I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant Questions From Potential Donors
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant Questions From Potential Donors  (Read 2032 times)
George Jung

« on: September 21, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »

Need some help here gang.  I am beginning my campaign for a living donor kidney and I have some questions that need answering.  I will also be asking my transplant coordinator since some questions will be patient specific but you all are so smart and knowledgeable I know you will be a great help.  Thank you in advance, George

From aunt in southern California:
Would I be referred to a medical group out here from UNC  or would I find my own and have them work with UNC?
Who would pay for the costs?
What would the costs be for me to find out?
How long would I need to be in NC to do the transplant and the recovery?
Could I do the post-surgery visits in CA?
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 06:09:33 PM »

Need some help here gang.  I am beginning my campaign for a living donor kidney and I have some questions that need answering.  I will also be asking my transplant coordinator since some questions will be patient specific but you all are so smart and knowledgeable I know you will be a great help.  Thank you in advance, George

Would I be referred to a medical group out here from UNC  or would I find my own and have them work with UNC?
What would the costs be for me to find out?

Tough to answer because every situtation is different but let me try to do my best.

The transplant center in North Carolina would likely arrange to have blood drawn in California and mailed to NC where it would be tested.  I want to say that there would be no cost to your potential donor for doing this.

Whether the evaluation of the potential donor could be handled in California or if she would have to travel to NC for that would be determined by your local transplant center there.  The medical costs of the evaluation would be fully covered but any transportation, living, incidental expenses, and lost income would not be.

The costs of the living donor donation surgery and hospital stay are fully covered.  Your donor should have no out of pocket expenses for that.

The time needed in North Carolina would depend on how your donor is doing after the transplant and how much follow-up the transplant center wants to do.  Since she is from out of state it could be anywhere from 1-3 weeks but that could change too depending on the dynamics of the situation.

I think she could do post surgery visits in California if the transplant center in NC would allow it and if the proper arrangements could be made in California.

I'm by no means an expert in living donation but I did have some potential donors so we did look into what would be required.  Hope that helps a little.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »

My experience is with Johns Hopkins.  They sent two blood tests kits, one to potential donor one to me.  There were very specific when the blood could be drawn and we had to co-ordinate what days we did it.  They had to be sent overnight back to Johns Hopkins so both arrived within a small time frame.  They sent prepaid FedEx boxes. There was no cost to either of us, except co-pay if required. We each went to our normal place to have the blood drawn. 

The donor must have insurance, but only because if they find something else wrong with the donor, they would need their insurance to deal with it.  The recepients insurance covers the donors hospital expenses.

We were told to allow 1 or 2 weeks before leaving the area, just to make sure they are recovering fine.

Almost everything can be done by a doctor in California working with your transplant team here.

Alot of people do fundraising and there is a great organization that can help with that.  Monies raised help with transportation, housing, and medical expenses. They help with ideas and then with distributing the money. It is a non-profit organization, so it is a tax deduction and it can all be done online. That way people all around the country can donate without being here, use their credit cards and get a tax write off!  Can you tell I have been looking into this alot?

Your Aunt would not have much out of pocket expenses.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »

These were my experiences with this.

They would send blood test kits and they could be done at the potential donors doctor. If they wanted them done somewhere specifically they would say so.

The donor's insurance would come into effect here and they would pay whatever co-pays they normally pay to have these tests done. As for the transplant itself, the recipients insurance pays for the hospital expenses and surgery for the donor.

1-3 weeks, every persons situation is different.

Yes, they should be able to do everything at your primary doctor's office.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »

The recipient's insurance or Medicare usually pays all medical costs for the donor's medical evaluation, surgery, hospitalization, anesthesia, doctors' fees, initial pain medication and follow up care.  Some costs are not picked up though by recipients insurance or medicare.  They are things like transportation and time lost from work.  Some donors insurance may cover those however.  Also if the tests for the donor show any pre existing problems the donor then may be asked to pay for any addition tests that are above and beyond what normal donor testing is for organ donation.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »