I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  How many lists are you listed on and why?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many lists are you listed on and why?  (Read 2897 times)
Gram2Twinz

Perfect Match

« on: December 12, 2007, 11:27:36 PM »

:-\ At a recent IL Kidney Patient Seminar I over heard some guests mention that they were on "3 transplant lists". What does that mean? How do they do that? Why? 
Anyone have any answers for me?

Husband diagnosed w/ 1 working kidney 1975 Mayo Clinic
A/V Fistula March 2004
Placed on transplant list July 2004
In center dialysis began July 2007
Home Hemo NxStage training began Nov. 2007
Rockford, IL Davita-Roxbury Center
1st patient trained for home hemo by this center
Transplant 6-5-08 Loyola@Chicago
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:28:11 PM »

NONE

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 04:59:55 AM »

I'm only on one, but I have considered getting on one or two others. Basically, the more lists you're on, the more kidneys you have access to, since one of the factors UNOS uses in determining who gets the organs that become available is how close the recipient is to the kidney. The "rules" say you can be on one list per Procurement area. Here in the eastern US where the states are small, a procurement area is one state. I believe bigger states like Texas and California have several each (those of you out west, help me out!). For instance, I'm in Georgia, and if I wanted to go through each team's testing to get on the list, I could get listed in Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee. About the only things to limit you would be 1) Can you get to the team's hospital in the amount of time given when you get the call? That time can be from 3-10 hours. 2) Will your insurance pay for you to get tested by each team? I can't answer how difficult this would be because I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »

Mutiple listing:
If you have been listed at a transplant center, you may be eligible to be listed at other transplant centers that are outside your "home" transplant center's organ procurement area. With the transplant waiting times increasing, many people are going to a second or even third transplant center to be multiple-center listed. The possible advantage to this is each program has different waiting times. Waiting times also vary from person to person, such as genetics and antibody levels.

Multiple center listing does not affect your waiting time at your current transplant center. You continue to accrue time at your "home" center, whereas you begin to accumulate time from the date they list you at the other center(s).

In order to be listed at another center, you will need to have an evaluation appointment and meet their transplant team. Each transplant program has its own evaluation process and you may be required to have repeat or additional testing done in order to complete your evaluation.

Jenna was listed at 3 centers. We ended up switching her primary wait time to the hospital 2 hours away, and she ultimately had her surgery there, however, it was a living donor, so we don't know how long it would have taken otherwise. However, she got the call as a back up twice within a month of listing at the other hospital, whereas she never got any calls from the Los Angeles transplant team.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »

I am listed at a hospital here in Milwaukee and am looking into also getting listed in Madison which is 2 hours away. Most second listings will accecpt all testing done by the first listing...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »

Three. Two in my state.  My first centers average wait is 6 years. The center 3 hours away is 2 years. They share all my tests, etc.  I had to make a couple trips to meet with the transplant team, but it was  very easy to get listed at another center once you are on the "list".

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 12:12:20 PM »

I was told by my insurance that multi-listing is a good idea.  I will probably list in San Antonio and Dallas, but I need to talk to my neph first.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 02:23:26 PM »

I did it all on my own. Contacted the transplant center, told them where I was listed and who my local neph was. They called him  and the other transplant center to have them fax my records (no cost to me).  Easy as pie------the ONLY easy thing in the transplant process!   Good luck!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:27:46 PM »

I did it all on my own. Contacted the transplant center, told them where I was listed and who my local neph was. They called him  and the other transplant center to have them fax my records (no cost to me).  Easy as pie------the ONLY easy thing in the transplant process!   Good luck!

Same here. I got online, looked at the stats for transplant centers nearby, contacted them directly, it was pretty easy.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »

I was told that I could possible "save a year" just by listing in Dallas.  ????  I may have to try that!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
oswald

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »

being double listed or triple listed or more offers more chances of getting a kidney.  its like playing the lottery, the more tickets, the more chances of winning.  i was double listed and could've been on 15 more lists as long as i was 2 hours travel time from the hospital.  it all depends on where you live.

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »