I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can't SLEEP!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't SLEEP!!  (Read 27863 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »

i've just given up. i'm awake when i'm awake, even if it's at 3am. and i sleep whenever i'm tired.  naps or at night. but then i don't work and i can do whatever i want.  if i wake up at 3am, i'm up, i read, or do sudokus or get on the computer.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 07:08:14 PM »

i've just given up. i'm awake when i'm awake, even if it's at 3am. and i sleep whenever i'm tired.  naps or at night. but then i don't work and i can do whatever i want.  if i wake up at 3am, i'm up, i read, or do sudokus or get on the computer.
Sounds like me .. cept I do work .. but only a few hrs per week :P But so few hours helps cuz if I don't sleep well it is not such a big deal :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
sinoxid

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2007, 01:29:58 AM »

I have not been able to sleep for four years But I found a sleeping pill that works-- its Lunesta 3mg. The first time I used it I slept for 10 hours.
George Jung

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2007, 03:19:14 AM »

I have tried three sleep meds.  Temazepam, Ambien (5mg and the CR), and Lunesta (10mg?).  Ambien CR worked the best for me.  The Lunesta worked but had a horrible side effect which left a metallic taste in my mouth into the next day.  If I wanted to give up dairy, Lunesta would be my cure.  I took one sip of milk and thought I was going to loose it, it was truly a horrible taste.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2007, 05:00:54 AM »

I have not been able to sleep for four years But I found a sleeping pill that works-- its Lunesta 3mg. The first time I used it I slept for 10 hours.

Thanks for sharing that sinoxid. I too lack in the sleep department. I have only tried over the counter type sleep aids but I have to take triple the amount recommended to fall asleep but still wake up several times in the middle of the night.
carson

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2007, 05:32:41 AM »

I don't sleep too badly. I think I have my job to thank for that! I work alot and it's very physical, then I have the rest of my life to contend with! I usually try to go to bed by 11 pm and I sleep until 7-8 am. My pets get me up for breakfast. I think I even sleep better than hubby. I do, however, toss and turn a bit because my cat sleeps next to me and she is too hot!!! The nights when I do have a bad sleep and my mother says I look tired I'll simply explain I didn't sleep well. Her response: Why not? Drives me nuts.  :banghead;

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
George Jung

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2007, 10:53:03 AM »

Sluff, I don't know buddy but I think taking 3x recommended dosage is a bad idea.  If you truly having problems try the Ambien, start with 5mg and increase if necessary. :twocents;

carson, true insomnia, I don't believe has to do with weather or not someone holds a job.  I know you probably didn't mean it but it sounds like you think we're lazy or something.  Anyway, you are fortunate to not to have sleep problems, at least any serious ones.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2007, 11:02:29 AM »

The whole time on dialysis (3 yrs) both hemo and PD... I had insomnia. Usually caused from RLS, but alot of the times it wasn't my legs bothering me.. I just couldn't go to sleep.

Ever since I started walking on the treadmill 30 mins a day everyday (only started this a week or 2 ago) I have slept just fine... and through the night.  :thumbup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »

Angela, that's interesting, because since I got more active these past 3 weeks, I have slept somewhat better.
I still have to have an aid to get to sleep, but am sleeping straight through, good restful sleep. I work 40 hours
a week, full time job, so it is necessary for me to get my sleep just to function the next day! It's a cycle, once
I start feeling better, I get more active, which makes me feel even more better, which means I become even more
active...and my sleeping patterns improve. Just gotta feel better first, which I have now done!
George Jung

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2007, 11:36:49 AM »

Angela, are you still on dialysis?   Reports show that RLS (Insomnia) tends to go away with a transplant.  Maybe that is the reason you have relief.  Sorry but I thought your post was misleading.  It sounds like you want to think a treadmill cured your insomnia and that is kinda funny to me since I do tend to do some walking almost daily and still have had problems.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2007, 11:45:15 AM »

Angela, are you still on dialysis?   Reports show that RLS (Insomnia) tends to go away with a transplant.  Maybe that is the reason you have relief.  Sorry but I thought your post was misleading.  It sounds like you want to think a treadmill cured your insomnia and that is kinda funny to me since I do tend to do some walking almost daily and still have had problems.

No, as my signature states, I had a transplant in January. However, I still have RLS. I expected it to go away right away after transplant like my first transplant... however, the 2 transplants are 2 totally different experiences. I also still get regular Insomnia not caused from RLS. I don't think walking on a treadmill has "cured" my insomnia, I was implying that EXERCISE period of any kind, usually helps with insomnia, especially in people like myself, who did basically nothing but sit around for the last 3 years of my life on dialysis. Exercise has been helping me sleep, and when I went for 3 days without doing any walking like that I had trouble sleeping again... so there is definately a link for myself... and I am here to offer advice on what works for me, as it MAY help someone else... don't mean it will... just like everything, not one thing works for us all... :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2007, 11:49:48 AM »

I don't sleep too badly. I think I have my job to thank for that! I work alot and it's very physical, then I have the rest of my life to contend with! I usually try to go to bed by 11 pm and I sleep until 7-8 am. My pets get me up for breakfast. I think I even sleep better than hubby. I do, however, toss and turn a bit because my cat sleeps next to me and she is too hot!!! The nights when I do have a bad sleep and my mother says I look tired I'll simply explain I didn't sleep well. Her response: Why not? Drives me nuts.  :banghead;

I work full time cutting trees, grass and Painting houses, if that don't tire you out nothing will..LOL

Carson also I'm pre dialysis.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »

Although i cant go to sleep until 1 or 2 in the morning, once i am asleep i sleep like a rock.  But that has just been happening recently,  for the longest time i had a very disturbed sleep pattern.  Now that i think of it, makes me worried, lol, hmmmmm,  oh, and let me tell you about all the funky dreams i have been having,  EVERY (and i mean EVERY) night i have the weirdest dreams,  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 01:01:07 PM »

Although i cant go to sleep until 1 or 2 in the morning, once i am asleep i sleep like a rock.  But that has just been happening recently,  for the longest time i had a very disturbed sleep pattern.  Now that i think of it, makes me worried, lol, hmmmmm,  oh, and let me tell you about all the funky dreams i have been having,  EVERY (and i mean EVERY) night i have the weirdest dreams,  :-\

We should start a new thread on dreams, the only thing is if we did that it would have to be x rated for goofyninas dreams plus we couldn't afford the bandwidth.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 01:04:10 PM »

Sad, but oh so true :P   if ya only knew my friends, if ya only knew  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2007, 02:52:46 PM »

Wanna talk about dreams??? I have had some doozies that shocked even me, and I have had some doozies!That's a good idea, we'll start a thread about dreams, and how odd they can be....
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2007, 07:06:19 PM »

We have one already MyssAnne, i have bumped it up in Off Topic,  now lets hear them girlfriend  :popcorn;

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3280.0#bot

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2007, 06:50:30 AM »

I think I am gonna bump myself down to one tylenol pm, I am sleeping HARD lately, and having a hard time waking up,
I feel so cozy and peaceful, I don't wanna wake up! It's been nice, having some good sleep lately though!
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »

I told my PD nurse that i didnt want to take Benadryl anymore cuz of that very reason of not being able to wake up and feeling groggy all day,  I asked her if i could try tylenol PM and she said because it containg Benadryl, i would probably be feeling the same way with it.   :-\  How many do you take?  Do you really fall asleep right after taking it?  Benadryl takes some time to kick in (like 2 hours) and i take 50mg of it.   :o

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 05:17:42 PM »

GoofyNina, I just took one today, when I hooked up about 3 hours ago. I am still awake, darn it. I would normally have taken two. Now I'm not sure what to do. If I should go ahead and take another one or not. Darn it all. I gotta take something. I need to sleep. I hate having insomia.
nextnoel

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2007, 06:11:00 AM »

Benadryl takes some time to kick in (like 2 hours) and i take 50mg of it.   :o
Just goes to show how different each person's chemistry is:  if I take one Benedryl I'm asleep in about 15 minutes, and it feels as if my elbows go loose after about 10 minutes.  But if I take 2 Tylenol PM, it takes me up to 3 hours to go to sleep! 

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »

Nextnoel. Tylenol affects me the same way too, darn it!  I went ahead and took another one, but didn't get to sleep til after midnight. Oh well. It's only one night.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »

I have to admit that the Benadryl is what i miss the most about Hemo,  they used to shoot 50mg in me and i would hold on, feel it coming, then all my insides will get all warm and tingly, slowly my eyes would start closing and then i am OUT!!  Damn, i wish these pills would do that, not even with 75mg can i get that feeling, lol,  maybe i should drink a bottle of liquid benadryl huh?  Hey, does anyone drink the liquid benadryl?  How does that affect you? hmmmm  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
George Jung

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »

I remember getting those Benadryl shots the first week I was on dialysis at the hospital.  They made the treatment a little easier I thought.  Can I request them at the center I go to?
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2007, 03:21:01 PM »

I remember getting those Benadryl shots the first week I was on dialysis at the hospital.  They made the treatment a little easier I thought.  Can I request them at the center I go to?

You should be able to George, and with no problem,  they need to do what they can to make you comfortable.  I was never denied my benadryl (thank God) cuz shit woulda went flying, lol,  ;)  let me know what they say, i am surprised they havent even offerred it to you.  :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »