I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Renal Dietitians
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Renal Dietitians  (Read 8486 times)
kevno

« on: May 18, 2006, 02:40:34 PM »

A Renal Dietitian, was sent around to see me today. Who the Hell do they think they are. Been given a diet sheet called "Build Yourself up" They bring the same flyer's out each time. The same information, that you know inside out anyway.The same questions, what do you eat during the day, not a clue what I said. I know that I have lost near 6kg. The Dietitian wants me to start on Calogen, which if she would have read my notes. Makes me sick. She came just as I was having the first does of pethidine 100mg So for most of the time she was there it was a total waste of time. I was on a different planet. I feel so frustrated, not being able to say what I wanted to say to her.  >:(

I am now sat here at home reading all the useless information that I have been given. Looks like I must have agreed to anything that the Dietitian said. Need to change that.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »

Oh Kevno,
Being wasted while talking to the dietician is sometimes the only way to go.  I am on the other extreme trying to lose weight, but not very good at it.  The renal diet contradicts almost everything a healthy heart diet tells you to eat. No whole grains, too many fruits are bad, to much green leafy stuff and the potassium goes up. So what the hell are you supposed to do? I have no idea. So I eat what I want when I want. Just watch the stupid stuff like high potassium foods. Everything has phosphorous in it. I think they want us on a rice cakes and water diet. Oh no, not water, I forgot. Fluid restricted.
AAAARGH!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 07:41:11 PM »

The renal diet contradicts almost everything a healthy heart diet tells you to eat.

I know, isn't that frustrating?  I know I don't deal with it myself, but trying to cook for my husband, who is not shy about complaining about bad food (like my dry chicken breasts  >:D), and keep him happy while at the same time try to make it as good for him as possible, is incredibly difficult.  I know the dieticians are just passing on the information, but I highly doubt they have ever tried to live on that stupid diet.  They wouldn't make it one day!

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:42 PM »

I could rant and rave, but they would just shove a rice cake in my mouth and tell me to move on!
I will have a diet rant one day when I finally break down and decide to let go about it!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kevno

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 01:30:18 PM »

Seen another dietitian today  :o She said I could eat or drink anything I wanted too. WOW ;D Only thing is I do not feel like eating or drinking anything  ??? Not to sure what anything is  :-\ Being in pain is good for loosing weight. Now lost 7kg 12% of my body mass. But would not reccommend being in pain as a diet ;)

Well the Surgeon is back from his HOLIDAY next week, must get this pain sorted out. It is going on for to long now. Should have had to operation on the 10th April nearly two months, on a lot of pain killers. At least I get a good nights sleep, plus most of the day  ::)

Kevno

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 08:44:53 PM »

Oh Kevno. I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well.  Pain sucks!  I had headaches for ten to twelve years every day of my life until I went to a chiropractor and he put my neck back where it was supposed to be.   I know this is not the same as your pain, but I know how pain feels when it is your constant partner.  Your brain has no way of getting away from it and it wears and tears on every part of you.  Because you can't get away from it you become irritable and cross, yet noone really understands.  They want you to take a pain pill and shut up already.  I do not agree with that at all!  I hope just knowing we care about you helps.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 08:32:26 AM »

I lost a lot of weight (dropped from 140 to 112 lbs) when I was in so much pain that I could not even stand up straight (Peritonitis). Being switched to hemo and having to be on a more strict diet because of that I finally blew up at my dietitian. I am very poor and had to claim bankruptcy. My mom not being able to remember my diet and thinking what is healthy bought me a 4L thing of milk. My phosphate was high even though just the month before when I was malnourished because of the pain I had been in it was perfect. She gave me heck for it being high in the 2nd month. I got mad at her and said how would she like to live this life where you are in pain and lose weight and then when you are doing better family tries to help you out but gets you stuff you shouldn't have but are so poor you can't turn it down? How would she like to be told she cannot have chocolate or milk or icecream or cheese or bananas or oranges or orange juice or lettuce even? And not just for a short diet to lose weight but for over 5 years?

Now she is nicer to me.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »

Good for you Angieskidney,  i dont see how they can think it is so easy for us,  i wonder what they would do if they were on the "renal diet"  you know they would be doing the same darn thing,  Good for you, i am glad you let her have it....we go through too much already dammit.... lol

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 11:53:37 PM »

Good for you Angieskidney,  i don't see how they can think it is so easy for us,  i wonder what they would do if they were on the "renal diet"  you know they would be doing the same darn thing,  Good for you, i am glad you let her have it....we go through too much already dammit.... lol
Oh ya .. sometimes I post and forget things I wanted to include! One nurse told me that some of the nurses in a class had to go on a 3-day renal diet .. and guess what? They all failed! Not even ONE passed!! This was back in nursing school.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kevno

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 04:35:43 PM »

I would have liked to see the nurses go on the renal diet in the 70's a 20 gramme protein diet. Hunt the meat on the plate. But they might have made it with all the boiled sweets we had to eat. 4 spoonful of sugar in a cup of tea. Glucose powder sprinkled over the food. It was just sugar/fat, then more sugar/fat. Then it had to change because even the children were getting bad hearts because of the very high sugar/fat intake. Only double cream. Only best butter, and heaps of sugar. Sounds good, but it was terrible to be on. You got fed up of all the sugar. All the sweet you could have, but only boiled sweets. Our teeth took a hammering, more fillings than teeth.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 06:23:24 PM »

I would have liked to see the nurses go on the renal diet in the 70's a 20 gramme protein diet. Hunt the meat on the plate. But they might have made it with all the boiled sweets we had to eat. 4 spoonful of sugar in a cup of tea. Glucose powder sprinkled over the food. It was just sugar/fat, then more sugar/fat. Then it had to change because even the children were getting bad hearts because of the very high sugar/fat intake. Only double cream. Only best butter, and heaps of sugar. Sounds good, but it was terrible to be on. You got fed up of all the sugar. All the sweet you could have, but only boiled sweets. Our teeth took a hammering, more fillings than teeth.
wow they must have changed that by the 80's when I ended up in the children's hospital

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kevno

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:43:41 AM »

Missed out on the changes to the renal diet from early 81 to may 88, When I had to go back on the renal diet. The changes WOW  :o 10x better than it was.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »