I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Swimming and PD...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swimming and PD...  (Read 6185 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« on: May 15, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »

I am getting ready to start PD,  Can you tell me if i can swim with PD???  I have read that i can but when i asked the PD staff, they asked me "What did your nephrologist say"  i didnt ask him since i had read that i could, Is there any risks?  I will appreciate any info anyone can give me,    thanks....

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »

I have seen films where you saw people (kids) on PD swimming.  When I was on PD I didn't swim with it.  I think it was winter!

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:29:34 AM »

I myself have never been on PD however I have heard there is special water proof tape that you can place over your access. It's like a BIG patch. I'll look for a link.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
hephziba

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 01:03:42 AM »

in england its called tegaderm, methfilm, I use it when I want to soak in the bath to keep my site dry, there are also some others I think. hope this helps ;D

God who comforts the downhearted comforted me again by your visit.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 06:07:59 AM »

Thank you all for your replies, i feel a little better knowing that i MIGHT have a chance.  I am looking forward to swimming as apart of my weight loss regimen "rocky music playing" (EYE OF THE TIGER, EYE OF THE TIGER)  lol...  I am telling ya, i just love this site and all of you, i am looking forward to more discussions with you all.  Your a great support group and that already has made a difference in my life.  Keep up the good work all of you and keep your heads up!!!   

www.kidneyoogle.com
Ginger

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:44:38 AM »

Nina,
I go swimming and have been on PD for almost 2yrs. I use an ostomy bag to cover my tube and exit site so they do not come in contact with the water. I have restricted my swimming to a chlorinated pool so far. Swimming is great exercise and I put off beginning dialysis as long as possible since I did not want to give it up. I did stop swimming for the first 3months after the PD tube was placed so that the site would have a chance to heal well first. I have heard of others who do not cover the site but swim only in chlorinated pools or the ocean. There is always a way to do something that you really want to do!     Ginger
Panda_9

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »

We were given colostomy bags too. I could never get the damn thing on though, so I didnt bother. Oh I went to the beach once, and just sat in the waves in my clothes and had a shower as soon as I got home. Naughty I know, but it was soooo hot, and we had a long drive home.
sandlcandles

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »

I have a catheter in my chest and my friend is wanting me to go swimming with her. Can I swim?
Chicken Little

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:03:14 PM »

I have a catheter in my chest and my friend is wanting me to go swimming with her. Can I swim?

I was told I could not swim when I had a chest catheter.  Check with your doctor though. 
keefer51

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:27:06 PM »

Sandcandles. I went through seven chest catheters because of them getting wet. With those they tell you not to swim or take a shower. When i had mine i came up with all kind of ideas so i could take a shower. I have a stall shower so i didn't have a choice. I am also very hairy and in the summer when i would sweat it didn't help. I have recently inquired about pd and was told i could take a shower and swim. I was also told with pd not to swim in a pond or lake. I have a fistula that works fine now.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:25:25 AM »

Sandcandles, i would highly recommend you discuss this with your neph, i was told NOT to get my chest catheter wet EVER!!!   :-\

www.kidneyoogle.com
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 01:28:46 AM »

Are you talking about a PD tenkoff or presternal catheter or a bloodline catheter for Haemo access? The answer will differ. It is best to run it past your clinic either way. They will give you information on how to dress the site.

Here is a link to presternal catheters.   http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=960.0

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »