I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Heart Stress Test
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heart Stress Test  (Read 7679 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: October 23, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »

The transplant center just called me and they need a "Stress Test" on my heart.  I can either do the treadmill or medication that will make my heart race.  Oh Joy!

Anyone had a stress test?  I've had the heart cath and NEVER again will I do that.

:wine;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:33:45 PM »

I just did the chemical test and it was no fun but a little shorter than than the other way.

You still have to do the treadmill but only 3 minutes with the chemical one. You get really uncomfortable hot but only briefly.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »

Rerun, I have had both. Transplant center wants one every year.  The chemical one wasn't as bad as I anticipated.  It did freak me out when they brought in a canaster with the nuclear symbol on it and then proceded to inject it into my body!  I did not do any of the treadmill with that one.    The doctor was great and kept making sure I felt ok. It feels a little strange- but not stranger than everything else they put us through.   Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Sending you love!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:01:50 PM »

I tried to do the regular treadmill one, but due to dialysis, I couldn't do it and after a few minutes of trying they quickly saw I couldn't and I did the chemical one. No problems, didn't feel wierd or anything, just hot... but everything went fine. Good luck.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:08:44 PM »

When I had mine, they didn't give me a choice. They used the chemical version and I did not care for it. I wish I did the treadmill. If I have to do it again, I'm not doing it unless it is on a treadmill.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Aldente

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »

I had the chemical test several times.  The two strange things I remember were you are lying on a table rather relaxed and when the drug hits you your heart starts beating like you are running for your life.  It's not uncomfortable, just weird.  The other reaction they warned me about was the feeling that you had to urinate.  They were certainly right about that one.  But, it's only a feeling...no urine.

The reason I had the chemical test was because I do not have the endurance to exercise on the treadmill long enough to reach the required heart rate.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:20:22 PM »

Both of my parents had the chemical test when they were over 80.  Though unpleasant they both said it was not bad.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:23:01 PM »

There must be more than one way to perform the chemical test because I still had to walk the treadmill for 3 minutes. Good Luck Rerun let us know how things go.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »

Rerun, I have had both, too.  The chemical was easier for me.  I really didn't have any bad feelings with it. :thumbup;
I have also had the cath and a stent put in my heart.  Good luck to you. :cuddle;

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »

Rob did the Chemical Test.  He was fine afterwards and would rather do that one than the treadmill (which he did twice before the chemical).

Has anyone read the warnings on the consent sheet?  I remember a couple of them, 1) do not hug your child for more than a few seconds at a time for a full 24 hours and 2) if you go through a metal detector at an airport, the remaining nuclear in your body will set it off. within the 24 hour time period.

The 2nd one cracks me up, but the first one, don't get hug your child for more than a few seconds, yikes!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »

I have had one done and it was when i was admitted in the hospital, they were great, never left my side (cuz i was shittin' bricks) sorry folks, but it is true,  i was more scared of all the things they were telling me than the actual shot itself, and it was no problem, felt a little silly for being so scared though,  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »

I've done both types as well.  The adenosine stress test is the one that is drug induced.  It is a really strange feeling to be lying still yet have your heart and head pounding and your body feeling like you were in the middle of a marathon.  I really enjoyed the part prior to the stress test where they are telling you about what can happen during the test.  "You could have a heart attack"...oh joy!  Most transplant centers require a stress test prior to listing with followups once each year.  When my transplant call came I hadn't had my yearly test at that time (it was scheduled for five days later). They actually thought about not going ahead over that.  I think they heard me when I started in with the "come on guys"!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:18:09 PM by livecam » Logged
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 08:03:34 PM »

Question about the treadmil - Do you walk at a fast pace or at an incline, or both?  How fast do you usually have to go?

I'll be doing my cardiology work-up in January.  I have to have a dental thing done and get a letter of clearance first and I suspect that will all be taken care of in December.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:04 PM »

They start by doing an echocardiogram, then you get on the treadmill-on an incline, walking at first, then gradually they increase the speed. You are walking at a good clip for several minutes.  Then you quickly lie down again and they do another echocardiogram for comparison.  I was fine during the first one, but the next year had a very hard time, so they scheduled the adenosine stress test.   Again, every center does things different--this was just my experience.  Good luck on the rest of the evaluations.   :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 10:33:56 PM »

OK, thanks you guys.  I'm definately going to try the tread mill first.  I don't like "uncomfortable, hot, weird".   I think I would freak out if my heart was racing and I was laying down.  Maybe they could put me out for this. 

I haven't scheduled it yet.  I wish I would decide wheather I really want another transplant and just be done with all this crap.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:36:51 AM »

Rerun, if you have to do the induced chemical test, just remember that the unknown is always worse than the reality.  I don't like not being in control, so really didn't want to do it. But, it was fine and they talked to me through the whole prosess and now I can do it again with no fear.   You are a strong lady and can do anything.  You will probably get through the tread mill just fine.  Let us know! We worry about you. :grouphug;

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »

Yes, i have to admit, them being there in the room with me comforted me alot, they said they even had the best cardiologist working that day in case anything went wrong  :-\  (see why i was so damn scared) lol, but thank goodness everything went fine  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
st789

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 04:27:31 PM »

I did the tread mill.  Do not force ur. self if the pace become too fast.
carolynt

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »

I just saw your note and I just had a stress test this past Monday.  This is for the kidney transplant which I hope after this test and my colonoscoy I will get on.  I was doing the treadmill but after 6 minutes I could not finish so they used the nuclear drug.  They make it sound like you are a walking atomic bomb.  Both were fine for me no side effects.   From reading the notes I did not realize you need to take one every year for a transplant.  One thing is that found a small blockage.  My doctor said not to worry as long as I have no chess pain.  He isnt sure how the Kidney Transplant team will use that information.  I hope they think it wont affect the transplant.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 07:52:34 PM »

That would definetly be something to bring up to the transplant team, i would hate for you to be ready to get a transplant and then they stop because of the blockage.  Dont be afraid to ask all the questions you need to, i think it will benefit you in the long run.  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 06:37:56 AM »

I just saw your note and I just had a stress test this past Monday.  This is for the kidney transplant which I hope after this test and my colonoscoy I will get on.  I was doing the treadmill but after 6 minutes I could not finish so they used the nuclear drug.  They make it sound like you are a walking atomic bomb.  Both were fine for me no side effects.   From reading the notes I did not realize you need to take one every year for a transplant.  One thing is that found a small blockage.  My doctor said not to worry as long as I have no chess pain.  He isnt sure how the Kidney Transplant team will use that information.  I hope they think it wont affect the transplant.

When I had my stress test for my evaluation to get on the list, they found I had a very leaky valve... I still got on this list though... so goodluck hun!!  :cuddle;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 01:05:06 PM »

There's a choice??!! When I had a stress test done about 5 years ago, I wasn't given a choice! I had to do the treadmill test and they made me run, which was hell! Not only was my hemoglobin at 9.1, but I also have a bad knee! I literally, almost had a heart attack, plus nearly threw out my knee again. I'd better get a choice this time! Drugs all the way baby!!   :2thumbsup;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 08:00:50 PM »

I think every doctor would prescribe a normal stress test first.  When I couldn't complete the tread mill test,  the doctor then scheduled the other type. It is nuclear radiation they inject into you. Although it is safe enough, they would prefer a normal treadmill test if at all possible. 

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 10:43:07 PM »

They may make you do a heart catheter.  It wasn't that fun for me and after I had that I never peed again.  The dye does a number on your kidneys.  It showed a blockage, but also showed that my body grew new veins around the blockage.  If enough blood is getting to the heart then you are a go. 

Good luck.

I'll be running on that tred mill away from the nucular needle.

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »

I can't offer any advice Rerun because I have never had a stress test. But I would like to wish you luck running!   :P      :cuddle;

I agree with ;
I'll be running on that tread mill away from the nucular needle.

If I am ever asked to do one. I have already declined doing a contrast scan on the grounds of loosing the last bit of function. If it is not life threating that I don't do the scan then I am not having it!

In relation to getting on the Transplant list, I don't think it is a requirement to do a stress test down here. I didn't do one.
Did any of the other Aussies have to?

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »