I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:31:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  CKD Symptoms, Hemoglobin/Hemocrit Counts/Dry
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CKD Symptoms, Hemoglobin/Hemocrit Counts/Dry  (Read 2408 times)
donnyecarr1

« on: September 12, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »

I'm still learning about the dialysis process and symptoms because of my dad and most of the time he doesn't seem to feel good.  He is doing PD, and I help set up the machine, inventory, etc.

What is considered a low hemoglobin count?  What does it mean when it says the patient is dry after getting treatment?  Is the solution increased because enough toxins does not come out of your body?  Is shortness of breath a common symptom?

EDITED:   Moved post to proper thread "Home Dialysis" - Goofynina/Admin.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:01:44 PM by goofynina » Logged
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:59:50 PM »

I'm still learning about the dialysis process and symptoms because of my dad and most of the time he doesn't seem to feel good. He is doing PD, and I help set up the machine, inventory, etc.

What is considered a low hemoglobin count? What does it mean when it says the patient is dry after getting treatment? Is the solution increased because enough toxins does not come out of your body? Is shortness of breath a common symptom?

I believe 10 and under is considered low.  Being dry means that the patient is not dwelling fluid.  Yes, that is the reason why they increase the solution and/or dwell time, to remove more fluid and toxins.  Shortness of breath could be an indication that there is fluid in his lungs, he maybe retaining the fluid.  Is he on CAPD or CCPD (ambulatory or Cycler)?   with CAPD, your dwells are longer, if you are considered a high transporter (where after a short period of time your body re-absorbs the fluid) they will switch you to a cycler, that will give you more dwells but for shorter periods of time.  I hope i didnt confuse you.  Please dont hesitate to ask anything, :)   Good luck to you and your dad  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
donnyecarr1

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »

Thanks for the information.  Dad is on the cycler at home for 9 hours at night.  He does 6L (yellow + green) for 12000.  He also does one manual dwell.

Is he suppose to be dry or is that not good?  Also, do you take Epogen or Aranesp or feel anyone is any better.  It just seems like dad is weak, tired alot and doesn't have the energy for the quality of life he wants.  Sometimes he is so difficult to deal with.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »