I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Hubby had an accident
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hubby had an accident  (Read 31895 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: May 26, 2006, 03:08:47 AM »

My 60 year old husband was working on one of the garbage truck's pieces today when he had an accident.  He had taken out a truck's packing blade (No idea what it looks like, either.). It is a heavy piece of equipment.  Put it on chains and began to hoist it up to get a good look at it.  Something went snap and it fell on top of him.  It crushed his lower left leg, creating a compound fracture and smashing nerve and blood vessels to the foot. 
    He went into surgery at six in the evening and was out by ten O'Clock into recovery. I finally got to see him around 11:30p.m.  They amputated his left leg below the knee.  No way to save the leg.  It would have been dead and a problem for him.
I got home around 3a.m. this morning .  I have NO idea how I feel about all of this.

Dear God,  What did we ever do to you?

Katherine

EDITED:Edited title to update post-kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 10:38:36 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kevno

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 05:56:20 AM »

Katherine,

Do not know what so say, it must be like an nightmare for you. All we renal patients go through a lot, and now you have your husband. Who will have the shock of losing his lower leg. Just remamber All Renal Patients never give up!! I am sure your Husband and you (Katerine) we get through this together. Just another hurdle to get over, of many already got over.

Remember we are always here for you. Hope it all goes well for your Husband, plus he is up and around very soon. Has I keep getting reminded, a lower leg amputation, if any, is one of the best for being able to learn to walk again.

Both of you will be in my thoughts.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:08:49 AM »

Thanks Kevno. I will keep everyone updated as our little nightmare continues over here.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ginger

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »

Katherine,
So sorry to hear about your husbands accident. Hope the amputation heals well and he is up walking on a prothesis soon. Thinking of you both.     Ginger
susie q

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:52:02 AM »

So sorry to read this Kat...  it must be a nightmare for you both..   saying a prayer for you and your hubby..   :-*
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:27:54 PM »

Kat I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 07:45:34 PM »

You are in my prayers!  Here we expect something to happen to us daily and a normal healthy person has this accident.  I'm so sorry for both of you.  May you find strength through this transition.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 08:30:32 PM »

Saw the hubby twice today. Before dialysis and after.  They put him on a pain pump to help with the after effects.  He is having a hard time adjusting mentally, but we will GET through this somehow.  (Oh boy. My own personal hell.)  I feel like I am going to crack from stress, and if one more person asks
How can I help? If there is anything I can do? Call me.
How are you holding up? 
I may run screaming from them.  I know people mean well, but there is really nothing you can do in this situation.
The mayor of San Bernardino sent a plant and called him to wish him well.  Should have made sure the chains in the shop were up and running and safe before it happened! Sorry. He has worked for the City for 26 years as a heavy equipment mechanic.  Eighteen months till retirement.  You could say he gave near all.
Told him today he could tell people he was injured in the WWGT: War with the Garbage Truck. :-* Sorry the morbid sense of humor pops out right now.  I am in a daze and coping a day at a time.  Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 09:04:46 PM »

Oh man Kitkatz, I just now read this thread, I'm sorry to hear what happened. You mentioned about the chains being up and running? Was that the cities fault? Should you talk to an attorney? I mean if it was negligence on the cities part (which is probably why the plant and call from the mayor) losing a leg could be a very big amount of money, VERY big.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
anja

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 11:07:14 PM »

So very sorry for your husband's terrible accident, Kit!  How very, very unfortunate for him that retirement was only 18 months away!
Sometimes we just don't know why ~ bad things happen to good people!  It would be a very difficult transition to wake up and all things are normal and the next day your life has been changed in such a way!  May you both find the strength to face the new challenges in your future.  My best wishes go out to both of you!  Dee
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »

I am currently looking for a good workman's comp and injury lawyer.  Anyone got a number out there in So. CA.?  I want a shark who will circle the city and make them pay up through the nose.  I already know we are going to have to rent a car and the city will have to pay for it.  The car we have will not fit a wheelchair or him comfortably.  If I blather on and on here just tell me to knock it off.  I am off to find the amputee boards and get some help there.
Night all.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 06:34:27 AM »

Feel free to blather on all you want.  I've been thinking of you and hubby since you posted this.  He's lucky he has you.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »

I am currently looking for a good workman's comp and injury lawyer.  Anyone got a number out there in So. CA.?  I want a shark who will circle the city and make them pay up through the nose.  I already know we are going to have to rent a car and the city will have to pay for it.  The car we have will not fit a wheelchair or him comfortably.  If I blather on and on here just tell me to knock it off.   I am off to find the amputee boards and get some help there.
Night all.

Katherine

This is your site, you talk as much as you want/need. That's why this section is called Off-Topic, anything goes. In fact I wish more people would post in off-topic since it keeps our mind off dialyisis.  ;)

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 11:21:51 AM »

Victor was able to get up out of bed early this morning and go to the bathroom with some assist.  I teased him as I sponged bathed him this morning.  It was a struggle watching him try to get up.  Oh Geez!  It is going to be quite a recovery process for both of us.  I am worried about how he is going to cope at home.  They are saying they will let him out of the hospital tomorrow.  We need some equipment for the bathroom and for him to use here at home.  With it being Memerial Day weekend things are closed.  I need to talk to the social worker and the risk management people and get some needed things before he comes home.  I am going to need some in home help too.  If he falls I cannot help pick him up.  Worry, worry, worry. 

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 03:22:55 PM »

Kat, you make them keep him a few more days until you get things in order.  Don't let him shit.  They won't let you go home until you shit.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 01:18:18 AM »

True Rerun True! 

You all will just NOT believe what happened today,. I am visiting my hubby in the hospital at Loma Linda when my brother in law walks in to the room and says: "I know you don't need any more bad news, but...your sister fell off of her brand spanking new recumbent bicycle and looks like she broke her ankle.  Mom is on her way to the hospital and wants you to come."
So I leave one crisis hospital bed, and run over to another emergency room in time to see them set my sister's foot for the second and third times.  I was with her in the ER until 10:30 tonight then had to go on a three town search for an all night pharmacy.  Ended up in San Bernardino near the other end of town at a Walgreens till past midnight.  Finally got home at 1 a.m.  I have no idea how the hubby is.  When I left him tonight he was eating dinner and recovering from a pain shot.  They are giving Toredal (sp.)for his pain to wean him off of the narcotics like morphine. 
I think Memorial Day Weekend 2006 is one for a memoir!  I know I won't forget it soon!

Katherine
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 09:39:00 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 11:46:42 AM »

I went to see the hubby today and stayed for a little while.  I think I chickened out on him at the hospital and came home.  They are still trying to get him to go pooh.  I told him what Rerun recommended and he laughed.  He is living in fart city, but no real stuff yet. (What a post! huh!).  My
sister is up and around today. I talked to her this morning.  She is not looking forward to surgery on her ankle.  I am tempted to put her and Victor in the same room and let them recover together.

I walked down to the neighbors house two door's down and asked in their kid could come mow the lawn.  Interesting conversation. The neighbor is an LVN and offered to help if I need anything when he comes home. 

Doctor said it looks like tomorrow they will send him over to rehab facility to continue his recovery.  I was getting into a panic if they were going to send him home.  On a holiday weekend?  No supplies or nothing even mentioned to me.  So we shall see what is going to happen.  I am going to give him a call and tell him I love him again. 

God, I miss having him around the house. Now I am crying, oh well...

Katherine
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 09:39:39 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 02:38:28 PM »

When I broke my hip, then a week later my second hip, I was full of so much pain meds, that I could not go to the bathroom for 9 days. So you could literally say I was full of shit.  >:D

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »

Doctor said it looks like tomorrow they wills end him over to rehab facility to continue his recovery.  I was getting into a panic if they were going to send him home.  On a holiday weekend?  No supplies or nothing even mentioned to me.  So we shall see what is going to happen.  I am going to give him a call and tell him I love him again. 

Anytime one of my family members was sent from hospital to rehab they actually stayed in the rehab place - hopefully it will be the same with your hubby.

Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 11:02:51 PM »

They are going to send hubby to a rehab center until he can better cope with everyday demands and heals more.  I miss him at home.

Katherine
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:23:09 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 07:19:38 PM »

I know you miss him, but now is your chance to get your home ready.  Ask what he will need.  Maybe a ramp up to the house?  Maybe a booster toilet seat?  I don't know, I'm just brain storming.   ???

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 07:28:51 PM »

Boy thats just terrible kitkatz. You sound like one strong lady. My thoughts are with you and yours.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 09:27:35 PM »

Well...let's see...the craziness continues...  No bad news today!
The hubby will be going to Rehab unit tomorrow. I saw him today amid stayed a while with him. We got out in the wheel chair and ran around the basement of the hospital OOOH! Scary!  No one down there but the engineers and docs.  The he went back to bed and I came home.  He is feeling better. We met the case manager today and she will be managing his case for the city and Loma LInda and the insurance.  He is to get 3/4 pay with no taxes on it.  Should make life interesting around here. Luckily my pay has gone up this year.  Well..I am off the beddy bye.  I am exhausted and have dialysis tomorrow afternoon.

lifenotonthelist.com

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 04:35:24 AM »

That's great news about his pay!  I hope that is able to relieve a little of your stress in a time like this.  Still thinking of you guys.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »