I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463094 times)
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2006, 10:26:22 PM »

if im getting slippers to match i MUST have the panties also.

midnight blue crotchless panties kitkatz...now thats what im talking about, all lacey thou

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2006, 10:38:41 PM »

Now, you are sending me the cash for these things?  No? Oh well.  It will have to be a dream.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2006, 05:10:37 AM »

Okay - I want my official club membership card now!

I got my dialysis schedule - it's T-TR-Saturday, starting at noon.  The family Christmas party for my side of the family is scheduled for Saturday.  I don't expect them to change it - it's been scheduled for almost two months now, and everyone else has reworked their schedules to fit.  But I did tell dad and stepmom that I would be arriving late, since the party will be starting at 4, and I have an hour and half drive from the center to their place. 

Stepmom says "Can't you just skip it?

I just love it when they say "can't you just skip it"....  i'm like, were you even listening to me when I explained to you what dialysis is and why I need it? Obviously not if your saying just skip it...  ::)
Ya no kidding! That is exactly how I felt when family members have said that to me (not immediate family but close enough where they have heard me explain dialysis at least a few times over the last 5 frickan years!! :banghead; )

I really feel like they do NOT listen to a word I say! Yet they ask as if they are interested and I am dumb enough to fall for it and believe they really want to know. My mom has always told me that I am too dumb to realize when people are "just being polite" ..  :-[

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2006, 10:09:44 PM »

People who are just being polite usually do not make insensitive comments to you about your disease!  A little foot stomping may be in order around some people!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
gizmar

« Reply #204 on: December 16, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »

I hate to talk about my own family ... but... when I come home from dialysis and feel like crap they phone and tell me - "oh well, tomorrow you'll be better".  I find this kind of conversation very dismissive. 
Or...I love it when they tell you - "gee you look great, you must be exaggerating how crappy you're feeling".  I don't get how the exterior is an indicator of the interior.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »

Or the cowroker who walked up to me one day I am feeling pretty good and says: "You look awful".   Well thanks a bunch!

lifenotonthelist.com

Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2006, 11:57:26 PM »

Hey Richard

I'll come and drink it with you Richard......I am always in Melbourne on business.

I can't believe it....my dad is a lawyer and he would have done exactly the same...and he is on dialysis himself

You wonder how they got through uni don't you...

Sorry, I just had to LOL because it was all too familiar
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2006, 12:09:53 AM »

How about the medical professional who says: You look pretty good for someone who has been on dialysis for as long as you have."
Just what is the right answer to that one?? "Gee thanks. I try hard." or "See what dialysis can do for you." or "Yeah, it is great way of life."

lifenotonthelist.com

hemohortensia

« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2006, 05:48:56 PM »

So the medical field doesn't know all that much either....everytime I go to the ER, they ask for your history of course, and I have to say I had a kidney transplant before. Everytime, this is the first question after I say that.. "Which kidney?"... Which kidney WHAT?? I had a whole new kidney put in... WTF.... where do these people go to school??? .."Was is it the right or left kidney?" uhm, neither? My kidneys failed and I had a new one put in.. so I have 3 kidneys in me, all of which dont work now.  ::)

Forgive me for my ignorance but I have been asked the same question because my transplanted kidney was put in my right abdomen. Knowing the answer is extremely important should you need further abdominal surgery. So you may have 3 non-functioning kidneys in your body but one is a left kidney, one is a right kidney and the transplanted one is? If your torso is like mine, you have so many scars, you can't tell which is for what!

And you might be interested in knowing that the left kidney has longer vessels and is usually the one used. This is now the subject of debate since the left kidney is routinely taken from living donors even if the right doesn't function as well (which doesn't seem fair - to give the better kidney to the recipient) It is now also the subject of studies as to whether laparoscopic donors can just as easily donate the less functional kidney.

Frankly, I don't find this ignorant at all.

devlinswife

« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2006, 10:12:52 PM »

OK, so Tuesday was my first double stick for my fistula, They have to stick me way done by my wrist so it's pretty sensitive, needless to say I started crying ( I normally do not cry) Anyway my one nurse had the guts to tell me I would never be able to get a tattoo, Granted I don't have any tattoos, but I have to say that a dialysis needle is a whole heck of a lot bigger than a tattoo needle. What do all of you that have tats and do dialysis think? Should I be upset?

Live each day as if it will be your last!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2006, 04:40:58 AM »

Devlinswife    attack on nurse <SMACK>

Unbelievable.
nextnoel

« Reply #211 on: December 21, 2006, 08:25:52 AM »

I take it the nurse (1) doesn't have any tattoos, (2) doesn't have any sense, and (3) may be in the wrong business.

I have a tattoo of flowers that encircles my wrist, which took a very long time to execute.  Yes, I felt it, and yes, it hurt sometimes, but it couldn't have been anything compared to getting big needles poked in your fistula!  The tattoo needles are smaller, and do not actually penetrate very deeply.

Pfffbbttt to that nurse! >:(  (and feel free to quote me!)

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »

I second that.. Pfffbbttt, ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2006, 02:53:59 PM »

I've had 3 tattoos done, the last of which was VERY painful, and I'd still run in fear of those dialysis needles.  So the very fact that you were able to sit there and allow them to stick you, is testament to your pain threshold.  Don't let the stupidity get you down!   :cuddle;

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2006, 03:32:35 PM »

I second that.. Pfffbbttt, ;)

I third that.. Pfffbbttt,  ;)

It amazes me to think about some of the ignorant nurses I have met in my time. It makes me wonder if they were "giving" away free nursing licenses at one point. Some people should just NOT be a nurse, but what really bothers me are nurses who talk about things like they have the facts, yet they know nothing about the matter and they do it to save face.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 03:36:11 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage &amp; PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2006, 12:42:20 PM »

OK, so Tuesday was my first double stick for my fistula, They have to stick me way done by my wrist so it's pretty sensitive, needless to say I started crying ( I normally do not cry) Anyway my one nurse had the guts to tell me I would never be able to get a tattoo, Granted I don't have any tattoos, but I have to say that a dialysis needle is a whole heck of a lot bigger than a tattoo needle. What do all of you that have tats and do dialysis think? Should I be upset?

You have every right to be.  As I nurse, this makes me cringe  :-[

DeLana   :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2006, 12:48:20 AM »

Hi DeLana,  great to see your back, hope all is well with you  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
downranger

« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2006, 08:26:54 AM »

there's being a few, I've only being on dialysis for 6 mos.,there  is plenty of time!!
well, the most recent one was from a friend who told me to drink a gallon (per day) of this wierd
mexican herb tea. another was about the weight I've lost. A friend told me,
man, I need to get on that dialysis thing so I can loose some weight!! :banghead;

sell everything and save yourself!!!!
sugapea

« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2006, 11:22:38 AM »

Girl at a party I was at last night, "Wow I wish my skin was that pale".  Said this after hearing me discussing my lack of rbc to a friend. I just gave her the "you poor stupid girl" smile and walked away.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2006, 11:46:48 AM »

Girl at a party I was at last night, "Wow I wish my skin was that pale".  Said this after hearing me discussing my lack of rbc to a friend. I just gave her the "you poor stupid girl" smile and walked away.

Sometimes all you can do is just shake your head.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2006, 11:50:28 AM »

Wonder why carrying weapons in public dwelling is illegal these days..... some people are only alive because it is against the law to kill them.  >:D   :)
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2006, 04:46:48 PM »

Girl at a party I was at last night, "Wow I wish my skin was that pale". 

That's when you say, "Really!?  Because I could arrange that for you."   >:D

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
sandman

« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2006, 12:01:40 AM »

Wonder why carrying weapons in public dwelling is illegal these days.....

There are lots of reasons actually but #1, It's against the law.   Only law enforcement officers are allowed to brandish weapons in public.  Simply because the officers are properly trained in the use or their firearms and they are the ones getting paid to up-hold public safety.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2006, 04:19:20 AM »

Wonder why carrying weapons in public dwelling is illegal these days.....

There are lots of reasons actually but #1, It's against the law.   Only law enforcement officers are allowed to brandish weapons in public.  Simply because the officers are properly trained in the use or their firearms and they are the ones getting paid to up-hold public safety.

Sorry I must have forgotten to put up my Sarcasm Flag.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2006, 05:51:05 AM »

Simply because the officers are properly trained in the use or their firearms and they are the ones getting paid to up-hold public safety.

Yeah, tell that to the guys in NYC who were shot just for being black.   :'(

I know, off topic ... but maybe not.    >:D

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »