM »

Iolaire. , anouther misconception about dialysis patients ,a lot of people think you are half dead , or at least very sickly ,and of course some are. , But my husband would come home from his school bus route at 8:30 AM , get hooked up at the center at 9:00AM , get back at 2:30 PM just in time to getting the bus and pick up kids at schools for the ride home . He finished the route at 5 PM . He had a 90 passenger bus - big bus.  He would start out his day at 6:00 AM . Said the bus and kids gave him a reason to get up in the morning . Lucky the dialysis center was really close by. He has a good working transplant now and is still doing the school bus route .

Yes, sometimes I worry the whole SSI opportunity means people who could work and have more "normal" lives opt to go onto SSI and loose that meaningful support that being outside of the house brings.   Its great for people who can not work, but what about the young people who might miss out on a career and be stuck and some tiny SSI payment for years or their entire lives...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1722 on: June 13, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »

Ok back on topic...   Ignorant things people have said to you.... 

Rerun, Admin    :police:

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1723 on: June 13, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »

Its great for people who can not work, but what about the young people who might miss out on a career and be stuck and some tiny SSI payment for years or their entire lives...

I think this is a, maybe not ignorant, perhaps more on the tactless side, thing to say.. some of us young folk go the disability route because we can't work anymore.. when I was working and on dialysis, I was falling asleep on clients.. I just didn't have the energy for it anymore.. I worked a year longer than I wanted to just so I could qualify.. I turned 39 at the end of last month

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1724 on: June 13, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »

Its great for people who can not work, but what about the young people who might miss out on a career and be stuck and some tiny SSI payment for years or their entire lives...

I think this is a, maybe not ignorant, perhaps more on the tactless side, thing to say.. some of us young folk go the disability route because we can't work anymore.. when I was working and on dialysis, I was falling asleep on clients.. I just didn't have the energy for it anymore.. I worked a year longer than I wanted to just so I could qualify.. I turned 39 at the end of last month
Your experience seems like a good example of why the SSI option was created.  I would say not being able to stay awake equals "can not work."

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »