I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:19:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Newbie from Toronto, Canada
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie from Toronto, Canada  (Read 5391 times)
jamescfs

« on: November 04, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »

Hi to everyone. My name is James, and I'm from Toronto, Canada. I'm 34 years old and have been on home nocturnal hemodialysis since October 2004.

I was diagnosed with IGA nephritis in June of 2004. So it wasn't much of a wait from getting bulldozed over by the diagnosis to having to go on dialysis. The only in-center dialysis I've done is during my training at the hospital to administer my own treatments for home hemo. It's been a rough few years, but I'm sure many of you have had the same or worse.

I lost my best friend in a car accident less than a couple of months after starting my nocturnal dialysis treatments at home. My best friend's mom had told me after he passed away, 11 days after the accident in hospital, that he had wanted to get tested to see if he was a compatible donor. Considering he absolutely hated hospitals, doctors, nurses, and anyone else in the medical profession, it must have been a difficult decision for him to make. His internal injuries were too severe to be of any use for transplantation. (I'm getting all choked up just typing this, and I do everytime I mention this.) In many ways, I'm still not over the loss of my best friend. It just wasn't fair that healthy person like him wouldn't live past his 30th birthday, yet an ill person such as me gets to struggle on. I easily would have traded my life for his.

The hardship of the illness and not having a truly great friend around, and having my heart broken badly...over and over and over again, all came to a hilt a year ago when I fell into a deep depression and made a few feeble attempts to take my own life over a 3 month span. It was at that point I finally sought psychiatric help. I am happy to say that I am no longer in therapy and have been weened off the anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, but the sadness still hits me hard at times. I wish I had found this forum much sooner, as I can see that this is such a supportive community, almost like a family.

During the time I was in therapy, I reconnected with many old friends who I had lost touch with 15 years ago after high school, through Facebook.com. So I now have a new inner circle of friends, many of whom were very instrumental in helping me get through my depression. I don't know how I could have gotten through this without them. I now feel closer to them than most of the friends I've known for the past 10 years. But no matter how great my friends are, they'll never fully understand what it is I'm going through, and I would never expect them to. Being a home dialysis patient, I don't get much interaction with others who are also on dialysis, so I hope hanging out here can fill that little void.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 02:09:06 PM by jamescfs » Logged

Nocturnal Home Hemodialysis since Oct 2004
On the transplant list ... waiting ...

MC (05/06/74 - 12/13/04)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 02:10:13 PM »

Welcome Jamie.
 :welcomesign;

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 02:36:44 PM »

Hello James, welcome to ihatedialysis.com.  I am soooo happy you found us, we are not just an awesome website, we are an even more awesome support group (we are actually more like family now)  We welcome any new newcomer into the "family" and we offer support, encouragement, advice, humor (if needed) you name it, it is here.  :2thumbsup;   I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your friend and i know exactly what you are going through,  i lost my best friend to a car accident also, she was hit by a drunk driver.  She was only 21 when it happend, i was 20, and here i am, 20 years later, on dialysis, struggling to survive so i know exactly what you are going through my friend and i know the pain (it does it easier with time)   :cuddle;   I look forward to hearing more from you, you hang in there and stick with us ok, i am sure you will find yourself fitting right in.  Take care  :cuddle;

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
oswald

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 02:47:43 PM »

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »

:welcomesign; James

You have found the greatest support group you could possibly want. Hang in there and know that we are only a keyboard away. I did my husband's home-hemo until 9/7 when he got his transplant and it hasn't been an easy road. Come often, read past post, ask questions and by all means, RANT.

Take Care

willieandwinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »

You found a great source of information and support James. Thanks for sharing your story.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 04:19:37 PM »

Wow, you have been through a lot. I am sorry about the loss of your close friend. Something like that along with kidney disease must be very difficult. You will like this site. There is plenty of support here and much you can learn. It sounds like you have a handle on your depression, which can be difficult. Don't forget to ask those around you for help again should the depression become unbarable. I too struggle with depression at times regarding my kidney disease. I wish you well.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »

Hey James, Welcome to IHD...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Aldente

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 05:33:35 PM »

Welcome James.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 07:17:15 PM »

Welcome to ihatedialysis.com James,

It's great that you found us because we have a closeness built by many experiences. many of us have met each other in person and by phone, but the important thing is that we care about each other regardless of the stage of esrd. I am predialysis with FSGS but right from the beginning when I joined the site I was excepted. That meant so much to me I can't explain how I felt. I have lost many friends from accidents to the Iraq war and even one from PTSD( post traumatic stress disorder) so I really understand what you are feeling, with the loss of your friend.

I hope you feel acceptance here and I hope you find it easier to accept your losses as friendships grow here on IHD.

Sluff/ Admin
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 07:45:50 PM »

brenda

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »

Welcome fellow Canadian  :canadaflag;

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
jamescfs

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone! I have already found it very comforting, going through the older posts and saying to myself, YES, I've gone through that too, or I know exactly what that's like, or so everybody DOES goes through that and feels that way, JUST LIKE I DO! It's very much an isolated, and often lonely, feeling being on home dialysis, with no other peers to interact with. It's great to be here, in such a large and friendly group, people who know EXACTLY what I am going through, and can identify with one another.

Nocturnal Home Hemodialysis since Oct 2004
On the transplant list ... waiting ...

MC (05/06/74 - 12/13/04)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »

Welcome to our community!  I am so glad you found us, and that you decided to join us.  I just have to correct one statement you made at the beginning - "as I can see that this is such a supportive community, almost like a family".  This IS a family, a real family and we have the experiences to prove.  We have been through deep sorrow here (the loss of our founder Epoman) and members of IHD were there at his homegoing.  We have been through tremendous happiness (the renewal of the vows of Sluff and Christy in Vegas) and members of IHD were there upfront.  This is a family.  Just keep posting and let us know what is happening to you.  Feel free to vent, rant, rage.  This is just the place for it.  As you noted, here people really understand what you are going through and there are lots of caring people ready to go through whatever challenges you face with you.  Welcome again. Looking forward to hearing lots from you.   :grouphug;

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 11:34:03 PM »

Welcome James, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 03:56:48 AM »

Ken
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 08:01:26 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 08:26:02 AM »

:waving; Hi James,
Great you could join IHD - please tell more about your nocturnal hemo and anything you else you feel like sharing.
I hope you find a safe place here - welcome!
 :cuddle;

okarol/moderator

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Razman

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »

Welcome aboard from another  Toronto member ( actually a  suburb )  but close enough.  You'll find that this site is full of all kinds of information and there are others that can share their experience and give advise.  Let stay in touch.  Send me a private email sometime. :canadaflag;
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
keefer51

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 01:48:11 AM »

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 02:11:43 AM »

:welcomesign; James

Great to see you here !

Hope you have as much fun here as I do !

See you around

Tamara xxx ooo  :waving;  :cuddle;  :beer1;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Psim

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 11:34:19 AM »

Welcome, James, from yet another Canadian. Sounds like you've really been through the wringer, but have found the strength to get through. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend -- that must have been so hard. I'm glad this site can help with some of the isolation. :welcomesign;
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »