I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:24:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464421 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1500 on: March 20, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »

That misplacement of brains is a good word for it.

Had someone misplace their brain today!
To stupid to even share!

You just can't fix stupid; even with duct tape!

But I thought duct tape could fix anything..... has Red Green been lying to me all these years???  *LMAO*

It also makes my blood boil when I hear people being given the 'fat is unhealthy' spiel to keep them off the transplant list. For me they just used my appearance to shame me into starving myself, for others, they are literally using weight to withhold medical treatment. 

That's exactly what they're doing to me, and it's why I see them as "the enemy" as someone put it.  I've always been big, and I know that 220lbs on a 5 foot and one quarter inch frame is not the healthiest way to be.  I may not be tall, but I'm thick.  My rib cage is huge.  BMI does not factor in that part.  Though I know I could stand to lose a few pounds, if I were to actually get to what's considered a healthy weight for my height on the BMI scale, I'd probably look like a skeleton, a fat skeleton at that.  That might be hard to picture. *L*  I just wish there was some other scale they could go by that was more accurate, or not go by a scale and all, and assess people on a case by case basis

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #1501 on: March 21, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »

And here is my most recent ignorant thing.....
Idk perhaps i was being sensitive?

the bf says to me, You have to put yourself In my shoes, Jennifer......................
scuze me? Ok, i will, you work.... ok... and what you do is probably not that easy, ill give you that...you chose to stay up all damn night playing video games or watching tv, and falling asleep on the couch so you have back pain and such, instead of going to bed at a decent hour, and in a bed... i dont think i can have pity there...
And,  you cant put yourself in my shoes? and you want me to put myself in yours? Please, trade me. PLEASE! Really????????????  Id much rather work than do dialysis!
Idk, telling me to put myself in his shoes really irked me. Like i said, perhaps i was being sensitive, but really? If you want to trade, by all means, ill work, you deal with the health problems.

GLM - You are NOT being "too sensitive". PJ is a Grade A, classless crass JERK! He should have a freaking clue after being with you for over a year, but because he lacks basic sensitivity and human empathy, he only thinks of his wimpy self and his own weak ass, which must be soft and mushy like baby food with how much he sits on it!!! The games this useless fugly rat-ass has played with you over the last several months has infuriated a LOT of us. It really doesn't matter what he does to try to "make up for it" now, because he's already lost too many points in my book. He's a lame ass and a poor excuse of a "man" - he simply is not one. The one and only good thing I can say about him is he has a job and he goes to it. But, that does not give him the excuse to be a jack off when he's off the clock and at home. He's lazy and good-for-nothing. Time to clean house and get rid of him - STAT!!!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1502 on: March 21, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »

Karen the diplomat... :P  :clap;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1503 on: March 22, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »

Karen the diplomat... :P  :clap;

:thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;

And here is my most recent ignorant thing.....
Idk perhaps i was being sensitive?

the bf says to me, You have to put yourself In my shoes, Jennifer......................
scuze me? Ok, i will, you work.... ok... and what you do is probably not that easy, ill give you that...you chose to stay up all damn night playing video games or watching tv, and falling asleep on the couch so you have back pain and such, instead of going to bed at a decent hour, and in a bed... i dont think i can have pity there...
And,  you cant put yourself in my shoes? and you want me to put myself in yours? Please, trade me. PLEASE! Really????????????  Id much rather work than do dialysis!
Idk, telling me to put myself in his shoes really irked me. Like i said, perhaps i was being sensitive, but really? If you want to trade, by all means, ill work, you deal with the health problems.

GLM - You are NOT being "too sensitive". PJ is a Grade A, classless crass JERK! He should have a freaking clue after being with you for over a year, but because he lacks basic sensitivity and human empathy, he only thinks of his wimpy self and his own weak ass, which must be soft and mushy like baby food with how much he sits on it!!! The games this useless fugly rat-ass has played with you over the last several months has infuriated a LOT of us. It really doesn't matter what he does to try to "make up for it" now, because he's already lost too many points in my book. He's a lame ass and a poor excuse of a "man" - he simply is not one. The one and only good thing I can say about him is he has a job and he goes to it. But, that does not give him the excuse to be a jack off when he's off the clock and at home. He's lazy and good-for-nothing. Time to clean house and get rid of him - STAT!!!

KarenInWA

AMEN!  :2thumbsup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1504 on: March 22, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »

Don't hold back Karen - tell us what you really think!!!! :)

Yeah I agree with the gist of the post for sure.

The thing that is often lost in situations like this is perspective. I think all of us who, sadly, have some idea of the shyte you deal with due to kidney disease, dialysis and all that would call you a bit of a freakin hero for dealing with going to D constantly, enduring that, feeling so tired and drained from it (and the poor kidney function, low hgb etc) and then looking after your child as best you can and the second child in your life being the game playing bad back boy.

True he does a hard job - I think you once said he works at a waste treatment plant, which is ick for most people and that's great but i bet you anything if you weren't dealing with D and all that stuff you'd be working too in a job, earning money etc...

and what was his point anyway - put yourself in his shoes for what reason?? to  "prove" how hard his life is??? yeah the obvious answer is "yeah buddy you come sit at D with needles in your arm for hours, unable to move, feeling drained and sick and then coming home to deal with you?!" yeah get in my shoes big guy!!!

back to the weight thing... like Karen I was always a skinny kid and had a high metabolism (ok Karen has girl bits something I don't... darn! lol) anyway I always knew based on my father that I would probably hit 40 or so and start to, er, fillout... well it took the tx to start that, and perhaps the weekly pints at the pub to "enhance" it.. but meh I am who I am.

When it comes to how I see others with weight issues I am less interested in how big (or small) someone is but how healthy they are.  for example years ago I dated a lovely girl who was a larger size at the time and she was a bit self conscious of that but it didn't matter to me.. it was sitll her. Anyway she pulled her finger out and did a lot of training, gym, running etc and lost a lot of weight and well the shallow end of the poool started to notice how cute she was.  Soon she was hit on all the time (we'd split up by that time-- a long story) but I did think yeah she LOOKS great but to me she was still the amazing sweet wonderful woman I first met and fell for. She's put on some since (and had a kid) and again worries about it, but she's still way more normal sized than she was all those years ago  and even though we're well past the rship stage, just good friends now, I do remind her constantly that it doesn't matter her size or whatever.. she's still got the same core ingredients of an awesome lady she always had.. and that is what is important I think.

Of course when it comes to health issues such as tx evaluation and stuff.... docs aren't being shallow in making comments about weight.. there are real health issues involved for some with extreme weight issues. I get that. strain on the heart fr one, various other things.. even ability to recover from serious surgery etc  They want the best outcomes for all patients - donors, recipients etc so I can understand pressure from that point of view. I also understand that there are some people who no matter what stay where they are - large, skinny, whatever. Sometimes it literally is a case of being "big boned"

I'm sorry to those that have felt victimised or bullied because of weight issues. sometimes it's really not fair hen there's nothing you can do about it, or all you do try comes up to nothing.... sure some people, like that girl long ago I dated, definitely could lose a lot of weight... but I get that it's not that simple or easy for everyone (and it wasn't easy for her.. she worked out like crazy to do it... and I admired she had a goal and worked so hard to get there! but it required commitment and effort over a period of, well, years...)

Maybe that's the core - I mean that ignorant comments of these sorts is because it's often easy to see someone and make a quick judgement without really knowing all the facts, or history, or anything.. and we ALL do it (yes me too) from time to time. Often it's little things that are harmless, but other times when you act on those judgement calls - like making ignorant comments - can be very hurtful to some and insulting or just obviously stupid without context.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1505 on: March 23, 2013, 06:16:14 AM »

i miss work! i used to work TWO jobs(one full time, one part time.. but still) , and go to college (two classes..) and take care of jareth by myself.. so ive been in his shoes.

weight is such a pain, i noticed, for me, if i try, i gain, if i dont try i lose... go figure? i think drs are a little too harsh about it sometimes... i understand that it isnt "healthy" to be obese, but instead of just simply saying dude your too fat, they should help come up with solutions ...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
JasonEb

« Reply #1506 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »

My impression of every dietician I've talked to/heard in my 12+ years of doing dialysis (especially when talking to a brand new patient):

Dietician (enthusiastically):  Do you like <fill-in-the-blank>?

Patient:  Yes!

Dietician (serious):  You can't have that.
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1507 on: May 08, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »

"A week from Tuesday" is my new answer to the stupid question I get all the time.  Just this morning my dentist asked me, "So how long will you new kidney last?"  My answer, with a straight face, "A week from Tuesday."  What else can I saw to such a dumb question?   Grrr.

And today I got to hear all about how sometimes the side effects of medications can be worse than the original problem.  "I would never take a suitcase of meds.  If I ever need more than a medication or two, I would  just refuse because the side effects would case so many other problems." the dentist tech said.   "So", I want to ask, "I should refuse to take the meds that keep my kidney in me but cause other problems?"

I'm cranky today, but people need to just shut up!  They talk about things they know nothing about!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1508 on: May 08, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »

"A week from Tuesday" is my new answer to the stupid question I get all the time.  Just this morning my dentist asked me, "So how long will you new kidney last?"  My answer, with a straight face, "A week from Tuesday."  What else can I saw to such a dumb question?   Grrr.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :clap; :clap; :clap; :2thumbsup;
can i borrow this?!?! roflmao

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
midges

« Reply #1509 on: May 08, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »

My neighbor thinks that anything can be remedied by the right combination of yoga, fresh juice and optimism. I told him that kidneys don't come back once you get to ESRD, but he argued that *I* was wrong. I am so tired of explaining fluid restrictions to everybody and I really wish people could quit telling me that I just need more water or juice and I'll be all better. Apparently I am just not thinking positively enough. I was just dumbfounded. I might never speak to him again.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1510 on: May 08, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »

Apparently I am just not thinking positively enough.

Ah, but you are now positive he's an idiot.  Tell him to give you his kidney so you can start fresh and follow all his good advice.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :clap; :clap; :clap; :2thumbsup;
can i borrow this?!?! roflmao

I, too, think I may need to use this.  My apologies if I do so with providing the proper footnotes to attribute it to you, dear, but that is just too good of an answer to pass up!  So far, I've been using "Sometime between tomorrow and ten years,"  which is just a wee bit too truthful to shut them up....

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1511 on: May 08, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »

I think that is the perfect answer for the "how long will the kidney last/when are you getting a kidney" question.  I can see the conversation now.

Well meaning (hopefully) but ignorant person: "So, when are you going to get a kidney?"

Me (in total deadpan): "A week from Tuesday."

WMBIP (enthusiastically): "Really?"

Me: "Probably not, no."

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1512 on: May 09, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »

:rofl;
LOVE it!

I am so tired of the fact that people are so surprised that I haven't got a kidney yet!  Even though the last time we spoke I told them it was a 10 year wait.   :stressed;
iKAZ3D

06/08/2013

« Reply #1513 on: May 11, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »

A Sample of Ignorance
The Date: MARCH 2012
The Thesis: WHO WANTS A CHALLENGE?! TRY IT OUT

Life can suck, and what sucks can be relative to everyone, but this is my life in one week. Do you want to try it? Cool. If you're not able to complete this entirely, you'll see that it is a struggle. You will be taking next week to do this. I want you to find a chair that is somewhat comfy, not exactly nap worthy. You will have guidelines to follow, and if you don't, you haven't gotten the experience to protest my behavior, because sometimes it's not all about the sitting.

Now, assuming all of you were now suddenly born with Chronic Renal Failure, and throughout your childhood life, your kidneys have proceeded to fail more and more every year. You are now 14, and have been placed on Dialysis until you receive a kidney transplant. Since this is make-believe, you are not able to get the experience of appointments, weight gains between treatments, and migraines and muscle cramps.

Ok, ready for the actual challenge? You are to find the chair and place it in-front of a TV. With this TV you are allowed NOTHING obtained through satellite. There is a game console there, but you are unable to use online play, and any game you play (unless you bring it in) must be more appropriate than "M" rated games. That means "E" and "T" are your only options. Already hard? Good.

Now that we have your limited entertainment set up, you are to set your nutritional guidelines. You are allowed 1 8oz glass of water OR 1 8oz can of Sprite. You can only get Goldfish, Lorna Doones or Rice Krispie treats (max of 2).

Finally, the set up. You must sit in the chair for 4 complete hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday of next week (No choosing a day, you must, if you wish to prove me wrong, complete it everyday). You can have one blanket.

Are you still interested in proving me wrong? Are you ready to complete the challenge?! Alright! Add Monday AFTER SCHOOL to your agenda's. You must reserve 5 HOURS total for this challenge. M,W and F. If you do not follow ONE guideline, you are disqualified and have no right to prove me wrong. If you STILL feel like I'm wrong, then now you must do this…

Consider this EVERY WEEK of EVERY MONTH of EVERY YEAR of EVERY DECADE of EVERY CENTURY until you get transplanted.

Ok I really dont like Hemo Dialysis no offense

- From a PD patient

Just one problem. Non of Us can get any form of Dialysis in our normal forms. we'd die. Simple as that. The sudden removal of bacteria in the body would lead to an uncontrolled growth of white blood cells, eating away at normal tissue. Oh. And the whole soda thing, no offense. People have it alot worse. Your complaining about material possessions. "The things we own, own us." "Only when we're lost everything are we free to do anything." It's the attitude that I believe you need to have more of. No offense. But you complain about things that can be changed. The lifestyle thing can be different. Friends can come and go. My main point though. You can fix alot of things. You complain about your grades falling from having to go to treatment. Do your hw under treatement, and in the car. Lifestyle wise, think of it as a diet. Many refuse sodas food and such

- Matt M.

I respond with: "Matt, you don't go through it so you can't speak for yourself. I can't do my homework as well on treatment. What don't you get about blood...pulled out...cycled...cleaned...returned? It sums up to cRAMPS...and MIGRAINES."

You get your blood cycled in the car?
-Matt M.

Hayley: I took medicine to put my from 4-8 to solve heart problems. I was a vegetarian to improve my health for 6 months last year. I understand what he is going through, but the point I'm trying to make is, we get it. We know Weston has Kidney complications. But when you make a status expecting pity for it, it just makes it totally wrong.

- Matthew thinking his "heart problem" (not severe in anyway) is comparable. He is attacking a fellow Dialysis patient here.

If you expected understanding, then you'd post the link to the national kidney foundations website.

- Why post a link to a person writing an article who DOESN'T HAVE RENAL FAILURE? Why not get from experience?

Weston listen the phrase walk a mile in another mans shoes was not meant to be taken literally I don't understand what its like to be in constant physical pain and most likely boredom but I do understand that not everybody was placed with this problem I think that asking everyone to do so is like saying I was once on a sinking ship go try it dont take this the wrong way I care about ya man and I dont necessarily feel sorry for you as much as I wish I could do something about it but listen this challenge (while this may have not been your intent) looks like a pity me sort of thing I think if you just do things in a more er.... optimistic manner things might actually look up for you this whole thing here is not good for your health physichally or mentally. and further more you really shouldn't simply bring up the fact that you could die so much it makes things seem so surreal because you say its gonna happen at any moment but it hasnt and I dont honestly want to spend my every waking moment thinking oh my very good friend weston could be dead that would be too much and having people take this challenge proves everything I have just said I dont take matts or ANYONES sides ok I am neutral ok?

- The bane of my existence, the sultan of my School, Jude S. He is an ignorant little twat.

well if the time arises for me to try it I will and it may suck but alot of things suck and there are people who have it worse that don't go around parading their bringing up of dialysis take it from someone who's been in the position of watching a friend slowly die they never brought it up because we wanted to live in the moment even talk about what we were gonna do when he got better and you know what he did after suffering with cancer for 3 whole freakin years of kemo! and attempting it won't prove anything ok if you want to make a point do something bigger broaden your horizons past facebook!

- Hypocrites! You say "oh, someone has it worse than you", but yet when someone (me) who has it worse than YOU, the rules don't apply to the narcissistic prick!

The reason I refused was because you acted like "try it or you're an ass" so yes I will formally refuse and if you have response tell me about your troubles to my face not on facebook please so any other combacks I will formally refuse to acknowledge

- Did my challenge ever imply a "try it or you're an ass" implication?

No you act like a little bitch at times when people refuse to do something like try this challange. And ur only tagging them in ur comments to have them back u up. Ur right I'm not on chemo and shit but ik when to stop u kinda don't. NOT EVERYONE WILL UNDERSTAND THAT'S WHAT UR NOT GETTING!! Just becuz u wrote a statuse and tagged ppl doesn't mean they will always understand
-Jenni F, daughter of a Russian serial killer, or so she says? :/

I've had a college reading level since the 3rd grade so ya I can p*cking read
-Jude, I have a hard time believing that when you write like a chimpanzee on heroin.

Ok fine and your medical life is your life because you make t that way look around you and look at the good things you have1) you aren't dead 2) you're immediate death is not set in stone
- Jude; Had I know that you die within 2-4 weeks of quitting Dialysis, I would've thrown that shit right in his face.

3) you have friends
-Jude added this in a separate comment. Isn't it ironic and rather hilarious? I HAVE FRIENDS? What kind of friends? Friends from Hell itself?

weston I can now see you are unstable you took everything we just said and turned it into a joke for your "real" friends I guess that makes the rest of us your filler

Real friends would be friends defending my honor with comments such as:
You guys are all ridiculous. Your stupidity is on a level I didn't even know was possible. Cut weston some slack, he doesn't want to hear your hurtful opinion. Mkay? Do everyone a favor and shut up and be a good friend not tear him down and make him feel worse. I feel bad for you. You have all these "friends" that don't even support you and stand by your side. Wish I was there to be with you every step of the way. Stay strong boo.
- My best friend, Paige Sp. Moved away when we were 11. Still keep in touch :)

Thanks weston your a shitty friend right now and its the truth.

-Jenni F once again (I clarify her last initial because my sister's name is Jenni)

I've met people in worse situations who wouldn't pull this shit

-Jude; Oh, ok, but those people beg for Facebook likes in an effort to "cure" their disease, and then they get Schools and what not to basically raise money and GIVE them that money. I simply wanted friends to shut the hell up abut their petty problems.

Teia you can shut the p*ck up

-Jude the Narcissistic Intolerable Prick goes too far when he insults my dialysis friend, even though she made this list of ignorant comments.

Weston u stooped p*cking low. Your a little bitch who can't handle what we are trying to explain. Unfriend me. Now.
- Someone's lazy! (Jenni F)

I dont hate you weston I just dont want you to continue in this self destructive pattern you simply let things flow as they should naturally

-WHAT IN GOD'S ALL HAILING NAME DO YOU KNOW ABOUT 'SELF DESTRUCTIVE' WHEN SPEAKING ABOUT DIALYSIS? Oh right, his grandmother's on Dialysis and he's visited her while she was on Dialysis once for like 10 minutes. That's solid argument grounds.

Well weston if you are gonna be like that then I shall bid you a formal ad'ieu

-So fancy, you can use French.

If you wish to see all comments, I'm more than willing to compile images of this tirade of ignorance.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:31:36 AM by iKAZ3D » Logged

August 16th, 1996 - Born in Sacramento, CA; Born with Posterior Urethral Valves
September 2008 - Large Reconstruction, bladder augmented, stoma placed and ureters fixed
September 2010 - Needed emergency hip surgery for Slipped Capital Femoral Epithysis
September 2010 - Started Dialysis without refusal (Big mistake)
Summer/Fall 2011 - "Inactivated" on the Inactive Transplant List
October 2012 - Activated on the transplant list
November 30th, 2012 - Surgeons threatening to not to a transplant based on weight
April 25th, 2013 - Lost 25 pounds (97kg), however developed highly resistant bladder bacteria, Inactivated from list until eradicated
May 15th, 2013 - Finally cleared of the bacteria, reactivating on list imminent.
May 24th, 2013 - Reactivated on the list!
June 8th, 2013 - Transplant!
June 19th, 2013 - Dialysis Catheter officially removed and returned home from the hospital!
June 21st, 2016 - Sleeve Gastrectomy
March 11th, 2019 - Revision to Gastric Bypass
iKAZ3D

06/08/2013

« Reply #1514 on: May 11, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »

I GOT TO ADD THIS ONE!

You live a life. Isn't that enough for you. Most of us have some form of medicine to keep us alive. If you don't feel grateful, then stop treatment. Watch what happens.

- Said...TO ME...Regarding me frustrated about Dialysis. This is from Matt M.

HE. HAS. NO. SIGNIFICANT. HEALTH. PROBLEMS.

Newsflash, Dialysis keeps you alive, dumbass.  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap;

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 02:26:10 PM by iKAZ3D » Logged

September 2008 - Large Reconstruction, bladder augmented, stoma placed and ureters fixed
September 2010 - Needed emergency hip surgery for Slipped Capital Femoral Epithysis
November 30th, 2012 - Surgeons threatening to not to a transplant based on weight
April 25th, 2013 - Lost 25 pounds (97kg), however developed highly resistant bladder bacteria, Inactivated from list until eradicated
May 15th, 2013 - Finally cleared of the bacteria, reactivating on list imminent.
June 19th, 2013 - Dialysis Catheter officially removed and returned home from the hospital!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1515 on: May 11, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »

You can't expect your friends to understand it all.  My friends didn't get it when I was your age, nor did most of my classmates and teachers, but the ones who cared, tried.  My friends now don't get it all, but they try.  It's the ones who try that you need to keep close.  They are the ones who will stick by you.  Screw the rest of them.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1516 on: May 12, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »

WOW
I know that kids (thats what i assume these people who commented are) are really heartless and lost in their own worlds, but daaaaaaaaaaamn. While I think a few of those were trying to tell you to look at the bright sides(maybe going about it the wrong way though), most were just being jerks.

First thing I really want to point out, your challenge is actually the minimal of what we do deal with sometimes. No one can truly understand what we deal with, because its soo much, and explaining it really doesnt give the real feelings we have. even doing what you suggested is really only a small portion of what we deal with.
Even some adults cant possibly understand, but kids? it would be impossible, most of them have had maybe a broken bone to compare to... which to them, may have been the end of the world. ( you know, they have a splinter and its killing them, but we have a giant log... )

I am an adult, who started D when I was 23, and I cant even begin to imagine what it would be like to be a child on dialysis!!

I am sorry that some people said some really rude things to you. I learned a while ago, not to expect anyone to truly understand what I'm dealing with, because even the people in my life who see me on a regular basis don't truly understand.

HemoDialysis since 2007
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1517 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »

But I thought duct tape could fix anything.....

I have seen a dialysis machine fixed with duct tape (used to keep the door on the blood pump closed).
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1518 on: May 21, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »

Wow! Some people don't even try to get it!
I actually had someone finally understand a little bit of how I felt after D when I was hospitalized for pneumonia.
I had just started training for HomeD and the first day, I found out my temp was 103. I didn't even know it because that was how I always felt after going to the clinic!
Anyway, a friend said to my husband, "Wow! She must really feel bad al the time if she didn't even know she was sick!"
This from the same person who knew someone (years ago) who was on dialysis and THEY never had any trouble!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1519 on: June 03, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »

Someone told me today that "you are lucky to have been on dialysis so many years" .  Hmmm never thought of myself as lucky...  I think if you can live your life and HAVE A CARREER and then go on dialysis at age 90 you are lucky. 

I guess my sister who died of cancer at 44 would have rather had ESRD.  You get to live but .....  Okay, I'm just in a whinny mood.

:Kit n Stik;

JasonEb

« Reply #1520 on: June 05, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

I am sorry to say that I must agree with many of the "friends".  While your challenge is great in concept (and similar to one I've proposed that every person who works in dialysis go through once every six months), this challenge reads more as a "pity me" than a "understand and empathize with my situation" post.  Some of your hardships are pretty minor (not having satellite and only having access to "E" and "T" rated games, let alone having access to "only" one game console at all, for example.  At the unit I started at 12+ years ago, there was one tv for every three patients to share, and only half of those tv's actually worked [that unit has thankfully been shut down and rebuilt since then]). No soda, a limited selection of snacks, and only one blanket provided?  Again, at none of the units I have been at in my 12+ years of doing this have provided any of these (other than water).  If you want these things, you bring them yourself.  I am not saying my situation is worse than yours, just pointing out that you may have it better than you realize. These are more minor annoyances than anything else and would do little to garner sympathy or empathy.

That being said, I do understand some of your issues, like not being able to do homework while on dialysis.  I would much rather read than watch tv during treatment but it causes my blood pressure to drop quickly if I do so.  Same thing happens if I have an extended conversation, especially in the last hour of my treatment.  Nurses, doctors, PA's, dieticians, techs, social workers...they all want to discuss important matters or even "just know how things are going" while I'm doing my best just trying not to pass out.  I often use the analogy of how they would feel, after coming to after surgery, someone hovered over them and wanted to discuss their taxes.

Anyway, kids being kids and communication being what the internet has turned it into (tact is now a four-letter word online according to this 40-year old fogey), I see comments made on both side which are immature, rude, and uncalled for.  Some of your friends did seem to honestly try to show (whether doing so successfully or unsuccessfully) empathy, and your response was to be snarky and even insulting in some cases.  Again, their response to your curtness wasn't any better, but still...

~Jason
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:59:49 PM by JasonEb » Logged
iKAZ3D

06/08/2013

« Reply #1521 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »

I am sorry to say that I must agree with many of the "friends".  While your challenge is great in concept (and similar to one I've proposed that every person who works in dialysis go through once every six months), this challenge reads more as a "pity me" than a "understand and empathize with my situation" post.  Some of your hardships are pretty minor (not having satellite and only having access to "E" and "T" rated games, let alone having access to "only" one game console at all, for example.  At the unit I started at 12+ years ago, there was one tv for every three patients to share, and only half of those tv's actually worked [that unit has thankfully been shut down and rebuilt since then]). No soda, a limited selection of snacks, and only one blanket provided?  Again, at none of the units I have been at in my 12+ years of doing this have provided any of these (other than water).  If you want these things, you bring them yourself.  I am not saying my situation is worse than yours, just pointing out that you may have it better than you realize. These are more minor annoyances than anything else and would do little to garner sympathy or empathy.

That being said, I do understand some of your issues, like not being able to do homework while on dialysis.  I would much rather read than watch tv during treatment but it causes my blood pressure to drop quickly if I do so.  Same thing happens if I have an extended conversation, especially in the last hour of my treatment.  Nurses, doctors, PA's, dieticians, techs, social workers...they all want to discuss important matters or even "just know how things are going" while I'm doing my best just trying not to pass out.  I often use the analogy of how they would feel, after coming to after surgery, someone hovered over them and wanted to discuss their taxes.

Anyway, kids being kids and communication being what the internet has turned it into (tact is now a four-letter word online according to this 40-year old fogey), I see comments made on both side which are immature, rude, and uncalled for.  Some of your friends did seem to honestly try to show (whether doing so successfully or unsuccessfully) empathy, and your response was to be snarky and even insulting in some cases.  Again, their response to your curtness wasn't any better, but still...

~Jason

I'm disappointed when I see Renal Patients agreeing with ignorant assholes.

Remember, this was UNIT SPECIFIC.

That's how my unit operated, so that's what rules they had to follow. You also sound just like them in that it seemed as a "pity me" activity.

Again...Disappointed.
 :thumbdown;

Krisna

« Reply #1522 on: September 07, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »

Okay, I have a funny one because it was my dad who did and he knows better.  One day after one of my transplants had failed I was spending the day with my dad.  It had been long enough that my output had stopped and my dad knew this.  We decided we were gonna take a drive up to Mount Rainier which isn't far from where he lived.  As we were getting ready to go out the door my dad looks at me and says, "Do you have to use the bathroom?"  He meant did I need to pee?  I looked at him and I said, "That was STUPID question!"  And looked confused for a second and then said, "Oh yeah." 

I grew up looking at that mountain every single day!

My other funny story doesn't have to do with my health but my car breaking down and I don't know if I should post that one here or not.  But it wasn't funny at the time. 

I already posted my not funny ones in this thread I think.

One that gets me sometimes though, is when people look at me funny because I park in the disable parking spots and then say something like, you don't look disable or you don't like you're sick!"  As if you can really tell that way!  I usually just walk past them without saying anything.  My legs never regained their full muscle strength after my small intestine ruptured in Dec. 2002.  So, I can't walk very far.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:20:22 PM by Krisna » Logged

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Ninanna

« Reply #1523 on: September 08, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »

Doctor at dialysis access center, "You have kidney problems?"
Me: "yes...."
Dr.: "What stage are you?"
Me: "stage 5"
Dr.: *rambles on about finding big juicy veins and walks away* *comes back and asks, "you're stage 5?!"

You would think that doctors at a dialysis access center would have more tact than that.

Sometimes it's just frustrating. You can't understand this disease until you have it. Even people who genuinely care and try to understand can never truly get it. I work 10+ hour days.  To be able to do that I basically come home every night and go straight to bed. I rarely miss work, and when I do it's because I'm at a doctors. Every single day I feel sick and tired. Every. Single. Day. It frustrates me to no end when people leave work early because "my stomach is upset" or call out because they stayed up late the night before. When this happens it means I have to work even harder/longer hours to get the job done. If they only knew how much I kill myself everyday just to be there and to seem normal.  I want to tell them to suck it up so bad lol.  I guess I am jealous that they get to see "pain" through their rose colored glasses while mine were forcibly removed. :(

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1524 on: September 08, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »

I agree it is hard to watch whiny people who are basically healthy complain . I admire you for working full time plus with kidney disease. It takes courage and WILLPOWER to go in every day while feeling rotten and do your job. To me , heros arent the people who find themselves in life or death situations and act appropriatly and save a life. Thats easy , doing it ONCE. Real heros are the people like you(and my wife) who live with medical issues or other major issues and quietly get up , go to work and do their job , EVERY DAY. That is much harder than a one shot life saving act. YOUARE A HERO.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »