I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Do you really have to get rid of pets after a transplant?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you really have to get rid of pets after a transplant?  (Read 29775 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: May 21, 2006, 07:03:18 PM »

There's very little information that I have been able to find online about pets after transplant.  I've read, you definitely have to get rid of them, and I've also read, just don't clean the litterbox.  Which is it?  I'm very worried about it because we have several pets that are like our kids.  If it came right down to it, either keep the pets or get a transplant, of course we would do what was best for Joe.  But like I said, they are like our kids and we would both be devastated.    :'(

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »

Unless things have changed recently, the dogs will have to be removed from your home.

When my cousin got his heart transplant that was a condition set during his work up.  He had the geriatric one put down -  at 12 years old w/ chronic health problems, she could never have adjusted to another home.  The younger one he placed.  His heart was so fragile that he lived in a special unit at Shands teaching hospin Gainesville, FL for several months before he got a heart.  He went home about 8 weeks after the transplant to a cleaned and sterilized home.  Over a year later he finally got clearance to visit the dog but he learned she had been recently put down due to health problems.  He was upset, but was greatful the new owners had not let her suffer.

BTW, he always carries a bottle of hand sanitizer in his pocket and uses it frequently and it has been about 6 years now.  When I asked him about getting a dog last year he said he could not have one and changed the subject.

I hope things have changed, and if not, maybe you could build them their own "playhouse" in the back yard?

Lorelle

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kevno

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:31:51 PM »

I have always had a cat and dog, even when I had my transplant, The only thing was I never let the dog are cat into the bedroom, plus I never emptied the litter tray. Even when I was on CAPD never let the animals into the bedrooms. Only ever got two infection while on CAPD. Both times I was in Hospital. Different country's different ideas.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:49:40 PM »

What are they actually worried about as far as the pets?  I guess if you mess with their feces and don't wash your hands that would be a problem.  But what else?

Joe died July 18, 2007
babi68

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:57:40 PM »

Have been told birds are not good either. I have a cockateil inside and now am looking for an aviary outside for him. I haven't had a transplant yet, but hoping one will come soon(not holding my breath). That way when I get one I won't have to worry about him. I have 2 dogs as well. Never been told to get rid of them. My sister had a transplant 2 years ago and still has her dog. Will chat with the nurses here to see if I am allowed pets at all. Hope so. Luv my puppies.. What pets do you have?? Liz ;D
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 07:13:06 PM »

Dogs and cats. 

Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 07:51:16 PM »

I think for the first 3 months or so, get them out of your house.  I had a dog and a horse that I was around, but not for the first 3 months as I lived with my parents who were closer to the transplant center.  When you get worked up for the transplant, ask them about it.  My transplant center said I could have my dogs, but no sleeping with them.  You immune system is wiped out for a good month or two so you don't need any extra bacteria gettin in your way.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 03:15:55 PM »

That will be a huge pain, since normally they're squeezed into every available inch on the bed,  :D but a lot better than getting rid of them.  I really hope you're right.  As soon as we talk to transplant people at Shands (if ever, I should say  ::))  I'll ask.

Joe died July 18, 2007
kevno

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »

Your pets are like part of the family. All you need to do is be a little more careful. After an Transplant, because of the drugs.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 10:26:05 PM »

I havent heard anything about this. We have a cat who is like a child to us. I think if you are hygenic about it, I dont see it being a problem. Our cat gets a bath, and he isnt allowed outside and I always scrub my hands after changing the litter tray.
Naggy6

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 12:01:31 AM »

Hi I haven't been on line in a while, I've been busy helping my sister care for my father and he is a handfull. By the time I get to the computer I can't even keep my eyes open.

Any way I was told a dog was fine and even a cat as long it was a cat you already had before transplant. I was told not to get any new pets after transplant. If I understand right if you've had your pet for a while your immune system is kind of used to it as opposed to getting a new pet the your immune system is not used to.

My nice had a bone marrow transplant and was told she could not be around children for a few months after because her immune system was low and they have lots of germs. She was aloud near my children though because she had always been around them a lot before.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »

Naggy, I think bone marrow transplants are a bit different than kidney transplants in regards to pets and germs.
coravh

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »

Get rid of my babies? Are you nuts? NFW on that one.

I kept my dogs and my 2 cats after the transplant. For the first year I was very careful about what I did though. I had my cat checked for toxoplasmosis (sp?) and he is clean. For the first year, you are careful with just about everything. I had a lot of help from my Mom and she cleaned the backyard and the litter box for me. I traded by doing a lot of her vaccuuming. After the first year I started doing the cleanup myself with gloves, and since then, I don't even bother with that. I just make sure I wash my hands on a regular basis.
jdat

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »

The fujisawa ( they make prograf anti rejection meds )transplant patient handbook I got says no cats and birds but they do say to use gloves with litter trays and such.

Since I got home from the transplant I don't let my dog under my blanket like she used to do in the morning .... I let her stay on top and she doesn't quite get it yet  >:D
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 06:52:35 PM »

There's very little information that I have been able to find online about pets after transplant.  I've read, you definitely have to get rid of them, and I've also read, just don't clean the litterbox.  Which is it?  I'm very worried about it because we have several pets that are like our kids.  If it came right down to it, either keep the pets or get a transplant, of course we would do what was best for Joe.  But like I said, they are like our kids and we would both be devastated.    :'(
from experience I will tell you .. I kept my cat but cleaning the cat litter box worried me since I live alone. But I wasn't gonna give up my cat sicne I fought over an hour with my apartment manager to keep my cat (I live alone and don't go out much even though I am young because all there is to do in my city is drink and gamble and I gave up drinking along with smoking 5 years ago and I don't gamble since I am too poor to bother). So what I did was I use gloves and I wear a mask (I have a lot of them from years of dialysis before they told me I no longer need to worry about masks). Also the cat litter box has a bag that has an easy drawstring. I lift and it draws closed and I put it into another bag and tie it up and toss. Sometimes my friend Dave will do it for me.

But it does seem like a real hassle at times. Basically ... it has to come down to trial and error and seeing what fits your health and family best.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 09:42:40 PM »

The majority here says they kept their pets and it seems that everything worked out for them,  why are they still insisting that they get rid of them?  Especially if they are like family members, i think that would put me in a depression and i wouldnt be able to cope with the fact that my dog, the one who has been faithful to me all these years has to leave my side because of me.   I am sorry, i dont think i could do it

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
jdat

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 03:34:27 AM »

We are all fine because the docs freaked out us and we try to be as careful as possible  ;)

Don't you think  ??? >:D
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 06:56:18 PM »

ok I got this responce from Dialysis Joe at D&T City:

Cat litter is loaded with toxoplasmosis, which is a disease that lives in cat feces.  Here's a fact sheet from the CDC on this nasty disease:
 http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxoplasmosis/factsht_toxoplasmosis.htm

Additionally, transplant patients should avoid bird feces, as it contains histoplasmosis:
 http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/histoplasmosis_g.htm

Normally, without immune suppression, the average person's immune system will fight off these diseases.  However, the immune suppressed cannot

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 03:37:57 AM »

I didnt think all cats had it?
jdat

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 04:58:10 AM »

This part from the links posted right before answer that:
    * Keep your cat indoors and feed it dry or canned cat food rather than allowing it to have access to wild birds and rodents or to food scraps. A cat can become infected by eating infected prey or by eating raw or undercooked meat infected with the parasite. Do not bring a new cat into your house that might have spent time out of doors or might have been fed raw meat. Avoid stray cats and kittens and the area they have adopted as their "home." Your veterinarian can answer any other questions you may have regarding your cat and risk for toxoplasmosis.
    * Have someone who is healthy and not pregnant change your cat's litter box daily. If this is not possible, wear gloves and clean the litter box every day, because the parasite found in cat feces needs one or more days after being passed to become infectious. Wash your hands well with soap and water afterwards.

to top
Once infected with Toxoplasma is my cat always able to spread the infection to me?

No, cats only spread Toxoplasma in their feces for a few weeks following infection with the parasite. Like humans, cats rarely have symptoms when first infected, so most people do not know if their cat has been infected. The infection will go away on its own; therefore it does not help to have your cat or your cat's feces tested for Toxoplasma.

So technically cats who may have toxoplasma never have it for long.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 05:18:20 AM »

This part from the links posted right before answer that:
    * Keep your cat indoors and feed it dry or canned cat food rather than allowing it to have access to wild birds and rodents or to food scraps. A cat can become infected by eating infected prey or by eating raw or undercooked meat infected with the parasite. Do not bring a new cat into your house that might have spent time out of doors or might have been fed raw meat. Avoid stray cats and kittens and the area they have adopted as their "home." Your veterinarian can answer any other questions you may have regarding your cat and risk for toxoplasmosis.
    * Have someone who is healthy and not pregnant change your cat's litter box daily. If this is not possible, wear gloves and clean the litter box every day, because the parasite found in cat feces needs one or more days after being passed to become infectious. Wash your hands well with soap and water afterwards.

to top
Once infected with Toxoplasma is my cat always able to spread the infection to me?

No, cats only spread Toxoplasma in their feces for a few weeks following infection with the parasite. Like humans, cats rarely have symptoms when first infected, so most people do not know if their cat has been infected. The infection will go away on its own; therefore it does not help to have your cat or your cat's feces tested for Toxoplasma.

So technically cats who may have toxoplasma never have it for long.
Oh good! That is good to know because I refuse to give up my cat! ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 07:29:17 PM »

When Joe went for his transplant evaluation at Mayo, they told him no contact with ANY pets (even ours we've had for years) for 2 months!  Not sure how we're going to work that. 

Joe died July 18, 2007
Panda_9

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 04:17:31 AM »

We have had our cat since he was 6 weeks old and has always been an indoor cat. The only times he has been outside is if he accidentally got out, in which case we catch him and bring him back in. Nearly lost him one night  :-\ We do take him outside occasionally just for some fresh air and sunshine and a nibble at the grass. He isn't allowed to roam free though, as he probably wouldn't come back.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »

Awwwww, i miss my cat, he ran away the day we moved into our new home.  Sneaky little critters arent they..  I admire you Amber and all those who love their pets.  On behalf of the pets, i thank you....

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Panda_9

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »

Oh no goofinya thats terrible. Our kitty knows exactly when you are going out the door, he knows the sounds, and he knows if you have shoes on and keys in your hand you are going outside. He is a very active cat in nature, unlike alot of cats Ive come across that are very placid and are happy to stay indoors. We are very very careful every time we go out the door. You get to know his moves and how quickly you need to get out the door. We are lucky because our front door goes into the garage (i know stupid eh? lol), and if he gets out, well its not hard to catch him. We do spoil him rotten, but I still feel bad about keeping him indoors. If he was capable of staying in or close to our yard I would be more than happy to let him have a stroll in the yard. But noooo that wouldn't happen.
 I have a strong belief that animals are either in or out, not both. I don't mean you cant let them out at all, but I don't like seeing animals wandering around, especially dogs. Twice now I have been confronted by a bull terrier while I was walking or riding. The first time I was on my bike and this dog was about to bite me and I had to scream out, as the friggen owners obviously weren't bothered that their dog was barking at my feet. The next time I was walking and there was a dog wandering around (different dog) and he was coming towards me barking, thank god some dude was in the front yard and told it to piss off lol It cowered and ran away PHEW. Sorry I have gone off topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »