I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can't SLEEP!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't SLEEP!!  (Read 27861 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: May 16, 2006, 03:22:03 AM »

It is almost 3:30 AM and I have not slept a wink!  I'm fidgety all over.  My legs, arms, hands, feet!!!  I HATE this.  I took a sleeprelief pill and a 2mg of Valium!  Nothing!  I want to sleep but can't.  HELP!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:08:00 PM by Rerun » Logged

susie q

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 05:05:34 AM »

I can totally relate to that Rerun...  I haven't had a decent sleep since I started dialysis..
I sleep maybe 1 or 2 hours at nite then just toss and turn the rest of the night... sleep aids don't work for me either...  >:(    I don't know what to do anymore...  so tired during the day...
Maybe a nice BIG glass of warm milk??  haha...  not likely...  ;)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »

Oh shucks. My post was one that was lost. Oh well... I sleep like a rock most days. However I think work takes it out of me more than usual. When I am off of work I tend to switch my days and nights around. Can't sleep at night, try to sleep all day. Hate that!  Have to stop watching stupid stuff on TV and DVD. 
Suggestions:
     Get the Sandman to clobber you with a two by four.
No...seriously.... Find ways to relax before bedtime.  Chamomile tea is nice.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
geoffcamp

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 08:37:54 PM »

rerun, I never sleep for more then a few hours at a time it is frustrating to say the least i just lay there and stare at the tv or celling!  If you find away to resolve this let me know.. I take xanax and restril and still max of 3 hour of sleep.  I am always tired and very irritable I would hate to be around me!  I understand how you feel
Geoff

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
kevno

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:18:56 AM »

Rerun tried closing your eyes >:D Only jokeing ;)

I think most of us have trouble in sleeping, I had a DVD film in this morning at 3am. It's horrrible not being able to sleep when you want to. >:(

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 03:06:23 AM »

Since I was put on meds for my feet pain, I sleep quite well most nights. I have found it helps me with deep sleeping, and my restless legs have reduced drastically. I dont know if this is just this med, or if its the nocturnal as well.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 08:41:30 PM »

OMG can you imagine two dialysis patients who are married?  One would be up and the other would be asleep and then wake up due to tossing and turning and then they would both be up! 

I am up and down all night and don't want anyone making any noise to disturb any "chance" of sleep!

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 08:57:11 PM »

I slept all night on Wednesday Night.   ;D  A true gift from GOD.  Sleep deprivation has got to be the worst torture one can endure.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:39:19 AM »

Joe's been having trouble with this also.  Constantly tossing and turning, moving from room to room, complaining it's too hot.  Maybe we'll try to get a sleep aid from his nephro.  Couldn't hurt.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
cayleighrose

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:56:38 PM »

My hubby had the same problem several years ago. Restless legs were driving him crazy. The Nephro put him on some meds (i call his Nephro Dr. Feelgood, the guy is an angel) and now hubby sleeps through the night.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 05:25:13 PM »

I spent the weekend in Puerto Rico.  The first two nights I slept like a baby, but for some unknown reason the third night, Sunday night, was nightmarish. I was sleeping for only about 10 to 20 minutes at a time.  Everytime I looked at the clock, it had hardly moved.  And when I did sleep, nonsensical things were going over and over in my mind - like the grade I had given a student. I was so happy when morning came.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 06:51:55 AM »

I had a crap sleep lastnight. I woke up at some stupid hour in the morning freezing my a$$ off. Looks like ill be needing to buy another blanket that I cant afford. I am alright in my own bed, dont get cold at all, but when Im on the machine I get cold. Good thing the kitty was with me, keeping half my leg warm lol
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 11:47:08 AM »

I had a crap sleep lastnight. I woke up at some stupid hour in the morning freezing my a$$ off. Looks like ill be needing to buy another blanket that I cant afford. I am alright in my own bed, dont get cold at all, but when Im on the machine I get cold. Good thing the kitty was with me, keeping half my leg warm lol

Have you tried increasing the temperature of the machine? When I get cold at dialysis I have them increase the temp of the machine.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 05:47:55 PM »

The temp is already on 36, and the tech would have to come out and change it but I dont think you can go any higher than that. Ill just get another blanket.
kevno

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 06:43:05 PM »

I turn my machine down from 37 to 36. Both sorts of machines on the unit you can do this. F4008 and the Gambol AK200

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Panda_9

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 04:11:53 AM »

Im on the AK95.Temp for nocturnal is 36 and in centre is usually 35. I know you can change the temp, but I dont really want too, because some nights I get too hot!! Id rather just rug up a bit more. I like the reduced temp in summer, it makes sleeping on the machine a bit of a treat, because you dont boil your a$$ off all night.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 04:47:06 AM »

I have the same problem, I am in bed by 10 but wake up every day about 3. after a while I can't get back to sleep so I end up being the early bird. Funny though,I seem to have no problem sleeping during the day. I take no meds for sleep and do not know if they would work. :) :)

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 10:08:10 AM »

For the past 2 months now I have only sleep for 2 hr intervals. I stopped the RLS pills the Neph gave me and I have actually been able to sleep for 5 hrs a night just lately. Still can't get a full night's rest but the Neph thinks it is the legs jumping that wake me. He won't listen to me when I say they DO jump but they DON'T wake me. I don't know if I am allergic to the new RLS pills but I wake up itching all over and tossing and turning. Sleeping pills have not been able to help and the Neph refuses to give me anything to help me sleep. I do not know why. When I was taking the RLS pills that he put me on I was so tired all day long and not getting good sleep so I stopped it so I could work. I couldn't take them and work. Just couldn't..

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 03:27:49 PM »

there was a period in my life several years ago where i found i couldn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time, no matter what time of day or night it was. and it was several hours awake. i was still working then and it was terrible. slowly i got back to a more normal sleeping pattern.  now that i'm on dialysis that is happening again. i just don't fight it. if it's 3 am i get up use the computer, do a soduku or read til i can go back to sleep. i usually get up for the day around 7 to 9 am and many days take a one to two hour nap. even if i don't nap during the day i never sleep all night. i have thought about sleeping pills, the doctor has asked if i want them. but i couldn't take them on dialysis nights. i'd have to go to bed at 7pm, as i get up at 4am for dialysis. i've just given up.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 05:49:55 PM »

Hubby sleeps like a baby some nights and other nights it is awful.  He is up roaming the house.  He had to stop nocturnal for a while because of lack of sleep.  He hooks up to the machine about 7 a.m now  for 3.5 hrs and as soon as he is hooked up he is snoring.  The past 2 nights he has been awake a lot which usually means I don't get a good sleep either.  He is fidgety, RLS, hungry - has go go have a snack, etc.  He has always been like this but he has always had kidney failure as well.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:31 PM »

I've been trying over the counter sleeping pills but they don't work. I think my Doctor is getting tired of me asking for something everytime I see him but I need to get sleep. So next visit guess what? I'm asking for another script to knock my azz out.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 06:50:14 PM »

I used to take benadryl to help me sleep, but now, it seems when i take it, i still dont get adequate sleep and i am so groggy and grumpy, the one thing that sometimes helps me when i normally wake up early i make myself go back to sleep, but now, i make myself stay awake and i dont nap during the day, yes, i still get grumpy but hey, as long as i am getting some sleep at night right?  :P  lol,  please have pity for those around me, those poor souls  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 10:00:17 PM »

Sleeping tablets can become a dialysis patients best friend.

I take them while on nocturnal every second night, don't need them the other night, only take them cause my life was getting to the stage I couldn't function.

I don't wake up after taking them feeling crappy, actually wake up feeling I have had a good nights sleep.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 10:13:25 PM »

I've been trying over the counter sleeping pills but they don't work. I think my Doctor is getting tired of me asking for something everytime I see him but I need to get sleep. So next visit guess what? I'm asking for another script to knock my azz out.
Ya me too!!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:55 PM »

I had gotten to the point where I was waking every hour.  I wouldn't stay awake, just come awake, look at my watch, then go back to sleep again.  I didn't like it since I felt that somehow, it wasn't the best for my body.  But that seemed to have been a phase.  Since last week, I have been sleeping through until morning.  Sometimes I wake (like now), come out and read my emails, post on IHD, etc. and then return to bed and complete my night's sleep.  But I really feel better not waking every hour, as I was doing.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »