I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Help!!! I have pain in my shoulder....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help!!! I have pain in my shoulder....  (Read 23895 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« on: June 02, 2006, 08:50:24 PM »

Hello beautiful people....
It's just me, Goofynina,  I   i have been suffering with a pain in my shoulder (due to air bubbles, so they say)  and it is hurting like HELL,  i cant lay down, sit up, laugh, cough, breathe or even fart without it sending excruciating pain waves throughout my shoulder.  OUCH,,,,  Does somebody, anybody know a remedy or even a voodoo ritual i can do to get rid of it,  PLEASE, I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE,   lol,  i will be forever greatful (and so will my poor hubby) lol,   Love ya all........

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Gus

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:43:30 PM »

Hello beautiful people....
It's just me, Goofynina,  I   i have been suffering with a pain in my shoulder (due to air bubbles, so they say)  and it is hurting like HELL,  i cant lay down, sit up, laugh, cough, breathe or even fart without it sending excruciating pain waves throughout my shoulder.  OUCH,,,,  Does somebody, anybody know a remedy or even a voodoo ritual i can do to get rid of it,  PLEASE, I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE,   lol,  i will be forever greatful (and so will my poor hubby) lol,   Love ya all........

I don't know about bubbles, but shoulder pain after sometime on dialysis is common.......I have it all the time.....the more years you dialyze the pain just gets worser.

However, people who are on Nocturnal and daily short dialysis experience less pain than those who do 3x a week........if you want to know what this pain comes from or whats it called......."Amyloids"....it's a buildup of a protein that dialysis can't take out well......especially 3x a week dialysis. That's why they recommend longer treatment times like Nocturnal........it's a slow killer which later in the years damages nerves(my hand nerves are messhed up)......read more about it here..
http://www.homedialysis.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=886&highlight=amyloidosis
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »

Hey Gus,  thanks for your reply,  i think i felt better knowing it was air bubbles, lol,  i believe  they call it "referred pain" or something like that,  Common for those on PD, thats what i've read.  While on Hemo i never experienced such a pain UNTIL, i started this PD,  so i am hoping that it is in fact air bubbles, lol,   just want them to go away or pop or something, 

www.kidneyoogle.com
Gus

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:02:02 PM »

Hey Gus,  thanks for your reply,  i think i felt better knowing it was air bubbles, lol,  i believe  they call it "referred pain" or something like that,  Common for those on PD, thats what i've read.  While on Hemo i never experienced such a pain UNTIL, i started this PD,  so i am hoping that it is in fact air bubbles, lol,   just want them to go away or pop or something, 

Oh okay, I found a discussion about that here.....
http://www.homedialysis.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=637&highlight=shoulder+pain
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 09:16:06 AM »

Thank you so much for posting that info Gus,  i talked to my PD nurse and she said just to take some vicodin,  ohhhh great,  that will just relieve the pain, not take it away,  oh well pill poppin' time lol,  again,  i thank you so much for doing that,  i have read your posts here and you sound so very cool and very concerned and sincere person,  KEEP ON POSTIN' BUDDY,   

www.kidneyoogle.com
Gus

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 10:19:40 AM »

Thank you so much for posting that info Gus,  i talked to my PD nurse and she said just to take some vicodin,  ohhhh great,  that will just relieve the pain, not take it away,  oh well pill poppin' time lol,  again,  i thank you so much for doing that,  i have read your posts here and you sound so very cool and very concerned and sincere person,  KEEP ON POSTIN' BUDDY,   

Hey, your welcomed......its all about helping out each other... :)  ... all about education and gaining knowledge...here's what I drive.......... :P

Hope you get well soon!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 11:12:48 AM »

Hi Gus,

Maybe you could modify your post and put the car in "Off Topic."  Too COOL for others not to see.  Thanks~

Rerun~ Moderator

Gus

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 11:31:44 AM »

Hi Gus,

Maybe you could modify your post and put the car in "Off Topic."  Too COOL for others not to see.  Thanks~

Rerun~ Moderator

i have read your posts here and you sound so very cool and very concerned and sincere person,  KEEP ON POSTIN' BUDDY

Here comes the cool school bus........  8)   
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 11:53:12 AM »

Hey, your welcomed......its all about helping out each other... :)  ... all about education and gaining knowledge...here's what I drive.......... :P

Hope you get well soon!

Gus, remember in that other thread I asked that ALL pictures be "attached" not linked, I hate links. If you attach it no one EVER will ever get a "red" X instead of a picture when/if the referring link dies.  :)

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 12:56:46 PM »

Hi googynina,

I have had 5 pd tubes in 3 of them I had the pain in the shoulder. In the UK the Consultants explained the pain as. there is a nerve which runs from your peritoneal to the shoulder.  Sometimes the extra pressure of the fluid you have drained in can press on the nerve. Also when you are fully drained out the nerve come get caught on the peritoneal wall. I know it is very painfull. The pain does usually goes away after a few weeks on PD.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 03:04:03 PM »

Hey All,  Well,  i did find a really good solution to my problem,  thanks to Mama,  she said to rub Vicks (quit laughing you George Lopez fans) lol,  or Mentholatum on it,   Hubby massaged me with Vicks and it is almost gone,  even if its not gone gone, i know what will relieve the pain,  so just wanted to let you all know what worked for me, just in case you run into someone with the similar problem you can suggest that.   Well, i am off to go buy stocks in Vicks, lol,    byeeee

www.kidneyoogle.com
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 04:31:17 AM »

"Air pain" is common on PD. And I know it hurts like hell!! It will go away after a few days. If its really that bad you could get some sort of pain relief. I got it extremely bad a few days after I had the catheter inserted. Had to be re-admitted for pain relief and some dynamite up the rear lol I was the same, couldn't lay down, sit, talk, breathe etc.
Make sure you always "prime" the lines before running a bag in (I assume you are on PD), and flick any air out. Once I forgot, and ran a whole line of air in. Was in pain for a few days after that!
kevno

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 04:39:32 AM »

I was on CAPD for 12 years air pain is very painful, but I only ever got that sort of pain around the peritoneal area. I got the pain in the shoulder when I had my tubes put in. It would come on and off for a few months then go away.

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »

Hi Amber and Kevno,   Well, the pain in my shoulder does seem to be going away, Thank God,  and now that i have found a routine with the cycler, i am starting to feel a little better during the days,  BUT,  when i go to hook up and my first initial fill begins,  the pain is so horrific,  i cant move,  its not in my chest but in my lower stomach.  It lasts for about 30 minutes then i can slowly move.  have either of you experienced anything like this?  Or has anyone?  I am very pleased with the cycler opposed to doing it manually.  Hopefully it will work for me.   Hope to hear from you soon,   

Gooooooofynina

www.kidneyoogle.com
kevno

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 09:56:03 AM »

I have had that sort of pain, but only when fully drained out. It can be caused by the tube catching the wall of the peritoneal. With it being the first fill, not to sure. It could be a number of reasons. Fluid to hot or to cold. When you are draining in for the first time. It could be the shock of the fluid going through the tube onto the wall of the peritoneal. That one is the most likely one, if it only happens on the first fill.

Kevno

Panda_9

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »

goofinya, do you have fluid in during the day, or are you empty? If you are empty, then it could be what kevno said. I used to get it badly when I started on hemo and still had the catheter in. Something you can do to help it is instead of being completely empty, you just run in a little bit, to allow the tube to float, so its not poking around.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »