I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:03:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  How many of you here are on home Hemodialysis?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many of you here are on home Hemodialysis?  (Read 16581 times)
Gus

« on: May 29, 2006, 09:21:46 PM »

Was just wondering how many of you on this board do home hemodialysis or have done it before? How about those of you thinking about it?
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »

Hi Gus,  I am in my first week of PD and i am experiencing some complications,  when i first was told of PD, i could not wait to do it, now i am not too sure if i made the right decision,  but i tell ya what, so far, it beats the heck out of going and getting poked with them damn needles, thats for darn sure..  Some dont have any complications but of course, i am always the exception, lol,  and thats cool, just have to check out what they have for plans B, C, D and E lol,  NEVER GONNA GIVE UP, 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Gus

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:49:33 PM »

Hi Gus,  I am in my first week of PD and i am experiencing some complications,  when i first was told of PD, i could not wait to do it, now i am not too sure if i made the right decision,  but i tell ya what, so far, it beats the heck out of going and getting poked with them damn needles, thats for darn sure..  Some dont have any complications but of course, i am always the exception, lol,  and thats cool, just have to check out what they have for plans B, C, D and E lol,  NEVER GONNA GIVE UP, 

Hi goofynina,

Has your clinic talked to you about other dialysis options? For example, hemodialysis at home and buttonhole technique? Anyway, PD is cool once you get used to it and that takes sometime, but if you encounter later that its not working well for you.... then you have other options like doing hemodialysis using buttonhole technique(painless needle sticking) What about a fistula, do you have one?

I never did PD before, though I wanted it and asked numerous times to give it to me my Doc denied my request, for the reason I have been diagnosed with PBS(Prune Belly Syndrome)....not enough muscles on the abdomen.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 10:07:08 PM »

Actually, with the complications i am having now, my PD staff is working on what is going to be best for me,  they keep saying something about a cycler, which, thanks to this awesome website, i am more familiar with and i can go in with a little more knowledge about it,  i am just not to fond of the idea of being hooked up for 9 hours, but we shall see what they come up with for me,    probably a sawed off shot gun to put me out of my misery, lol,   I will keep you posted..

www.kidneyoogle.com
Gus

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 10:11:24 PM »

Actually, with the complications i am having now, my PD staff is working on what is going to be best for me,  they keep saying something about a cycler, which, thanks to this awesome website, i am more familiar with and i can go in with a little more knowledge about it,  i am just not to fond of the idea of being hooked up for 9 hours, but we shall see what they come up with for me,    probably a sawed off shot gun to put me out of my misery, lol,   I will keep you posted..

Whatever they find out what's best luck to you. Just remember that there's nowhere else like home.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:16:18 PM »

BREAKER BREAKER, THAT'S A GREAT BIG AAAAAMEN............  I am reading you loud and clear good buddy......(over)  lol   (sorry, my brother used to be a truck driver)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Gus

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 10:23:56 PM »

BREAKER BREAKER, THAT'S A GREAT BIG AAAAAMEN............  I am reading you loud and clear good buddy......(over)  lol   (sorry, my brother used to be a truck driver)

:D
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 07:23:41 PM »

As I've said before, I've done the home hemo and it was not for me.  My home turned into a hospital.  Now, I have a friend who has been doing home hemo for 18 years and she does fine, but her husband built her a room for just dialysis.  When she is done, she closes the door and walks away until the next time.

Gus

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 08:56:04 PM »

As I've said before, I've done the home hemo and it was not for me.  My home turned into a hospital.  Now, I have a friend who has been doing home hemo for 18 years and she does fine, but her husband built her a room for just dialysis.  When she is done, she closes the door and walks away until the next time.

Which machine did you use? What made you change your mind? Was it space? Maintenance? Or the whole ordeal?...currently, I have a bedroom just reserved for that......its a 10x10x10 ...... for the Nxstage nothing else was needed but only the closet to store some supplies. In the next month or so NxStage is sending out an addon module that produces dialysate in your own home....
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:13:39 PM by Gus » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:43:28 PM »

It was called "Drake Willock" (SP).  It was the size of a refregerator!  50 gallon drums of dialisate in the basement, saline bags in the closet, the machine in the kitchen with the R/O unit and the dialysis "recliner" in the livingroom.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm sure it is better now.  Gosh that was 20 years ago.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:50:58 PM »

Rerun, you are showing your age!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Gus

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:14:14 PM »

It was called "Drake Willock" (SP).  It was the size of a refregerator!  50 gallon drums of dialisate in the basement, saline bags in the closet, the machine in the kitchen with the R/O unit and the dialysis "recliner" in the livingroom.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm sure it is better now.  Gosh that was 20 years ago.

Drake Willock 20 years ago?  ??? ......its a very very old machine...from mid 1960s
http://www.homedialysis.org/v1/equipment/images/museum/lg_drake-willock7.jpg
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 06:24:53 AM »

Mine looked a little different than that, but you get the main idea.   :D

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 07:52:55 AM »

Hi Gus,
WELCOME!  :) I have read your post from another site and was happy to see you here. My husband, Len is on home hemodialysis. We started in April of 03. We use the Fresenius 2008H and have the RO in a closet, our daughters old bedroom has become our clinic. We have spoke to NxStage and have been offered the chance to switch, only problem is the clinic that has it is about 100 miles away. They say since we already do home hemo that our training wouldn't take as long. I just worry about labs and monthly clinic, driving to and from Washington, DC takes it toll on me.

We do want to go and see the NxStage machine because it would give us the opportunity to travel and I like the idea that it doesn't take long to setup and no bicarb or acid. Sounds too good to be true.

I really have some questions for you since you have been using NxStage for a while now. What kind of access do you have? How often do you dialyze? Have you had maintenance problems with the NxStage? How often do you have labs drawn? How often do you go to clinic? What kidney do you use on NxStage? How often do you get supplies, and is there special storage requirements? I have many more and really hope you could answer. Thanks in advance.

WillieandWinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Gus

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »

Hi Gus,
WELCOME!  :) I have read your post from another site and was happy to see you here. My husband, Len is on home hemodialysis. We started in April of 03. We use the Fresenius 2008H and have the RO in a closet, our daughters old bedroom has become our clinic. We have spoke to NxStage and have been offered the chance to switch, only problem is the clinic that has it is about 100 miles away. They say since we already do home hemo that our training wouldn't take as long. I just worry about labs and monthly clinic, driving to and from Washington, DC takes it toll on me.

That's very nice that you can switch, and the 100miles is not too bad really but perhaps you can have the blood drawn locally? Will you have to switch Doctors as well? If not, maybe you can have the blood drawn locally? training on NxStage took me 17 days so really doesn't take long. Btw, do you currently do daily-short dialysis with the 2008H?

We do want to go and see the NxStage machine because it would give us the opportunity to travel and I like the idea that it doesn't take long to setup and no bicarb or acid. Sounds too good to be true.

Oh yes, setup time is very short, 18 minutes for me........and now with the addon module coming soon it will not need so much storage space for dialysate....dialysate will be created in your own home!

I really have some questions for you since you have been using NxStage for a while now. What kind of access do you have?

I have a short fistula on my right arm, was placed in 1984........for needling, currently using buttonhole method

How often do you dialyze?

6x a week for 2.5 -2.7 hours

Have you had maintenance problems with the NxStage?

On my first year at home once only. All I did is report to NxStage and they send me a replacement in less than 24 hours......

How often do you have labs drawn?

Once a month

How often do you go to clinic?

Once a month

What kidney do you use on NxStage?

NxStage brand, Its a cartridge will all lines and kidney embedded, all you do is slide it in....pic below...
http://dailyhemo.org/1//index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=27&func=detail&id=9

How often do you get supplies, and is there special storage requirements?

I get supplies once a month and I use the closet to store the items. I also have some items in the garage. However, with the new addon module coming soon I won't need much storage.

I have many more and really hope you could answer. Thanks in advance.

Sure, am here to help you decide... :) .....you may also visit my photo gallery...link below
http://dailyhemo.org/1//index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=27&func=viewcategory&catid=1

WillieandWinnie

Rerun@ Give home dialysis another try...... ;)

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 10:08:07 AM »

Hi Gus,

That's very nice that you can switch, and the 100miles is not too bad really but perhaps you can have the blood drawn locally? Will you have to switch Doctors as well? If not, maybe you can have the blood drawn locally? training on NxStage took me 17 days so really doesn't take long. Btw, do you currently do daily-short dialysis with the 2008H? [/b]

Yes, we will have to switch doctor, clinic, lab. Everything. We do 3 times a week for 3 hours. I try to get a every other day in about once a month if I have the supplies.

Oh yes, setup time is very short, 18 minutes for me........and now with the add on module coming soon it will not need so much storage space for dialysate....dialysate will be created in your own home![/b]

Are you getting and RO?

I really have some questions for you since you have been using NxStage for a while now. What kind of access do you have?

I have a short fistula on my right arm, was placed in 1984........for needling, currently using buttonhole method[/b]

I keep reading about the bottonhole technique, still not sure I understand it!!

I get supplies once a month and I use the closet to store the items. I also have some items in the garage. However, with the new add on module coming soon I won't need much storage.

What add on module?

Sure, am here to help you decide... :) .....you may also visit my photo gallery...link below[/b]
http://dailyhemo.org/1//index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=27&func=viewcategory&catid=1

Gus, thanks for the links to your site, it's going to help me a lot when we see this up close.

WillieandWinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Gus

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 10:34:59 AM »

That's very nice that you can switch, and the 100miles is not too bad really but perhaps you can have the blood drawn locally? Will you have to switch Doctors as well? If not, maybe you can have the blood drawn locally? training on NxStage took me 17 days so really doesn't take long. Btw, do you currently do daily-short dialysis with the 2008H?

Yes, we will have to switch doctor, clinic, lab. Everything. We do 3 times a week for 3 hours. I try to get a every other day in about once a month if I have the supplies.

Same happened to me here, switched Doctor and clinic......but keep in mind that switching to NxStage means you will do it everyday for short periods...... depending on weight and labs. For example, I do 6x a week from 2.5-2.7 hours......sounds like alot but heck, its making me feel healthy...basicly, its keep toxic and fluid buildup ar bay. Blood pressure is normal now....you won't feel that dragged down feeling from 3x a week............I also can see there's another option I can see in your hands right now......its called Nocturnal.......you can try and see how Nocturnal works out for you 3x a week.....basicly you dialyze while sleeping...pump speed and UFR are set low....a very gentle dialysis....alot better than 3 hours.......you can eat more and drink more....talk to your clinic about this

Oh yes, setup time is very short, 18 minutes for me........and now with the add on module coming soon it will not need so much storage space for dialysate....dialysate will be created in your own home!

Are you getting and RO?

No R.O. needed here..........just a receptable outlet for power and a drain

I have a short fistula on my right arm, was placed in 1984........for needling, currently using buttonhole method

I keep reading about the bottonhole technique, still not sure I understand it!!

You can read more about it here..... http://www.homedialysis.org/v1/types/buttonhole.shtml 
Also, look at this video by Bill Pecking..... http://www.worldfamousedit.com/kidney/Needles_0517.mov .......basicly, its like inserting earings

I get supplies once a month and I use the closet to store the items. I also have some items in the garage. However, with the new add on module coming soon I won't need much storage.

What add on module?

Its a device the size of a standard end table that will produce ultra-pure dialysate in your own home.....read more about it here..
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=142059&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=842399&highlight=

Sure, am here to help you decide... :) .....you may also visit my photo gallery...link below[/b]

Gus, thanks for the links to your site, it's going to help me a lot when we see this up close.
WillieandWinnie

Your welcomed!

Len

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 10:44:43 AM »

Hi Gus  I have been on home hemo now for  a year   using the button hole  needles   my machine is a Gambro AK95 which has the RO unit  on the side of it I have a room in the basment for all the  larger supplies  and a cabinet in the bedroom for all the small stuff    if you would like a pic  of the machine   add me to MSN messenger Len_Burrows or pzn69@hotmail.com
Gus

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:25 AM »

Hi Gus  I have been on home hemo now for  a year   using the button hole  needles   my machine is a Gambro AK95 which has the RO unit  on the side of it I have a room in the basment for all the  larger supplies  and a cabinet in the bedroom for all the small stuff    if you would like a pic  of the machine   add me to MSN messenger Len_Burrows or pzn69@hotmail.com

Okay Len, I added you........  :)

Here's your picture.......killer blue sports car!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:09:45 PM by Gus » Logged
fireguy

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »

Been a home hemo patient for over 3 years. Works great for me doing 4hrs ,3 times per week. Work full time and vol at fire hall despite my dialysis. Can't speak for anyone else but home hemo works well for me.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 04:10:37 PM »

I hope you had permission from him, before you posted his picture.  ??? and next time attach the picture, I don't like Link pictures, because links die, but if you attach it, the picture will be here for as long as this site is online.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Gus

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 04:27:59 PM »

I hope you had permission from him, before you posted his picture.  ??? and next time attach the picture, I don't like Link pictures, because links die, but if you attach it, the picture will be here for as long as this site is online.

- Epoman
[/quote

Len an I had a great chat over MSN..... :) .....there's also a pic on my site's gallery at http://dailyhemo.org/1//index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=27

It was rather a huge picture....I had to optimize it with Photoshop.......
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:52:43 PM by Gus » Logged
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »

- Epoman
[/quote

Len an I had a great chat over MSN..... :) .....there's also a pic on my site's gallery at http://dailyhemo.org/1//index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=27

It was rather a huge picture....I had to optimize it with Photoshop.......

Thank you.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2006, 06:10:37 PM »

I don't think you have to "quote" everything.  Instead of 1 picture now we have 4. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 06:21:12 PM by Rerun » Logged

Len

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2006, 07:16:09 PM »

Problem with having a picture on here  ?  ok I'll remove mine  ((( sorry.)))
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »