I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:22:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  I'm in awe
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm in awe  (Read 3141 times)
dhuston

« on: May 04, 2006, 08:51:07 AM »

I work for a consulting company in the healthcare division.  I'm on a project for a company that is looking at a pain relief product for needle sticks.  I've e-mailed some of you about this.  I thought I should introduce myself.

When I started this project I knew nothing about hemodialysis.  Boy, did my eyes open wide.  You people are awesome.  I can't imagine going through what you go through.  My wife lost a kidney to cancer about 15 years ago.  So far the other kidney is doing OK but after getting to know you through this site I'll make sure her doctor watches her closely.  She also has diabetes. 

Anyway, I know most people have no idea what hemodialysis is all about and I don't know half of what you go through.  I do know that I hope I have half the courage you show when I'm faced with something like this.  My thoughts are with you all.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »

Doug, I took your survey.  If you can find a better way to make needle sticks more comfortable, more power to you.  Some people can stick their own needles and they don't feel anything.  That is the power of control over your own dialysis.  I, on the other hand, am not there yet.  I dread every dialysis session because I worry about the needles going in and getting a good flow. 

I hope your wife never has to go on dialysis.  People can do fine on one kidney.  Even 50% of one gets you through. 

During your research, if you could pass this site along to those you meet it would be appreciated.

dhuston

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:10:56 PM »

I'll try to keep people informed about this.  And I will pass on the site info to others.
kevno

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »

I agree with Rerun. That is one of the only things that as never changed about haemo Those Bloody needles, since I first went on Haemo in 1977.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Naggy6

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 09:38:39 PM »

I'll try to keep people informed about this.  And I will pass on the site info to others.

The more people know and understand what dialysis is really like the better chance that some one will donate organs, so spread the word far and wide.   ;)

Welcome aboard the site and I too hope your wife never has to be one of the patients.

My sister only has one kidney (she gave on to me) any way she had a baby not even a year later so I know people can do good with only one.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
dhuston

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 09:36:31 AM »

Thanks for the kind words.  If you all don't mind, I need to have a few (6) people new to hemodialysis, whether you use pain relief (2) for needle sticks or not (4) to take an on-line survey about pain during needle sticks.  The company we have contracted with is attempting to market a needle-free, non-cream product and we are attempting to find out if the market wants it or not.  We've talked with doctors, nurses and advocacy groups already.  The  product is in clinic trials at the moment so it's not available and still needs FDA approval, etc.  All we are doing is gathering information to present to the company.  The on-line survey takes about 15-20 minutes and we send out a $50.00 honorarium, in the form of an American Express gift card, to complete it.  E-mail me at doug.huston@frost.com for the link to the survey.

I've passed along this site's information to patients who already have completed the survey, so, hopefully, you will have a new person or two come on-board.

I really appreciate your help and having read through many of your messages you have opened my eyes very wide.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »