I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  High Blood Pressure and High Venous Pressures
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Blood Pressure and High Venous Pressures  (Read 29037 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2006, 12:00:19 AM »

haha Gus I like how somewhere in your posts, you always put it a little "plug" for homedialysis, and a "knock" against normal 3x a week.  ;D
But yeah I agree with you, the higher dialysate flow basically uses more dialysate, and therefore cleans your blood faster. But I don't know what you are talking about when you say if the dialysate isn't fast enough, then the balance between the electrolytes and the blood won't match.
-From what I understand, its just a fancy form of osmosis. So theres two fluids (blood / dialysate) and a membrane in the middle. The dialysate is packed full of stuff you want to keep in your blood (so the gradient is in equilibrium) and therefore that stuff doesn't cross the membrane. But the dialysate doesn't have any of the stuff you are trying to take out, like Urea, Potassium, Phosphates...etc. So therefore those things travel down their concentration gradient, from your blood, through the membrane (by osmosis) and into the dialysate. So if the dialysate is flowing slowly, then it will take longer to clean out all of the blood, because as the "dirty blood" gets to the dialysate, if the "dirty dialysate" hasn't moved on to make room for the fresh dialysate, than the blood will continue on without getting cleaned, until it makes the cycle again. Therefore, faster dialysate, faster clean. The concentration of the stuff you want to keep isn't changing, so it wouldn't matter if the dialysate was flowing fast or slow, as long as it was in contact with the blood (but separated by a selectively permeable membrane).

does that make sense?

Well I'm glad someone else mentioned it here on the board instead of PM'ing me (again). It really does get old after awhile and to be honest it always makes me feel like shit. We get it, daily is better than 3X but there are ALOT of people on 3X in-center and they have NO choice. No doubt NxStage is a remarkable machine but when I start it, I won't be constantly reminding people much better I am doing than in-center people doing dialysis 5-6 times a week. I actually have had members PM me and tell me that you come off like an elitist. But honestly Gus, some people myself included get upset when you plug dialy-hemo constantly, we get it already we are all not as lucky as the elite people at the homedialysis site. It makes me feel like I have been cheated all these years and I am doomed. I hope you understand what I am saying and do not get offended. But I personally am getting tired of hearing how much faster 3x'ers are going to die. It's actually insensitive of you. Yeah this is a place to get the truth but lets have some tact. Try to remember that a VERY, VERY small percentage of people can do home/daily due to MANY, MANY factors.

- Epoman

This thread is about "Home Dialysis" right? So we stick to the subject and the facts........right now, we the community are pushing hard to pass legislation so that in-center patients on a wide basis can have that option, but clearly clearly I say that what I am speaking here is what patients wanting to go home and who can go home get the information straight-hand.

Do you really care about people's lives? Did you already email your congressman to get these bills passed? it a very important issue here and all over the net people want to know the answers about living a long life on dialysis.

Some of you may be unfortunate, you can make choices. You can fight for a better life. Can you? If you really care please visit this page and email your congressman today...... its about peoples lives.....

http://capwiz.com/meiresearch/home/

You know what I can't believe? I can't believe you have the audacity to ask me if I care about people. I have spent HUNDREDS of hours working on this site, to give people a voice. Let me ask you this what other site do you know related to dialysis has over 5,300+ posts in about 10 short months (did I mention we have MORE posts than Davita's Forum), but that is not the point. I think you missed my point entirely MANY people on dialysis are ALONE and need to be train with a partner. Just because you do it doesn't mean others feel confident enough to do it on their own, plus some can NEVER imagine sticking their own needles, many do not have a fistula, some have other health problems that prohibit NxStage for example, being obese.

As for your  email your congressman bullshit, no I haven't and will not. I do my part here on this website. I have enough things on my plate to go kissing some congressman's ass to help us poor unfortunate souls. I really do take offence to your comment "Some of you may be unfortunate" OK we get it but why do you have to rub our nose in it? You are in a 1% sector of patients who do daily-dialysis, does that make you better? Bottom line is stop knocking us people on in-center.

I do care but I don't sit on my high horse and talk down to the "others". Passing laws won't help the people who have the obstacles I mentioned above. So what about the people who CAN'T go home, do they really need to hear what a  great thing they are missing out on?

Oh and don't EVER ask me if I care again.

- Epoman
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:04:43 AM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2006, 01:07:07 AM »

Your really confusing me Gus  :-\ Dont think ill add anymore as I dont know what to say.
I kinda agree with you Epoman, although I do like to plug nocturnal, youve made me realise that I might be offending some people on here. It didnt even occur to me until you mentioned it! Although I am very lucky in being able to do nocturnal, our unit cant offer us short daily either. I did a bit of reading yesterday on the geelong nocturnal website (they started nocturnal over here I think), and they actually favour short daily too. But because of the lack of funding, we cant afford to do it. So I do empathise with those who are unable to do it. I will try to keep my trap shut, Ive already been sort of told to shoosh because our unit has a big waiting list for even just 5hr dialysis.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2006, 07:18:06 AM »

I've done home and I've done in center.  I'm doing in center for a reason.  I don't have to set up and I don't have to tear down and I don't have to do monthly maintenance and I don't have to STORE SUPPLIES.  This site is for people who HATE dialysis!  Not for those who crave more so they can feel a "tad" bit better. 

If EPOMAN didn't care about people, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Gus

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2006, 07:18:25 AM »

aMbEr_79@ Don't be confused......there hasn't been funding since back in the early 80s.....government  hasn't funded any more since then.......but right now there's a large community of Pro-active people like myself who are pushing to change just that......

There's no time for whining about your life.....take action to help people who suffer just like you by contacting your congressman to get some very important bills passed. If we as patients don't stand up we will never accomplish anything.......we really need more funding for patients to have a better dialysis and more options......

EPOMAN@ Your a very high tempered person, you have alot of anger and that's not good. As admin of your site it looks ugly how you try to create flame wars on your own members opinions. What are you gonna do? Ban me? Censor me? Prevent me from giving out the real information and facts about helping people understand more about home dialysis options? I thought your a pro-active person, but maybe I was mistaken. Why bother to have this home dialysis thread? Seems you misunderstand the whole idea here......

This will be my last post here..........I think its not gonna workout.......... anyhow, for anyone who is serious you know where to find me........ ;)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2006, 08:19:35 AM »

aMbEr_79@ Don't be confused......there hasn't been funding since back in the early 80s.....government  hasn't funded any more since then.......but right now there's a large community of Pro-active people like myself who are pushing to change just that......

There's no time for whining about your life.....take action to help people who suffer just like you by contacting your congressman to get some very important bills passed. If we as patients don't stand up we will never accomplish anything.......we really need more funding for patients to have a better dialysis and more options......

EPOMAN@ Your a very high tempered person, you have alot of anger and that's not good. As admin of your site it looks ugly how you try to create flame wars on your own members opinions. What are you gonna do? Ban me? Censor me? Prevent me from giving out the real information and facts about helping people understand more about home dialysis options? I thought your a pro-active person, but maybe I was mistaken. Why bother to have this home dialysis thread? Seems you misunderstand the whole idea here......

This will be my last post here..........I think its not gonna workout.......... anyhow, for anyone who is serious you know where to find me........ ;)

::) You just don't get it do you, a lot of people are serious but there is no way they could ever do home dialysis, not because of funding but because of the personal reasons I pointed out above. And by you being the POSTER boy for NxStage, you make in-center people feel short changed with your constant, constant downing of 3X a week patients.

BYE!

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2006, 10:03:11 AM »

Me, for instance!   Home dialysis is not even an option.  It just doesn't exist here.
I cannot see how ANYONE could try to even insinuate that Epoman doesn't care.
I have no congressman to contact.  This is an international site.  The purpose of this site is to give people a voice, a place to exchange, to support each other, to help each other, to rant, to vent, to cuss.
Has Epoman AT ANY POINT tried to stop members from getting information and facts???
We WANT information and facts, we just don't want anyone making us feel that what we have is poor crap (we know that already).

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
hyperlite

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2006, 02:46:49 PM »

Hey Gus, I hope you get this message before you decide to stop posting here for good. You are a valued member. Your posts are informative, and you've got loads of experience with things like home hemo. BUT you do have to stop slamming 3x4. Yeah it might not be as good as home hemo, but for some people it works just fine. Like for me, it would be impossible to do home hemo. I'm at school, theres no room in my sh*t box hole of a house. Plus its ridiculously unsanitary, and I wouldn't have anyone to help me out...plus I'm hoping to get a transplant within the next year so theres not much point in getting trained and getting my house set up for it. My labs are fine, within all of the required ranges.

I think you're right in promoting home hemo, but don't slam 3x4. I would promote buying a Ferrari if I could get one, but I wouldn't go slamming Hondas...I think a healthy diet, regular exercises and restricting fluids (as well as getting some sleep) are very important to dialysis, and these things can really help to control the "side effects" of dialysis.

But I really hope you change your mind about leaving this site. You're knowledge is greatly appreciated! (and a word to the wise, if you do come back, don't slam Epoman. He puts way too much time effort and $$$ into this site to be disrespected...) but please, DON'T leave us!! ;D
Panda_9

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2006, 07:16:08 PM »

I hope thats not directed at me Rerun. I dont crave more, I hate doing more, and it makes me feel more than a "tad" bit better.

What government are you talking about Gus? I would say our govt would of had to of put the funding up over the last 20+ years seen as there are alot more people on dialysis. Also one of our major hospitals was completely rebuilt, dont think jo blow would of paid for it.
Panda_9

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2006, 07:16:31 PM »

I hope thats not directed at me Rerun. I dont crave more, I hate doing more, and it makes me feel more than a "tad" bit better otherwise I wouldnt be doing it.

What government are you talking about Gus? I would say our govt would of had to of put the funding up over the last 20+ years seen as there are alot more people on dialysis. Also one of our major hospitals was completely rebuilt, dont think jo blow would of paid for it.
kevno

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2006, 10:30:07 AM »

I used to feel a lot better on CAPD than Haemo. All my lab results were a lot better on CAPD I had more energy. was on CAPD for 12 years.  BUT, at the end CAPD nearly killed me ended up with EPS. Went on Hamo 2000. I have no choice but to do hospital based haemo, my veins are shot at. All I can use just now are lines in my neck. All my results are now sh#t URRs are at 60% can not get pump speeds over 250 most of the time the speed is 230. Had first shunt in 1977 a Venus loop. Which messed all the veins up in my left arm. Had second now called fistula in 1980 it stopped 2001 when I got ESP. Revamped 2002 a scar from my wrist to the top of my arm 44 staples in. I have only got a two inch bit where it can be needled. Had all the test to see if a better excess site can be made. My leg can not be touched. There are no more veins they can use. Not even graphs. So I can NEVER go back on home CAPD/Haemo.

Kevno
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 10:33:54 AM by kevno » Logged

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »