I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 08:18:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  End the death penalty
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: End the death penalty  (Read 3803 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 08, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »

A friend wrote this letter to his local newspaper in San Diego regarding a recent article about efforts to end the death penalty.

To the Editor:
There is a new push on to end the death penalty.  I agree with this advocacy.   When an individual
needs an organ transplant they are placed on a list which is must like receiving a death sentence.
The few lucky ones are given a reprieve when they receive a transplant.  There is very little support
to end this horrible practice.

The efforts to end the death penalty are reserved for those who have committed the most heinous crimes.
Reasons given range from inhumane to a lack of perfection.   Who cries out for the innocent who are
subjected to this inhumane system of organ transplants?   Who cares that the system of distribution of
valuable organs is far from perfect?   Certainly not the courts nor those who cynically claim to value human life.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »

Good one!  Instead of the death penalty just remove their kidneys and let them live on dialysis.  ;D

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:44:05 PM »

Good one!  Instead of the death penalty just remove their kidneys and let them live on dialysis.  ;D

I'd second that!

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »

Great idea Rerun!!   :2thumbsup;  Good letter, Okarol.   :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:40:23 AM »

But removing their kidneys and putting them on dialysis would be cruel and inhumane torture.  Can you imagine the lawsuits?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:33:14 AM »

:clap; Great letter okarol, thank your friend for us!

Rerun, I LOVE it! It'd be better than the current system of them meeting with parole officers now (if they got parole). They see them at dialysis, they don't go to their meetings, they don't get to live - simple as that.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:55:34 PM »

As many of you probably have heard, many patients receiving cadaver kidneys have dreams or cravings they can't explain.  I don't believe I would feel comfortable with a transplanted organ from someone with a criminal background that would lead to the death penalty.  I would fear the nightmares would be frightening and my personality could be twisted in ways that I don't even wish to contemplate.

Before I received my sister's kidney I never had any cravings for sweets or chocolate.

Completely different story after the transplant.

Thank you and good night.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:29:36 PM »

As many of you probably have heard, many patients receiving cadaver kidneys have dreams or cravings they can't explain.  I don't believe I would feel comfortable with a transplanted organ from someone with a criminal background that would lead to the death penalty.  I would fear the nightmares would be frightening and my personality could be twisted in ways that I don't even wish to contemplate.

Before I received my sister's kidney I never had any cravings for sweets or chocolate.

This doesn't happen to everyone though. Never happened to me... as of yet.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 04:45:54 AM »

Stacy, I've never heard of that.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 08:36:11 AM »

Couldn't be worse than sitting through 4 hours of dialysis.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
LightLizard

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »

read the book 'the heart's code' by paul pearsal. its a serious study and presentation of many transplant recipients who have had drastic changes to their taste buds and the like, after their transplants.
its a very entertaining book and puts forth the premise that the heart is actually a thinking organ, but is drowned out by the noise of the brain...

another very interesting point it makes concerns a little girl that had received a heart transplant, after which she began having awful nightmares about being murdered by a man with a knife. the dreams were so persistant that her mother had her see a psychiatrist, who, with a little behind-the-scenes influence, managed to find out who the donor was; a little girl that had been murdered by a man with a kniife. she asked the patient if she knew the man's name, (who had never been caught) - she did. the doctor informed the police. when they knocked on the man's door, he opened it, saw the police, and immediately confessed to the crime. he is in prison to this day for that crime.

love

~LL~
oswald

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »

after my second transplant, i had cravings and weird dreams also.  when the transplant died, so did the cravings and dreams.  with this third transplant, no cravings or weird dreams.  very strange indeed.

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 10:02:18 PM »

This doesn't happen to everyone though. Never happened to me... as of yet.

Never happened to me either and people around me have asked about that too if I had any odd cravings. Sometimes I feel that  is the stupidest question you could ask me, and quit bugging me about it! :boxing;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 10:08:29 AM »

The phenomenon you are all discussing is well known in conventional medicine and is referred to as 'cellular memory.'  Since the kidney participates in all the functions of the body and brain via hormonal, circulatory, and neurological interconnections, it is obviously influenced by everything the body has ever experienced -- even by thoughts in some way.  Thus patients who receive a new kidney often find that their tastes change in some unanticipated way, perhaps because the kidney they receive encodes some taste preferences of the donor, either because of its biochemistry having determined these preferences in the first place, or because the nervous system has communicated to it preferences developed in the brain via the surrounding culture and society of the donor.

For me, I liked chewing gum before the transplant, but in the two years since then, I have never once had any interest in chewing gum.  Whether cellular memory can influence more sophisticated things than taste preferences and impose entire thoughts or attitudes on the recipient is less clear, however.

Interestingly, all of this is anticipated in Mary Shelley's book, "Frankenstein," which first appeared at the beginning of the nineteenth century!
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »

Since Otto's transplant he no longer can eat seafood. We went out for Crab legs the day he got out of hospital and his lips got all swollen and everytime he tried eating seafood his symptoms got worse so we asked his Dr and they said maybe the person he got the kidney from was allergic? So now I have to eat for the both of us hehehe

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »