I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Freezing at dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Freezing at dialysis  (Read 6799 times)
cambonesegirl

« on: January 07, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »

I don't know if it's just me, it seems like it at my center, but in the middle of dialysis I just get soooo cold to the point I'm shivering. I know that dialysis machines are set at a certain temperature, does anyone know if that's the default temperature for everyone or can it be adjusted?
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »

The heater on the dialysis machine can usually be adjusted, but some centres don't like to change the temperature settings, partly because if the blood gets too hot, you can get hemolysis, which is destruction of the red blood cells. I have been able to use the temperature settings to my advantage in the summer, though. If I am really hot, I just turn the temp on my dialysis machine down a click or two, and I'm comfortable, until I get off dialysis at least.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »

if mine isn't set at 37 to 37.5 i freeze. since i refuse to freeze i have them turn it up. but there is hope out there (somewhere) they make dialysis chairs with heaters!!!!! i tell you no lie. the center i used when in oregon for christmas had heated chairs. perfectly loverly. should be required for all centers. i'm not holding my breath.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 05:46:17 AM »

They go as far as 38 for me.  I also take a heating pad and have them plug it up for me.  That helps alot!  I just changed blankets and started taking a thicker one and now I am content

Hope you find what works for you.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 06:31:50 AM »

Go to a Sports store and purchase skiers hand warmers. They last seven hours warm. I put one on my chest under my blanket and it solved the cold problem.  Sometimes I use two of them if I feel really cold. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »

Would you be allowed to take an electric blanket with you? Being cold is one of my biggest fears about starting dialysis. I'm always cold as it is.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:05:16 AM »

My problem with freezing is my upper lip and nose. I have a nice warm blanket, but the techs have the air conditioner blowing as if it's 100 degrees inside and the vent is directly over my head. Matter of fact the vent's are every 4 feet apart and no matter where you sit, you cannot escape it. If there is such a thing as karma, id love to see what is in store for those people.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »

Would you be allowed to take an electric blanket with you? Being cold is one of my biggest fears about starting dialysis. I'm always cold as it is.
That is a question you would have to ask at your center, they are allowed at the clinic I go to.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 10:52:42 AM »

Patients are deliberately kept cold during dialysis because this elevates their blood pressure and helps avoid the danger of extreme hypotension when a large amount of fluid is withdrawn.  When you are warm, you will notice that your circulation goes to the periphery of your body in an attempt to exchange the excess body heat with the colder surrounding atmosphere, thus lowering your blood pressure.  But when you are cold, your blood concentrates at the center of your body to maintain sufficient warmth in the vital brain and spinal column regions, thus elevating your blood pressure.  If you try by using blankets and heating pads to counteract the deliberate lowering of your body temperature done for medical reasons at dialysis centers, you will increase your chances of a serious hypotensive crisis.  You have to decide where to draw the line between comfort and security.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 10:54:41 AM »

Where do you learn all this stuff!?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »

That is a question you would have to ask at your center, they are allowed at the clinic I go to.

Though I know many people bring in things such as laptops, PSP's and other things and plug them in while hooked up it is technically against Fresenius policy for that to be done.  This is not to say that is isn't done or can't be done, it varies from clinic to clinic.  The only plug in item that I have ever seen strictly forbidden is fans since they create a cross contamination hazard.

It's not easy being green.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »

Oh BS! If it is cold I am going to get warm!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
joezee

Just another day in The Chair.....

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 05:02:37 AM »

If you try by using blankets and heating pads to counteract the deliberate lowering of your body temperature done for medical reasons at dialysis centers, you will increase your chances of a serious hypotensive crisis.  You have to decide where to draw the line between comfort and security.
This is shocking news to me. I've been on in-center dialysis for over two years at two different centers. Just about everyone brings a blanket to stay warm. I've never heard any dialysis nurse or Neph say this is a bad practice and could cause problems. When I first started and used a blanket I still got cold and at one part started shaking and couldn't stop. A nurse made a hot water bottle out of a rubber glove and it helped. If what you say is true why would DaVita give away mittens, hats, and heavy socks and sell vests specifically designed to help keep people warm during dialysis? It's challenging enough to sit in any chair for 3-4 hours without being able to move, but to suggest one might be better off freezing while doing it seems crazy. Blood pressure is closely monitored at all times throughout the treatment. Never have I ever heard a nurse tell a patient to remove a blanket for any reason.

Joe Z
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »