I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Which transplant hospital/clinic did you use?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which transplant hospital/clinic did you use?  (Read 13032 times)
Roxy

« on: September 11, 2007, 04:48:49 PM »

I was thinking since a lot of people sometimes need to "shop" around and it can get very frustrating and uneasy trying to figure out where they are comfortable to do a transplant, we could start a list talking about which hospital/clinic we used and the pros/cons, plus possibly any other ones we might have tried and why those were not chosen. And any other additional info that might be helpful to future recipients.

I went to Swedish Medical Center in Seattle. They have the non-steroid protocol option plus they are constantly doing research projects which sometimes involve steroids if people are more comfortable with that. The transplant team was great and always on the ball. They are very picky about the patients because they are extremely concerned about people screwing up their statistics. However, this makes them also very attentive with the care they provide. Overall, I'm happy with them  :2thumbsup;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 04:58:03 PM »

Hi Roxy,
Swedish was one of the hospitals we were going to multiple list at if nothing happened with the living donor. Jenna was listed with California Pacific Hopspital in San Francisco, USC in Los Angeles, and ultimately got her transplant at Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla, CA. Scripps was wonderful, from the very first contact all the way through to nearly 8 months post-op now.

You can also view current and historical information accumulated about individual transplant centers --> http://www.unos.org/data/about/viewDataReports.asp

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Beth36

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:01:22 PM »

My mom was tested initially at UAB in Birmingham and when they found she has high PRA, they pretty much dropped her.  They STILL have NOT called us with our blood test results.....BUT the day we found out she has high PRA, we found that Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN can treat it.  So, she will have her transplant there. 

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 07:38:48 PM »

This site will let you check out the various states and their transplant centers and check how many people are listed at a center and the various transplant rates at the center.

http://www.ustransplant.org/csr/current/csrDefault.aspx
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:17:44 PM »

UCSD Hillcrest in San Diego.  I'm very pleased with the results.
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:00:06 PM »

Well, I have not transplanted yet, but I tested at two centers. UTMB Galveston, Texas was the 1st one and the testing was done so impersonally and without any thought to patient dignity or comfort so I declined their offer of a cardiac cath and went to The Methodist Hospital in Houston where I have been very pleased so far with information given, patient education and communication with the coordinators. I like the surgeons and know the staff.

I later found out through a reliable source that UTMB recently received a multi-million dollar grant to revamp their transplant program. They brought in new surgeons and coordinators. They needed new coordinators because the one I dealt with 2 years ago was a moron.

The interesting part about them getting the grant is that they were about to lose their Medicare certification. They serve a large low-income population, so its good that they got the money to make the program better. I hope it does improve because I would be able to list there in addition to Houston.

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
Meinuk

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 09:04:22 PM »

I'm at St. Lukes's Manhattan.  I really like Dr. Benvenisty - he came highly recommended.  He also did my fistula. And he recommended me to a wonderful surgeon when I needed other surgery.  They make you feel special even when there are hundreds of other people on the service. Not to say that after 2 + years I'm thinking about being multi-listed.  I'm just so sick of going to Dr's appointments right now, the thought of going to an additional medical center out of state just saps all of my energy.  Now that I am starting home hemo, I think that I'll just wait...

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 09:12:48 PM »

1st transplant, Sunrise Hospital, Las Vegas, NV.

2nd, Mercy Hospital, Des Moines, IA.

No complaints with either.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
waitlisted

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »

I will be going to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, TX

All evaluation work at Dallas Transplant Institute has been going very smoothly.
Lulu

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »

Bigsky thanks for the transplant center link. Very helpful.

I am currently trying to get in a transplant center and not having much luck. One in Orlando, FL sent a giant application package for me "to be considered." They also sent lab results for another patient with the packet by accident. So, don't think I will be using them. I was thinking about going to Southwest Regional in Ft. Myers, FL but I am having trouble getting them to accept me because I do not have medicare part B yet. Which, technically is automatically granted once I am admittted. I don't want to go to Miami. So, I am currently at a loss for what to do. Any suggestions? Anyone know anything about Florida transplant centers? And how do I choose a center what should I look for and what questions should I ask? Most Grateful for any help. Lulu
keefer51

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 02:20:20 AM »

I received my first transplant at Lehigh Valley hospital in Allentown Pennsylvania. My brother and i were the first sibling donor transplant at the hospital.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 03:04:16 AM »

So, I am currently at a loss for what to do. Any suggestions?

Try Tampa, they seem to do a good number of kidney transplants.  Sorry, I don't have any more info.
Since Florida has no helmet law, your wait may not be as long as elsewhere.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
st789

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »

St. Vincent in los angeles.
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »

Baylor Medical Center of Dallas - transplant
DTI (Dallas Transplant Institute) - Transplant Clinic

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
vandie

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 03:03:51 PM »

Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, listed Dec. 2005   Average wait-6 years

No average wait time given for someone with PRA of 100%---well, they did say something

Carolina Medical Center, Charlotte,N.C., listed May 2006       Average wait-2 years     
about 30 years or when hell freezes over!!!

Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore Md., listed Feb. 2006       

The second two centers do positive crossmatch transplants.  They all have been very willing to share tests results with each other(with no cost to me). I have been impressed with all three. I will say Carolina Medical Center was very quick with appointments and tests.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:34:13 PM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Beth36

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 05:41:41 PM »

LuLu

I heard that Florida has the shortest wait time for a kidney.  Mayo Clinic has a location in Florida in Jacksonville.  Tampa has Tampa General.  I don't know anything about these two places but they are the only two I know of.  I am sure there are lots of others.

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »

Otto and his brothers have had a total of 7 transplants all at the University of Minnesota and Otto's 2nd will make 8 needless to say they are awesome in our eyes.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 06:14:35 PM »

University of Pittsburgh's Starlz's Transplant Institute. No complaints. I love them!  :2thumbsup;
Jill D.

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 07:01:36 PM »

Mayo Clinic/Rochester Methodist Hospital in Rochester, MN :thumbup; :2thumbsup; :thumbup; :2thumbsup; :thumbup; :2thumbsup;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Roxy

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 07:31:23 PM »

And how do I choose a center what should I look for and what questions should I ask? Most Grateful for any help. Lulu

Lulu, for me it was important to check the statistics of the hospital. I was definitely more comfortable knowing that my transplant team was performing transplants weekly. You definitely want to be very comfortable with the team and have a good relationship. They're going to be taking care of you for as long as your new kidney works, so you want to make sure that you trust and have faith in their knowledge and abilities. When you meet with a transplant team, make sure they explain the process to you in detail; I know different hospitals sometimes do slightly different procedures before, during, and after transplant. Also, before you meet with a transplant team you might want to figure out if you prefer a steroid or non steroid treatment post transplant. This will help you in determining a hospital as well.  You might want to ask if they place a stent, because not all hospitals do this; so it is just good to know before hand. If I can think of anything else I will let you know. I hope some of this helped.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »

Also, before you meet with a transplant team you might want to figure out if you prefer a steroid or non steroid treatment post transplant. This will help you in determining a hospital as well. 

Not everyone is qualified to do this even if the hospital does it.. different factors allow people to either be able to go on a steroid or steroid-free protocol, just wanted to let that be known as well. :)

Speaking of your transplant team taking care of you for as long as your transplant works... this is what keeps me from moving, not that I am going to be moving right now anyways, but I mean.. I was thinking about it for in a few years.. and I just don't know if I want to give up my team for another one when I love this one so much..

Roxy

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 08:12:15 PM »

Speaking of your transplant team taking care of you for as long as your transplant works... this is what keeps me from moving, not that I am going to be moving right now anyways, but I mean.. I was thinking about it for in a few years.. and I just don't know if I want to give up my team for another one when I love this one so much..

Angela, good point about if people qualify for steroid vs. steroid free. Would your transplant team still stick with you if you lived in another state? I moved back to California and my team is in Seattle, but I stay in contact with them. I have a nephrologist here and if there is anything either of us get unsure about we contact the team. On top of that they get a report of all of my labs as if I was still there. I also plan on going to Seattle to "check in" with them every six months or so. I was just wondering if something like this was possible with your team??
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 08:15:57 PM »

I sure will ask about that Roxy... I was just planning on moving 4 hours away if I move at all... so I guess I could even still come back and so on, once I get to the point of every 3 months and so on.. Thanks! :)

Roxy

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »

:thumbup; No problem. I like it because I can live where I want, but my team is still very much "in charge" of my care. I love my doctor here, but he's not extremely familiar with steroid free protocols so it's more comforting to know he has to check with my transplant team if he wants to make any changes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »