I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:51:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Graft Problems
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Graft Problems  (Read 3921 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: December 02, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »

I should have posted concerning this a long time ago.  It was only today that I said to myself that one of the strong advantages of this site is that as people share it can help us when we come to face the same situation. So forgive my not telling you of this before. [I did share it with the admins and mods]
About three or so weeks, the area between where I am usually needled (arterial and venous) became hard, painful and warm.  The doctor filling in for our nephrologist put me on a course of oral antibiotics which I took faithfully (very proud of myself).  Nothing happened, except that it became less painful, but was still hard and warm.
He sent me to have a doppler done, and it showed that the blood was flowing properly through the graft.
Now last week, I see a little pimple-like thing on the same area.  I showed the nurses.  Every day it got a little bigger and soon you could see that it had inflammation in it and it was a bit painful.  They put iodine and a sure-seal on it.  Another set of antibiotics.  Again I was compliant, but nothing changed.
When I went to dialysis on Friday, they called in a doctor to look at it.  She put me on intravenous antibiotics and gave me a prescription for antibiotic cream.  On Friday night, i was on my way to Independence celebrations by the Barbadian society here.  Just as I left the apartment, it burst.  Thankfully the hospital is near to the hotel to which I was going.  I stopped in at  Emergency and a doctor fixed it and bandaged it for me.
I went to  the unit on Saturday morning.  It was only then that a nurse told me that another patient also had that problem.  I now have to have a bandage on all the time.
Thankfully, it seems to be outside of the tube, but i am wondering why it should happen at all.
Has anyone had anything like this occur with a graft?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »

Hi bajanne2000,

Sorry your having graph problems. Do you happen to know what type material your graft is made out of. My husband has one of the newer, self sealing types. The vascular surgeon told me that some of the older graphs will get air pockets between skin and graft itself and blood can pool there and keep leaking from sticks until it does erupt. I sure hope that can get it fixed for you. Take care and please keep us posted.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:12:27 PM »

Thanks so much. That was a real eye-opener.  The professionals didn't explain anything whatsoever to me!  That is why I thank God for IHD!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:37:55 AM »

Hi,

Just wanted to say I hope all is well with
your graft, and so sorry you had this problem.
Please let us know how everything is going,
access problems are so troubling.

Anne
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »

Hello my dear friend Aurora ;)  Just wanted to let you know i am thinking of you and i am hoping that things are going good for you in your part of the world.  I love ya friend  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angellady07

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »

Bajanne, how are you? Are your graft issues being resolved? Please keep us posted.  :cuddle;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 08:37:03 AM »

I had never heard of that before bajanne. Hopefully the worst is over and it's healing.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 06:26:09 PM »

Well I am getting daily bandages.  They clean the area and then bandage it.  I think it is getting better (at least, I really hope)

angellady07

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 06:30:58 PM »

Bajanne, I'm glad to hear it's getting better.  :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »

Bananajane,  I'm glad you are okay.  I just have to ask this....what would have happened if this would have happened in your sleep?  Was it fluid or blood?

Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »

It was slightly bloody, no real blood and since that first time, whenever they change the bandage it is just pus.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »

It was slightly bloody, no real blood and since that first time, whenever they change the bandage it is just pus.

Have they done a culture to determine what the infective agent is?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:53:24 PM »

Nope, but I will certainly ask about it today.  Thanks! Knowledge is Power!

cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 04:10:14 PM »

My Dear Bajanne,
how are you with your graft problem? I pray it's gone or is not giving you much trouble. When goofynina adrressed you as Aurora, it gives me back the feeling of hearing the late Epoman during his interview, when he mentioned your name "Aurora". Back then, I sensed right away that you are something special to Epoman. Everyone loves you. :grouphug;

cris

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 09:51:26 PM »

My Dear Bajanne,
how are you with your graft problem? I pray it's gone or is not giving you much trouble. When goofynina adrressed you as Aurora, it gives me back the feeling of hearing the late Epoman during his interview, when he mentioned your name "Aurora". Back then, I sensed right away that you are something special to Epoman. Everyone loves you. :grouphug;

cris
Awwwwwwwww...  that touched me so much, here at 1:40 a.m. with the only light that of the monitor in my face and the rain beating outside.  Thank you.

Update:
Well the pustule kept breaking open and then it would close back up and grow a little.  We get periodic visits from a vascular surgeon.  He is a native of this country but works in Washington DC.  He comes home every now and then to help in this area.  When I was finishing dialysis on Wednesday, a nurse told me I had an appointment with him Thursday morning at 8.
When I reached there was another patient from  my shift to see him as well.  He had said he would operate on him.  Here is what happened.  He told the other person that he had been thinking it over and would not bother with operating.  Then he turned to me and said he felt he needed to operate on my graft.  He would do a 'revision and excision' - re-routing my graft and cutting away the problem area.  I asked him about the new kind of graft material and he was impressed that I knew about it.  He said he has used it, but could not use it here because of some other 'tunnelling' that had to go with it.  Don't know if this is a machine or instrument or what.  But he told the nurses there 'This is great.  We have an informed patient'.  I told him about IHD and he was really impressed and said he must check it out. 
The operation went well.  For me, that means I was sedated all through and knew nothing of what was going on.
I spent the whole day at the hospital and then went home.  He told the nurses that they can only use a small section - the venous section - for both needles, for two weeks.  I was given a prescription for pain, but the pain is not great at all, just a dull pain, so I am bearing it.  I just have to keep my arm elevated and not hold it down too much.
Thanks for all your caring thoughts.
[not only my graft was down, but so was my computer for the last two days.  Refused to boot.  Would only beep, and do nothing.  But I am rolling again]

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 12:37:48 AM »

Hope that fixes your problem Bajanne, lets hope the pain stays dull.Take Care :cuddle;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 01:24:48 AM »

I'm hoping this operation is a success too  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 06:23:11 AM »

Best Wishes and prayers, that you
mend quickly and with no pain.

Anne
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »

Love and best wishes Bajanne :grouphug;

Ken
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 08:46:17 AM »

Oh Bajanne! I am so happy you were able to get it fixed, and recovery is going well for you!!  That is so cool that the surgeon was impressed with your knowledge! I like that! 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 10:01:58 AM »

:thumbup; Glad to hear you're not too uncomfortable. I guess your computer decided you needed a break!
Yes you are very knowlegable - nice that the doctor actually heard you!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »

So glad you are back in action my friend, hopefully either problem wont re-occur (arm or pc) ;)   I love ya girlfriend  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 08:57:06 PM »

Thanks for all your caring thoughts.  The surgeon made me laugh when I was on the operating table.  As they were setting up, he asked me to turn  my face away.  He said "I don't want you spying on what I am doing and then you go and set up shop and tell people not to worry with Stevens (his name)!"  He is such a pleasant person.
I am doing well.  The only problem was that at dialysis they have a very small area on my arm to work with and they had to needle a totally fresh area.  That is always PAINFUL!!  But it doesn't last long, and my session went quite good.  I am all bandaged up and my arm between my shoulder and elbow is quite swollen, but there isn't much pain, thank God.

This seems to be a bit of testing time for the IHD family, but we will get through it all!!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:03:07 AM by bajanne2000 » Logged

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 07:05:29 AM »

The inconvenience and the pain stink, but, oh, how wonderful it is to have a surgeon with a sense of humor and an appreciation for an educated and informed patient.  :2thumbsup;  Glad you're getting better.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »

Hurray for Bajanne!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »