I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464402 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1450 on: November 03, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

i got a ... strange compliment? i think? the other day, a lady said i look really good for being on dialysis...
Yes, its a compliment im sure, but its still kind of annoying, am i supposed to give up and not try anymore just because i have illness??
i admit on D days i dont try and half the time i wear my pajamas lol but on off days? really?

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #1451 on: November 03, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »

People must think that Dialysis isn't for the younger people.. (I'm 29) & if I had a penny for every time I was told ... I'm to young for dialysis or I'm to pretty to be on dialysis ... OR ... I look good for being on dialysis I would be RICH!!
 :rofl;
The best is when someone tells me they know I will get a kidney this year or in past years ... its been 7 yrs later & where is this kidney???

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
AnnieB

« Reply #1452 on: November 03, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »

were they volunteering? Maybe you should have the paperwork handy just in case.....
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1453 on: November 03, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »

People must think that Dialysis isn't for the younger people.. (I'm 29) & if I had a penny for every time I was told ... I'm to young for dialysis or I'm to pretty to be on dialysis ... OR ... I look good for being on dialysis I would be RICH!!
 :rofl;
The best is when someone tells me they know I will get a kidney this year or in past years ... its been 7 yrs later & where is this kidney???

That goes along with all the 'Really? You don't look sick" comments I get.. but that also goes with the "you're not really blind cuz you can still see" comments I get as well   ::)

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Emerson Burick

« Reply #1454 on: November 09, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

The worst thing that anyone has said to me was right after I was diagnosed and I was still in the hospital. My father's wife insisted that I had to repent to Jesus right away because I didn't have time to hesitate.

I always wanted someone to bring up religion being the cause of my kidney failure just so that I could point out that I must have had ticked off God in precisely the same way as my brother, mother, grandfather, and great-grandfather. That's not a personal punishment from a modern deity, that's a curse from a Greek tragedy.

Instead, I'll have to save my wrath for those who thank God/Jesus for getting them a transplant but fail to blame God/Jesus for needing it in the first place.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1455 on: November 10, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »

I always wanted someone to bring up religion being the cause of my kidney failure just so that I could point out that I must have had ticked off God in precisely the same way as my brother, mother, grandfather, and great-grandfather. That's not a personal punishment from a modern deity, that's a curse from a Greek tragedy.

Instead, I'll have to save my wrath for those who thank God/Jesus for getting them a transplant but fail to blame God/Jesus for needing it in the first place.

Love it  :bow;  I had the preparation-nurse just before I received my dad's kidney, say that I should have prayed more, I never could respond to her, as I went under. Coward, I'm sure she was counting

:angel;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1456 on: November 10, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »

Well, I'm thankful. 

I do think that I was a real shit to other kids when I was young.  Maybe that is why my kidneys failed.  It has made me closer to God because I want the promise of eternity without sickness.  I'm claiming it now.

:waving;

ceb3370

« Reply #1457 on: November 11, 2012, 02:59:55 AM »

when a taxi driver saw my arm, where the veins are getting larger. he told me.

"Are you injured? are your arms broken? are you skateboardigng?"

well of course i don't want to narrate my situation, (we had a long ride)..

i just did say yes, and i said "better stop skateboarding now"..

and then i had a quite journey.

"If your not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary"
Visit my Dialysis Blog:
www.Janshideout.com
MommyChick

« Reply #1458 on: November 11, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

the other day as I'm waiting for them to call me back to be put on dialysis.. another dialysis patients asks.. why I'm still on dialysis?   :Kit n Stik;  its kind of hard to stop D without a kidney!

- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1459 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »

the other day as I'm waiting for them to call me back to be put on dialysis.. another dialysis patients asks.. why I'm still on dialysis?   :Kit n Stik;  its kind of hard to stop D without a kidney!

That was a stupid question..

I kinda like fooling with other patients that don't know me that well.  I wait for the right question.. has to be "how long have you been doing this?"   I say, "twenty years." They just look at me funny.  It's true, I started dialysis in 1991, but if they're not specific, I won't answer specifically.

Then there's the question, "how long have you been coming here?"  The unit has only been open since September, so I'm honest when I answer their question too..

I'm a jerk.. *LOL*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
MommyChick

« Reply #1460 on: November 16, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »

That was a stupid question..

I kinda like fooling with other patients that don't know me that well.  I wait for the right question.. has to be "how long have you been doing this?"   I say, "twenty years." They just look at me funny.  It's true, I started dialysis in 1991, but if they're not specific, I won't answer specifically.

Then there's the question, "how long have you been coming here?"  The unit has only been open since September, so I'm honest when I answer their question too..

I'm a jerk.. *LOL*
That is pretty funny though... I got another one...
On Wednesday I was on the machine & this guy aside of me over heard me talking to the nurse about the transplant list.. he then asks me.. don't they just have a place where they keep spare kidneys & can hand them out?
It was so hard for me to hold back laughing, but I explained it all to him & he was very surprised by it all! he though once you get on the list you get a kidney right away.
I wish it was that easy!!!   :rofl;

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1461 on: November 16, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »

Oh yeah... if only.. it's amazing how ignorant people can be about the whole process.. it's no wonder there's a shortage of donors, if they think there's a stockpile somewhere...

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #1462 on: February 01, 2013, 04:17:49 AM »

Recently while I was in Sydney to support my sister and her hubby when he gave her one of his kidneys (and they are both recovering amazingly well!) I was speaking to a lady who was asking how it all happened. When I said they'd both undergone surgery the same morning, she was astounded: "So the doctors just took out one of his kidneys and put it straight in to your sister?", she asked. Yep, there's that cupboard thing looming again. What was this lady thinkinh? That they would tape him up and store it for a few days on a cupboard somewhere before passing it on :rofl;?!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Cowdog

« Reply #1463 on: February 01, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »

Numerious times I've been asked, "You still have to go do that dialysis stuff?" Answer "Yes".
Then from the real lulus (and there are a lot of them out there) get "How much longer are you going to have to do that?" Standard answer now after getting sick of this particular question "Doc says I can quit whenever I want to." Then I quickly add "I'll die in about 2 weeks but I don't have to go if I don't want to."
Get the shocked face from them and they move on.

Hemo in Center since 11/2008
Self Cannulate since 2011
In Center Self Care since 2012
PaDude

« Reply #1464 on: February 01, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »

Okay, here's the one that caught me of guard.  When i told my primary physician i had chosen to go on PD his comment was "Oh, I thought that was only for people who were gettting a transplant in the near future". All i could think of was Homer Simpson "Doh".
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1465 on: February 01, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »

doctors are just as stupid as anyone else... trust me, I've seen many different ones since 1991...

The best was the time I was in the ER with a throat infection, and Mom and I both could hear the 2 doctors arguing over who was going to take me.. they'd seen on my chart that I was on dialysis and neither wanted me.. Mom ducked her head out the door and told them that i had a throat infection, and that seemed to calm them down..

being a kid on dialysis in this province was a pain in the neck.. but then, I was the only one, so that could have been the problem.... *G*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kit78

« Reply #1466 on: February 03, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »

I've been at the same Dialysis center for 7 months now and to this day they STILL ask me if I am a diabetic!  I'm not going to answer them any more.  Plus, a friend commented that I must drink a lot of water.  No, I told her before I am limited to 4 cups a day so I only do ice.  Why do people ask questions if they don't listen in the first place?

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1467 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »

Sometimes you have to keep telling them until it sinks in.. It took years for my Dad to figure out that what he thinks is healthy is great for him, but is not for me

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1468 on: February 03, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »

my family still struggles with some of that as well. My dad is usually really good about asking me what i can have, if hes cooking dinner for us. Noone else really does, and they make the worse things i could possibly have LOL And the fluid is like a huge issue with everyone.
my guess is they just dont fully understand the consequences... so its not always on their minds like it is ours...
And, then, there are folks like my brother, who just dont care. His words, "I dont care about a fluid restriction, if i am thirsty, i will drink, and deal with the cramps and whatnot." HA! good luck with that, if you ever have to deal with it! ya jackass!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1469 on: February 03, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »

I get the "are you diabetic" from everyone in the health care field.  I want it tattooed on my forehead "I AM NOT DIABETIC!!"   :banghead;

My latest aggravation is about the transplant list.  I get "I don't know why you haven't gotten a kidney yet" and "Where are you on the list?"  I don't know why I haven't gotten a kidney yet, your guess is as good as mine.  Guess I'm not praying hard enough to the kidney gods.    :Kit n Stik; 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1470 on: February 04, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »

I think I posted this before. When people ask, is Jenna on the list, I say, "There's a list?"

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1471 on: February 04, 2013, 04:42:26 AM »

After my transplant, "Now how long will this kidney last?"

WishIKnew
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1472 on: February 09, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »

The dialysis tech last year who told me " Drink a lot of fluid to help your cold go away."  I laughed.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1473 on: March 08, 2013, 07:38:16 AM »

doctors are just as stupid as anyone else... trust me, I've seen many different ones since 1991...

I was recently in the hospital and encountered MDs who:

- Didn't understand the term "residual function" when used in a renal context
- Did not understand why I was transfusion adverse, and actually said "I didn't know that" when I mentioned antibody sensitization
- Were not aware that home hemodialysis exists
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1474 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »

I was recently in the hospital and encountered MDs who:
- Didn't understand the term "residual function" when used in a renal context
- Did not understand why I was transfusion adverse, and actually said "I didn't know that" when I mentioned antibody sensitization
- Were not aware that home hemodialysis exists

Then there are doctors who seem to have never heard of the field of genetics and refuse - refuse! - to believe others in your family have/had the same disease. Really? I mean, did you sleep through every one of your biology classes?

I get the "are you diabetic" from everyone in the health care field.  I want it tattooed on my forehead "I AM NOT DIABETIC!!"   :banghead;

I am so with you on this. I've had docs order blood sugar tests even after being told REPEATEDLY that I'm not diabetic.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:56:01 AM by Desert Dancer » Logged

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »