I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Now I need cataract surgery!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now I need cataract surgery!  (Read 7301 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: October 25, 2007, 03:11:49 PM »

I went to the eye doctor today (this really is how my eyes look right now-- :o) and found out I need to have surgery for a cataract in my right eye! This sucks! And to make matters worse, I already need glasses for distance and once I have the surgery, I'll need reading glasses as well. Bi-focals at 30!   :(  I need to stop going to the doctors. Every time I do, they tell me something else is wrong! That's it. I'm boycotting doctors!  ::)

EDITED:  Moved post to proper thread "Other Severe Medical Conditions" - Goofynina/Admin.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 03:14:40 PM by goofynina » Logged

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:16:16 PM »

Sorry to hear that Paddbear, that is one of the main reasons i try my damndest to avoid seeing the doctor, lol, seems like all i get is bad news  :thumbdown;  When are you going to get it done?  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 03:47:57 PM »

1 eye at a time Paddbear, make sure one is completely healed before you get the other one done. My MIL had one done and the botched it up and now she can't see too good out of that eye.

It's rare that this happens but what if? right?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »

Good luck! I need cornea transplants in both eyes... but cannot get them until my dry eyes are situated, and I doubt that will happen in my lifetime.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:28:34 PM »

1 eye at a time Paddbear, make sure one is completely healed before you get the other one done. My MIL had one done and the botched it up and now she can't see too good out of that eye.

Same thing happened with my mom.  After the botched surgery she was so afraid she waited several years to get the other one done.  But, it was a breeze and eyesight is now 20/20 in that eye!  (Different doc)  The botched eye has improved from 20/200 a month after the original surgery, to 20/40 now, but in order to get rid of the "clouds/fog" she sees all of the time, (caused by the scarring) she'll need a cornea transplant.

Don't mean to scare you Paddbear, but be careful which doc you let do the surgery.  We have since met two other people who had bad results from that original doc.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Sorry to hear that Paddbear, that is one of the main reasons i try my damndest to avoid seeing the doctor, lol, seems like all i get is bad news  :thumbdown;  When are you going to get it done?  :cuddle;

I don't know. It's not really bothering my vision except for at night, and I've been avoiding driving at night for a while now anyway. The doc said I have time to think about it, however I should have it done before I need to start dialysis, as that's just more to deal with at one time. I've already had surgery done on both of my eyes about 5 years ago due to blood leaking in them. That surgery entailed 3 instruments being stuck all the way in my eye (one being a gullotene like cutting tool!), o I'm not too nervouse about it. This surgery actually seems a lot simpler and minor in comparison!

I only have a cataract in my right eye! I'll need one lens to be a bi-focal and one only for distance! How weird! As far as the doctor, I have plenty of faith in him. He's one of the best in the area and is actually the eye doctor for Dayton's minor league baseball team. They have to have a good doctor!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 12:28:57 PM »

Good luck with the surgery  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:44:18 PM »

Bi-focals at 30!   

Glasses are very advanced now, and nobody can tell who has bi-folcals or not.. my mom has Tri-focals, and you wouldn't know unless you asked her.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »

I have been lucky with all the surgeries I have had with my bad eyes due to diabetes. Well there was one exception, I awoke during surgery and I can't get that out of my memory. Lay still they said, yeah right, how can I do that especially when your now telling me. Anyway, I have had the cataract surgery and will be getting another one on my remaining good eye. If I remember right, your going to school too, if my memory is correct, schedule surgery around that. You may need time off from studying to let the eye heal. The cataract surgery was easier than having a detached retina and vitrectomy surgeries. Just make sure your blood sugar is in control and have eye pressure checked. Also if you have any, I many any pain, call ASAP. If you carry a Medic Alert bracelet, let them know to for their records, they ask for the serial number of the implant which the doctor has and if he/she is like mine, gives you the card with all that information from the manufacture.
Good Luck,
Chris

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 09:09:09 AM »

If I remember right, your going to school too, if my memory is correct, schedule surgery around that.

Yeah, I'm in school and thought about that. I'm just very frustrated right now, because I do graphic design which relies heavily on good eye sight and perfect color visualization. All of this is really messing with both of those things!

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 01:09:17 PM »

Not really if you are gonna do graphic design via a computer. There is software available for low vision, but cataract surgery will not change color percption. Laser treatments already has done that by smoothing down the rods and cones on the retina. With some of the low vision software available, you can invert brightness (colors), reverse video, and a few other color options to help distinguish colors. If you want to try one of the softwares out, here is a 30 day free trial program called ZoomText at  http://www.aisquared.com/Products/index.cfm
Don't let it get you down, you can adapt, we are good at doing that sort of thing.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »

Not really if you are gonna do graphic design via a computer. There is software available for low vision, but cataract surgery will not change color percption. Laser treatments already has done that by smoothing down the rods and cones on the retina. With some of the low vision software available, you can invert brightness (colors), reverse video, and a few other color options to help distinguish colors. If you want to try one of the softwares out, here is a 30 day free trial program called ZoomText at  http://www.aisquared.com/Products/index.cfm
Don't let it get you down, you can adapt, we are good at doing that sort of thing.

My color vision is already altered due to the cataracts and the large number of laser surgeries I had because of the macular edema from retinopathy. The doc said it's not correctable from the laser surgeries. He also said the cataract could be part of the problem because it adds a slight yellow tinge to your vision!

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »

But the cataract surgery will help a little. Unfortunately the laser helps yet damages the eye. With me I have a hard time with telling the difference in blue and blacks, varying orange and reds, and light colors. Yellow highlighters do not do me any good, can't see it. However I adapt with various tools. Your college maybe able to help also in their student accommodations center. Tell them your eye trouble and they may have adaptive equipment to use while you are attending. You may need documentation from your doctor in order to be in their accommodation program. They may also go by a different name, so ask someone in the main office or check the schools website.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »

Thanks for the info Chris! BTW, my biggest trouble seems to be distinguishing certain shades of yellow and pink. My husband thinks it's hilarious!  :urcrazy;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »

I have that problem to depending on what I am looking at. On the computer it is harder to distinguish without software help, on clothes, not so much, on paper it depends on contrast. Sometimes I have to look at things longer to distinguish color variations.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 04:44:51 PM »

Over here in Saipan, Northern Mariana Island. We have a very great eye doctor, top U.S. Opthalmologist, Dr. Khorram. You can visit his blog site and/or e-mail him of your eye problems. He is such a wonderful doctor and really serves anyone in the truest sense of service. He had my mother's eye lens replaced. Please check him out, he can refer you to his colleagues or offer his advice. I am not talking about just a plain doctor, he really would help you. His blog site: marianaseye.blogspot.com

cris

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »