I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:23:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fluid Gains
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fluid Gains  (Read 5800 times)
bolta72

my best friend

« on: December 13, 2007, 05:29:36 AM »

I've been on dialysis in center now for a year and a half and up to now my fluid gains have been excellent, as I have had a great out-put. But now things have caught up to me and all of a sudden hardly any output. What I was wondering was what is your biggest fluid gain in between treatments.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
keefer51

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 05:49:52 AM »

The most i had was 5 kilo's. I put more on in the winter. I don't pee at all but in the summer i can sweat out allot of the fluid. It took several treatments to get back to normal. I wasn't that bad with 5 extra kilos. I mean my breathing was a little short and my belly looked like Santa but other than that i wasn't too bad. Excess fluid can put a strain on your whole body. It may take awhile but you will soon enough figure out what you can handle.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 06:02:31 AM »

Mine was 7 kilos.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:01:05 AM »

I've been in-center for 16 months and I have averaged 3.5-4.0 kilos at every weigh-in...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 02:12:41 PM »

When I was in-centre, I think my biggest gain was 5 kilos. Now that I'm on home hemo, I rarely gain more than 1.5, and I drink a lot and barely pee.
There was a lady in a centre that I went to while traveling before I started NxStage who gained at least 9 kilos and sometimes as much as 15.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »

usually  anywhere  from 1.8-2.8  kg  each  session,living  on  ice  blocks  is  not  my idea  of  fun,when  before hand  i  used  to  drink  2-4 litres  of  water  a  day :banghead;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »

*ding ding ding ding*  I think we have a winner here......with her highest gain in a single session of 15 kilos  (it was New Years and everyone was partyin' and drinkin' and i wasnt going to be left out)  Needless to say they wanted to admit me in the hospital but i refused.  I opted to go to dialysis 2 extra days to try and remove the fluid (which i still believe i am still carrying some of that fluid) :P  that was a gooood year, but oh so baaaaaad   :urcrazy;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

Goofynina, I was counting on you to lead the group here  :rofl; :beer1; :cuddle;...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 04:37:38 PM »

Whats that saying i am thinking of??  Never let a good man down!! Noooooooo, thats not it, lol,  :P  Eh, oh well, you know you can count on me my friend ;) ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 06:18:51 AM »

My biggest was umm 3.8. Oh dear.... I feel like I am letting the side down lol.

15?? I just can't comprehend that much.. there's a guy in my unit who usually puts on 6 or 7... the nurses give him grief all the time. He seems to tolerate taking off 5 at a time (5 is the max they will take off in one session). I'm envious. I go into cramp sometimes if need to take 3 or more off so usually I'm around the 2 each session which suits me fine.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 02:27:11 PM »

Believe it my friend, it wasnt fun and i was the talk of the center (i think i still hold the record) :P 

www.kidneyoogle.com
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »

WoW NiNa!!! LoL Fluids are definitely my hardest thing to keep down i average around 3.5 -4.0 during the week and weekend 5.0 maybe 6.0...But yea its defintely so hard for me to keep that down..And boy do the units tell you some stupid things to do to keep it down like suck on candy or chew gum..lets see hmmmmm nope dont work!! I must say im looking forward to drinking all the Gatorade i want once I get my transplant Ill tell you that!
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

WoW NiNa!!! LoL Fluids are definitely my hardest thing to keep down i average around 3.5 -4.0 during the week and weekend 5.0 maybe 6.0...But yea its defintely so hard for me to keep that down..And boy do the units tell you some stupid things to do to keep it down like suck on candy or chew gum..lets see hmmmmm nope dont work!! I must say im looking forward to drinking all the Gatorade i want once I get my transplant Ill tell you that!

"breaker breaker this is rubber duckie and i have reached my destination, i'm 'bout ready to back this here Gatorade truck in this fella's driveway,"     over      *beep beep beep beep*   :bow;

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:31:32 PM »

:lol;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 12:47:26 AM »

I totally agree fluids are SO HARD to keep down in terms of intake - specially when you don't pass too much (I pass maybe 100ml a day if I'm lucky)... I've pretty much said goodbye to soup, icecream, custard and other goodies in my life. I also try to limit what I take in by knowing the sizes of drinks I take. So I use at home my "small" cup for tea (~250ml) and when I am out I get the small drinks that I know are say ~350ml or so (some places these days actually tell you the container size - eg:starbucks which is good!) and so I keep a running count in my head of where I am at.. and I then check when I get home on my home scales which aren't wonderfully accurate, but give me an idea of what I've gained. Sometimes I sit there dying for a fruit juice or something but really in the end it comes down to willpower... and the thought that if I drink heaps now it could harm my heart/lungs etc so I don't want to do that or give me pain when I cramp on the machine for taking too much fluid off.. and that's one VERY painful reminder that too much fluid is bad m'kay. Usually I manage OK with the willpower.. but sometimes I slip.. specially when there's lots of beer being drunk ... *pout*

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »

Rob put on 9 kilos over the weekend once.  It was this past April, we went away for a long weekend for my birthday.  He was still in center then and he felt like crap on that Monday.  He had to go back for the next 3 days to get it all off.  It taught him a huge lesson though, he will never do that again.

Since starting nxstage he averages about 1 or 1.5 kilos.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Redbomb

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »

usually  anywhere  from 1.8-2.8  kg  each  session,living  on  ice  blocks  is  not  my idea  of  fun,when  before hand  i  used  to  drink  2-4 litres  of  water  a  day :banghead;

I can see that problem heading my direction too since my AM routine (before dialysis) went something like:
1.  Get up - Drink 24-30 oz of diet. Mt. dew or Diet Coke/Pepsi.
2.  Shower, get dressed head out to work.
3)  Stop at McD's/BK/Other_Place get breakfast sammach and a LARGE Diet Drink -- Eand & drink that on the way into work.
4) get to work, fill up my 1L bottle with water  &7AM).
5) 10AM fiee it again.
6> Lunch with at least 3-5 big glasses of Diet Drink.
Afternoon is a repeat of morning.
Come home, eat supper and drink until I go to bed (water, ice tea, diet Pop) .. about 32-64 oz.

Man, am I having to cut back even now!  :(
Redbomb

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 10:18:04 PM »

*ding ding ding ding*  I think we have a winner here......with her highest gain in a single session of 15 kilos  (it was New Years and everyone was partyin' and drinkin' and i wasnt going to be left out)  Needless to say they wanted to admit me in the hospital but i refused.  I opted to go to dialysis 2 extra days to try and remove the fluid (which i still believe i am still carrying some of that fluid) :P  that was a gooood year, but oh so baaaaaad   :urcrazy;

15?  I can try to top that!   :santahat;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 01:02:48 AM »

uh I seriously don't think this is a feat you WANT to attempt... it could be very dangerous to overload with so much fluid.

However redbomb I have to say that's a LOT of drinking - specially of soft drinks - you used to do. That would be so hard to give up I can imagine.

Also remember the dark cola type drinks contain more phosphates.....

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 06:02:18 AM »

I agree with Richard, you DON'T want to attempt to top 15 kilos, not pounds. That's just crazy and stupid to do so on purpose just to try to beat someone.

George Jung

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 06:11:47 AM »

However redbomb I have to say that's a LOT of drinking - specially of soft drinks - you used to do. That would be so hard to give up I can imagine.

So hard to give up but such a good thing to do.  Diet or not those drinks are not healthy choices.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »

Earlier in the year, I was going in with 1.5 kg - 2.5 kg.  All of a sudden, I now average 4kg.  Sometimes, as much as 5.5.  sometimes, I go at 3kg - 3.5.  I still have an output, as someone called it in this thread, but it is only about 250mls per day.
I try (in my mind) not to put on so much fluid, but it is really hard.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Redbomb

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 04:37:46 AM »

*rolls eyes* 

Sheesh, I was kidding! 

Don't you all recognize a joke when you see one? I guess not! Don't you think I'm smart enough to know you wouldn't try to put on that much of a fluid gain just for kicks.  I'm not that STUPID and I'm sort of insulted that you think I am!

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »

:lol; Relax.  8)

meadowlandsnj

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 01:30:53 PM »

I've been on dialysis in center now for a year and a half and up to now my fluid gains have been excellent, as I have had a great out-put. But now things have caught up to me and all of a sudden hardly any output. What I was wondering was what is your biggest fluid gain in between treatments.

I think mine was like 5.5 for the biggest gain.  It's so hard not to drink.........I always was a huge drinker my whole life and sometines this is torture.

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »