I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:09:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Permanent Dialysis Join the Club here!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Permanent Dialysis Join the Club here!  (Read 5864 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: November 13, 2007, 10:07:18 PM »

Well after nine years of dialysis it as finally become permanent for me.  So those of you who are in the same predicament join the club!  I am going to need some support while I adjust for the next few weeks, months, and years to this idea.  Anyone have any advice?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 12:28:21 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »

No advise but lots of {{{{HUGS}}}}    :grouphug;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:41:34 PM »

I am sorry, Kitkatz.  You have been so strong and dealt with so much and now this.  I hope it helps knowing we all care so much for you and wish life would just cut you a break right now.    :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
keefer51

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:34 AM »

I also trying to accept it. I just look at it this way, I will be on it the rest of my life. So i have got to make adjustments in my life. I feel writing about it in a blog can help. I also found that talking about with family is useless. I also think about how far we have come since the 15 years of my transplant and think there may be a light at the end of this ungodly tunnel.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 03:48:59 AM »

Nothing I can say or do will help but Hugs to the lifers out there. :grouphug;
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:30:38 AM »

Well there is always hope that a transplant might happen in the future, but even if it does not you know that you have us all behind you.

Hang in there kit.  :cuddle;

Amanda
xxoo

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 04:52:48 AM »

As Keefer mentioned, look at all the advances they've made. Hopefully they'll come up with something that will make your life almost dialysis free. In the meantime, know that you have lots of people who care about you and this hard road you have to travel.  :grouphug;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 05:31:26 AM »

:cuddle; :cuddle;

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 06:51:25 AM »

No words, just  :cuddle; :cuddle; :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 10:17:14 AM »

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
LightLizard

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »

i can diggit and i know your pain cuz i have it too. i have been considering stopping dialysis recently. i don't see much point to continuing an existence that promises only to get worse. it seems that everything that ever mattered to me is being, or has been taken away from me.

but then i think,' well....with my luck, a week after i die they'll probably make a big leap forward in stem cell research, or something, and kidney disease will be obsolete...'

its a day-to-day existence. some worse than others, but luckily, some better than others too...

wishing you all the better ones...

love

~LL~
brenda

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:12:04 AM »

You know I hear ya Kit. I'm a lifer. 14 years for me now but I just keep going and that is all you can do. I understand your disappointment. Heck it ain't so bad you just got not let dialysis rule your life you need to rule it. If you can do it at home like you mentioned you wanted to, you will find it much easier. Good luck my friend.  :cuddle;

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
st789

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 11:33:35 AM »

Sorry to hear this.  We are always here for you Kitz.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »

I'm sorry.    :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »

Lifer here too girlfriend, i feel your pain but i try and ignore it, sometimes it works and sometimes, eh, you know the story  :thumbdown;   I hope you really look into doing home hemo and getting some of your life back.  Good luck to you girlfriend i luvz ya  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »

Damn it why do people feel the need to tell you to get a second opinion on what is going in with your body?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 01:33:04 AM »

Damn it why do people feel the need to tell you to get a second opinion on what is going in with your body?

Well, I know you have been very pro-active about your care.
But in general, a second opinion is warranted:
Because not every doctor has all the answers. Because new treatments are discovered every day. Because some clinics make mistakes. Because it is YOUR body - and you want to be thorough. Because knowledge is power.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 08:20:52 AM »

It's sometimes worth it - without a second opinion my Dad would only have one leg now.  Thanks to the second opinion and skills of that surgeon he still has both legs.  He's on dialysis for life,but dialysis with 2 legs sure beats dailysis in a wheelchair.  That said, I am so sorry to hear that you are a 'lifer' too and I'm sending a big hug and praying hard for a solution to kidney failure for all of you. :cuddle;
Rose
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:34 AM »

while i know dialysis is for life, if you're not having a transplant, which i'm not, it's something that i just don't think about, so it has never really bothered me. but then i'm just weird anyway. i do understand how you feel though kitkatz. it's probably good that i don't give it any thought or i'd be in a deep blue funk all the time. and a grumpy susie is definitely no fun. if i can help in anyway, just pm me. ya know we all luv ya.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 10:28:10 AM »

I'm in.  There isn't even a list here where I live.  And I don't think I want a transplant anyway.  I might not seem proactive, but I am very thankful for the life I have, even on dialysis.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 06:43:56 AM »

Well after nine years of dilaysis it as finally become permanent for me.  So those of you who are in the same predicament join the club!  I am going to need some support while I adjust for the next few weeks, months, and years to this idea.  Anyone have any advice?

I'm on for the duration (baring a change in me or medicine). One day at a time and live in the moment has been my strategy. Get outside too. When I am in the moment outside dialysis is far away.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 10:00:40 AM »

Kitkatz, if you don't mind my asking, what was the reason they gave you for refusing to consider you for transplantation?  Oftentimes transplant physicians set medically unreasonable standards for people to qualify for transplantation, simply in an effort to trim the transplant waiting list by keeping as many people off it as they can.  Since the extent of this cheating varies from one transplant center to another, you might benefit by seeking to be put on a transplant list elsewhere.  Again, it all depends on the reason you were given for your exclusion.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 11:57:52 PM »

Here the link to where I posted why the transplant team said no to me. You have to go down a few posts to see it.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5094.80

lifenotonthelist.com

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 10:10:31 AM »

Sorry I missed your earlier message, Kitkatz.  However, while only you can judge what is best for you, if I were in your position, I would prefer to run the risk of the difficult surgery so I could take my chances later with the transplant evaluation team.  I say this because all life is a gamble, and few feelings can be harder to endure than the notion that we have given up a vital dream by our own choice not to endure some hardship to have a chance at it.  Freud said that most depression comes from the repression of hatred we could not openly express and which we then covertly re-directed against ourselves, and perhaps your feeling of depression now arises from some anger at yourself for denying yourself your dream by not taking a risk.  When I was deciding to act on my chance for a transplant, many people told me not to risk it, and my wife especially was astonished at how totally calm I was about going ahead with the transplant risk.  For me, however, it was no risk at all, since I would have preferred dying quickly and neatly in surgery than slowly and messily on dialysis, as I had been doing for more than eight years.  Life is all about going for it: you will have five billion years to lie in a casket before the world is destroyed when the Sun runs out of energy, so during the brief period when you can still do something, my motto is always to run the chance of making things better.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »