I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464417 times)
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #1550 on: October 16, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »

Oh Geez! Makes you want to scream.  I love it when the medical profession assumes you are diabetic because you have kidney failure.  I think I had to tell every medical professional that came into my room this last surgery that I am NOT diabetic!  One nurse even said well "most of our kidney failure patients ARE diabetics, too."     I just laugh now.  What else are you going to do?
One nurse's assistant even asked me, when I had asked for a cup of tea, "Can you have tea?" You would think I would know what I can and cannot have especially in the hospital where they watch you all of the time.

Assuming makes an ass out you and me.

EDITED: Fixed quote tag error- kitkatz, Moderator
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:50:02 PM by kitkatz » Logged

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1551 on: October 28, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »

Oh Geez! Makes you want to scream.  I love it when the medical profession assumes you are diabetic because you have kidney failure.  I think I had to tell every medical professional that came into my room this last surgery that I am NOT diabetic!  One nurse even said well "most of our kidney failure patients ARE diabetics, too."     I just laugh now.  What else are you going to do?
One nurse's assistant even asked me, when I had asked for a cup of tea, "Can you have tea?" You would think I would know what I can and cannot have especially in the hospital where they watch you all of the time.

I also love when you tell them something and they say, "Are you sure?" I had this when I was in the ER. They were asking me about dialysis and I told them I do home hemo. They said, "You mean PD." I said, "No, I do home hemo." I pulled up my sleeve and showed them my fistula, then pulled up my shirt and showed them I don't have a tube. The ER dr's response, "Well I didn't think patients were allowed to do that!"  It was all I could do to keep a straight face!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:26:44 PM by CebuShan » Logged

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1552 on: October 28, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »

My youngest son has decided that a product called, I don't know, something with a Q in it can cure my kidney disease. Oh, of course it can my son!!! He sends me all these testimonials which in opinion are hogwash. I am seriously thinking of murdering him.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1553 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »

LOL @ Jean.  Sounds like it would be justifiable homicide!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1554 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »

When I was a kid, 12-13 or so, my great aunt told me that my kidneys failed because I drank too much dark pop in my (then) short life span..

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #1555 on: October 28, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »

Ignorant and creepy thing said today...

After my grandfather had dialysis, he really wanted some kvass.  We know it’s not good for him but at 87, why not?  I ran into three guys loafing outside the shop with whom I’m acquainted.  (One of them studied until he got thrown in the slammer…)  They emphatically called out my nickname so I couldn’t ignore them…

Guy that did time in the clink: How are you feeling?
Me: Not great, I’m starting dialysis.
Guy: The world is not fair, my darling.  I want you to have a kidney.
Me:  Haha, yeah, it would be great if mine worked again.
Guy:  No!  Really!  I want YOU to have a kidney! 
Me: *awkward chuckle* Are you offering to be a donor? 
Guy: Donate?  No!  You know you can buy one! *happy flailing at this point*

For hours today, I keep asking myself if he asked how I felt if he really cared or just looking for business.  Not going to waste anymore time worrying and I guess that's why I was going round to the shops.  I always wondered if I sewed in all those chicken kidneys in a package at the packaged meats, would it work?  Now I know... silly me.   ::)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1556 on: October 29, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »

OMG, if I had a dollar for every time I got told BY A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL that home hemo means PD, I would be rolling in dough. 

But on the good side, once I politely educated the uninformed person that no, I really mean home HEMO and yes, I stick 15 gauge needles in my arm every day (they don't have to know that they are blunts  >:D) I always got mad respect (as the young'uns say).  Most medical professionals I met always seemed to have a needle phobia of some sort.  They were more than happy to stick someone else but they always admitted that they could never stick themselves. 

I also love when you tell them something and they say, "Are you sure?" I had this when I was in the ER. They were asking me about dialysis and I told them I do home hemo. They said, "You mean PD." I said, "No, I do home hemo." I pulled up my sleeve and showed them my fistula, then pulled up my shirt and showed them I don't have a tube. The ER dr's response, "Well I didn't think patients were allowed to do that!"  It was all I could do to keep a straight face!
CalamityEC

« Reply #1557 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

My youngest son has decided that a product called, I don't know, something with a Q in it can cure my kidney disease. Oh, of course it can my son!!! He sends me all these testimonials which in opinion are hogwash. I am seriously thinking of murdering him.

Tell him you appreciate it, but he isn't a doctor (unless he is, in which case there are other problems).  If he ever has kidney disease, though, he's welcome to try it!

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~Frost

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1558 on: October 31, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »

That sounds familiar. I think someone tried to promote that Q product here on the boards once. When that happened I looked at the web page. There was nothing to make me think it would cure anything.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1559 on: November 01, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »

a friend: "I'd like to start a web campaign to see if we can someone to donate a kidney to you".

me: Great.  But, since it's bad manners to ask someone to do something you wouldn't do, why don't you get tested - that way you can either donate or head the campaign off with "I can't but maybe you can".

response: silence
Popsycle24

« Reply #1560 on: November 02, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »

I have had numerous people including a paramedic ask me if my kidney failure is from drinking to much!  Idiots drinking to much causes liver failure not kidney failure! I have to bit my tongue, I then explain its hereditery. Sometimes I just want to scream!

Fsgs/ nephrotic syndrome 2006
Gfr fell in 2013
Siblings testing for transplant donors
Started dialysis 9/29/13
noahvale
« Reply #1561 on: November 03, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:40:06 AM by noahvale » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1562 on: November 04, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »

This story isn't about me, but I thought about this thread as a result of a phone call I've just received.

I got a call from a professional fundraiser representing the Children's Cancer Network or Wish Fund or something or another, and he and I got to talking, and it turns out that his brother is on the wait list for a kidney.  I asked if his brother was on dialysis and if so, what kind of dialysis (just being nosey as usual).  He had no idea, just said, "He goes to the hospital and isn't there some machine that takes out all of his blood and then replaces it?"  Now I understand that family members aren't obliged to know all of the bits and pieces of dialysis, but my goodness, it's his BROTHER, and he can't be arsed to know the basics?  So I go into teacher mode and explained exactly why his brother feels so tired after a treatment and why he has been having some cardiac flutterings and fainting spells.  Maybe now this guy will have a better idea of what his BROTHER is going through.  ::)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1563 on: November 04, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »

What a putz. I bet he thinks if he ignores the problem no one will ask him to donate a kidney. Replaces all of his blood? An interesting theory. I bet he hasn't donated blood either. Sometimes it's a lot easier to deal with the stupid comments from strangers/casual acquaintances.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1564 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

Had an actual, real MD in the hospital tell me "I didn't know that" when I explained why potential transplant candidates such as myself wish to avoid tranfusions.

Had another MD at the same hospital tell me "I didn't know they did that" (referring to home hemo)

Had my vascular surgeon (who did great work) tell me "I don't think home hemo is a good idea, you have professionals at the clinic taking care of things"
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1565 on: November 06, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »

I'm really getting upset by the stupidity of those so called educated professionals while reading that. I walked out of the yearly transplant checkup clinic when he asked if I had ever thought of maybe asking in the family?

Wow really what a great idea! 17 years on D, and I never thought........

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
CalamityEC

« Reply #1566 on: November 06, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »

a friend: "I'd like to start a web campaign to see if we can someone to donate a kidney to you".

me: Great.  But, since it's bad manners to ask someone to do something you wouldn't do, why don't you get tested - that way you can either donate or head the campaign off with "I can't but maybe you can".

response: silence

BAHAHAHAHA

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~Frost

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1567 on: November 12, 2013, 12:06:05 PM »

actual convo-

dr is asking me why i think i am fluid overloaded...
me: because i feel like i am, and the er dr said i have congestive heart failure...
dr: But, do you really?
me: .... *blinks* .... *shrugs* i have no idea.... im not a dr.

whhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????????

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1568 on: November 14, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »

actual convo-

dr is asking me why i think i am fluid overloaded...
me: because i feel like i am, and the er dr said i have congestive heart failure...
dr: But, do you really?
me: .... *blinks* .... *shrugs* i have no idea.... im not a dr.

whhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????????

Makes me wonder sometimes if some of them just printed their licenses off the internet!

Think about it! LOL!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1569 on: November 18, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »

I am planning to do nocturnal. Two friends already asked me if they could sit with me while my treatment goes on. I said, no, the idea is, I do nocturnal so that it can go while I am asleep. I appreciate the sentiment, however, I wish they would listen to me when I say NO!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1570 on: November 18, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »

I am planning to do nocturnal. Two friends already asked me if they could sit with me while my treatment goes on. I said, no, the idea is, I do nocturnal so that it can go while I am asleep. I appreciate the sentiment, however, I wish they would listen to me when I say NO!!!

At least they offered! Most people I know would have thousands of excuses!

Think about it! LOL!
NDXUFan

« Reply #1571 on: November 18, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »

ND:

Yes, and they are making themselves look like an ass, each and every day.  :)

NDXUFan

« Reply #1572 on: November 18, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »

ND:

I cannot tell you how many times when I was in the ER and I told them about Home Nocturnal Dialysis, they looked at me as if I were from Mars.  ER Physican- SO ARROGANT!!!!
NDXUFan

« Reply #1573 on: November 18, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »

OMG, if I had a dollar for every time I got told BY A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL that home hemo means PD, I would be rolling in dough. 

But on the good side, once I politely educated the uninformed person that no, I really mean home HEMO and yes, I stick 15 gauge needles in my arm every day (they don't have to know that they are blunts  >:D) I always got mad respect (as the young'uns say).  Most medical professionals I met always seemed to have a needle phobia of some sort.  They were more than happy to stick someone else but they always admitted that they could never stick themselves. 

ND:

Yes, you and I would have a massive fortune of money.  Yes, this is a profession of "Do as I Say, Not as I Do."
NDXUFan

« Reply #1574 on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »

Had an actual, real MD in the hospital tell me "I didn't know that" when I explained why potential transplant candidates such as myself wish to avoid tranfusions.

Had another MD at the same hospital tell me "I didn't know they did that" (referring to home hemo)

Had my vascular surgeon (who did great work) tell me "I don't think home hemo is a good idea, you have professionals at the clinic taking care of things"

ND:

Yes, they will take care of you with stupid lectures, high fever, and infections.  What a truly great way to live! :Kit n Stik;
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »